UBI discussion Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
don't pay people not to work. If someone is physically able to work, they should. But the government better not touch my social security. I've been paying into that for40 plus years. IT IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! We paid for it.
2/11/2023 9:05 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 2/11/2023 9:05:00 PM (view original):
don't pay people not to work. If someone is physically able to work, they should. But the government better not touch my social security. I've been paying into that for40 plus years. IT IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! We paid for it.
100% Agree
2/14/2023 6:33 PM
when the robots take over there will be no work

they may wash my dishes mow my lawn and spiff my britches

but they will not pay FICA or SECA

if a corporation is not a person, certainly a robot is not a person

hence ergo thus

a corporation, if we are all to be paid, must be a person

as must all robots
2/14/2023 7:50 PM
2/14/2023 9:39 PM
2024. You enter a Walmart store. No cashiers, of course, no customer service people. Only a shelf stocker. You pick up 5 items and walk out of the store with them. As you leave, it your card gets read, and your account is auto debited. Of course you brought your own bag, cuz nobody there to pack your stuff

I think this i possibly coming, 'to a theatre near you' and I sure won't like it. Not one bit
2/14/2023 9:43 PM

2/14/2023 10:02 PM
Social security should be dissolved. People that have paid in deserve their money, but it’s a terrible system. Yes. I understand a lot of elderly people rely on it for survival, but it is the government’s way of compelling people to invest in retirement. The government’s job is not to protect people from themselves. That is what SSI does. If people invested the same money that is withheld for SSI in mutual funds they would see a MUCH bigger return over a 40 year period than what they receive from social security.

Government welfares programs are also garbage. They disincentivize hard work. We have them because the religious and social communities have failed. I do believe that we need social safety nets, but the federal government should be the last line of defense. It has become the primary line. Also, able-bodied people should not receive wages without earning them. If people receive welfare, they should be required to work. I believe San Diego County has this, but one of you west coasters can correct me if I’m wrong.
2/14/2023 10:45 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I just googled it. The top 50% pay over 96% of taxes. The bottom 50% pay 3.06%. This is per the IRS.

Per CNBC, the 61% of Americans paid no income taxes in 2020.

2/14/2023 10:53 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/14/2023 10:45:00 PM (view original):
Social security should be dissolved. People that have paid in deserve their money, but it’s a terrible system. Yes. I understand a lot of elderly people rely on it for survival, but it is the government’s way of compelling people to invest in retirement. The government’s job is not to protect people from themselves. That is what SSI does. If people invested the same money that is withheld for SSI in mutual funds they would see a MUCH bigger return over a 40 year period than what they receive from social security.

Government welfares programs are also garbage. They disincentivize hard work. We have them because the religious and social communities have failed. I do believe that we need social safety nets, but the federal government should be the last line of defense. It has become the primary line. Also, able-bodied people should not receive wages without earning them. If people receive welfare, they should be required to work. I believe San Diego County has this, but one of you west coasters can correct me if I’m wrong.
don't know that I agree about SS. My mom, could not have survived without SS the last 10 years of her life without it. Was her lack of any retirement funds her fault? Partially, but my Dad had alzheimers and much of her saving (which admittedly were not much) went towards his care. What should she have done?
I do agree that SS is not a great system, but I doubt our government can come up with anything better. Unles of course it benefits the congressmen and senators who would need to approve it.
2/15/2023 2:25 AM
and I live in San Diego Count where we have this:
Welfare-to-Work is the Employment Program of the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids Program (CalWORKs). If you are a CalWORKs recipient and able- bodied, you must participate in WTW activities to continue to receive cash aid.
2/15/2023 2:27 AM
Ending subsidies for Ranchers/Farmers to use public lands or limited water resources growing water intensive crops in arid areas would be a MUCH MUCH smarter move for the Fed. Gov't to make in the effort for fiscal responsibility than taking away folks SS benefits. Might even be an easier sell to most people.

I love cows but still don't want them running around in MY National Forest. END public grazing or at LEAST charge what it's actually worth.
Better yet STOP sending limited water to Farmers to grow cotton in the desert UNLESS they are paying full market value for their water!!
Right this minute you and I (taxpayers) are paying ranchers to graze their private cattle on OUR land and WE pay the price because the RANCHERS don't have to pay what the grazing is actually worth! We taxpayers subsidize the usage.

Same thing with supplying Colorado river water to cotton growers in Arizona. Other crops too! It makes NO SENSE and can NOT be justified to have taxpayers PAY for the cost of water used IRRESPONSIBLY for private profit by ranchers/farmers!

It's time to stop ALL the gravy trains and we should start with the gravy that goes to folks that don't NEED that gravy as much as the REALLY destitute.

I agree with my friend strikeout that SSI SHOULD NOT be a government program and that the parties that SHOULD be doing that role have failed.
But depending on those that have to provide a basic net for those who don't through the auspices of their doctrine to "care for others" is a pipedream that will NEVER work.

It is akin to voting Republican these days based on the R behind the name.
Foolish beyond belief!
2/15/2023 8:24 AM
"I just googled it. The top 50% pay over 96% of taxes. The bottom 50% pay 3.06%. This is per the IRS.

Per CNBC, the 61% of Americans paid no income taxes in 2020."

These stats are for income taxes!! That's NOT the FDIC deduction that funds SSI! Which is what I thought we were discussing.
EVERY worker on every paycheck (except a few NOT in the program, is there any?) has $$$ deducted to fund their SSI. It's called the FDIC deduction. (Stands for Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.)
BUT, once you reach a certain dollar amount you stop paying in! It's capped for RICH earners. Those who earn 6 figures and above yearly get to STOP paying the deduction partway thru the year once they reach a certain level of earnings. They pay nada for the rest of the work year!!

Folks who only earn 150 K or less per year keep paying in all year. On 100% of their income, while the wealthier earners sometimes pay for less than 6 months of paychecks and on a small percentage of THEIR work income. Thus they put in a far less percentage of THEIR wealth towards their OWN retirement account than a 30,000/yr. full time employed farm worker (or teacher, etc) pays into the fund.

Most of us pay on 100% of our earnings while the wealthier do NOT!!

Income tax paid in is a whole nother matter!!!
Pluswise we KNOW, the wealthy do everything they can to avoid paying ANY taxes!!
How much has our so-called wealthy former POTUS (Trump) paid in in taxes over the years.
He's NOT an outlier. They all do it!!
2/15/2023 8:39 AM
Posted by wylie715 on 2/15/2023 2:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/14/2023 10:45:00 PM (view original):

don't know that I agree about SS. My mom, could not have survived without SS the last 10 years of her life without it. Was her lack of any retirement funds her fault? Partially, but my Dad had alzheimers and much of her saving (which admittedly were not much) went towards his care. What should she have done?
I do agree that SS is not a great system, but I doubt our government can come up with anything better. Unles of course it benefits the congressmen and senators who would need to approve it.
Had your mom invested the same money that was withheld from her check, she would have had more money in retirement. Obviously I didn’t know your mother, so I’m speaking generally, but the problem is that most people are financially irresponsible.
2/15/2023 9:02 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
UBI discussion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.