Beernoser's Neighbor League Topic

redcped - dagger #2 can hit the 1945 Cinci Reds
3/23/2023 4:14 PM
summerfield- 1st dagger,

Lots of good choices to attack your pitching or your best bat in Jimmie Foxx. I think we increase of chances to succeed within the division with 1 less arm in your rotation. Tanana or Jack Scott or Figueroa are at the right prices to really cause cap problems if removed, but I can't allow the Donahue and Dolf Luque to be at every turn. I'd surmise that the Luque salary difference down to one of the aforementioned rotation starters won't leave a lot of $$$ to bolster that lineup around Foxx. Just the starting pitchers, cheap relievers and Foxx will get you to about 50-55 mil. Have fun surrounding Jimmie with 25-30 mil for 14 spots.

No Dolf Luque. No Anaheim Stadium.
3/23/2023 4:51 PM (edited)
midknight- For my 2nd dagger, please target the 1925 Brooklyn Robins.
3/23/2023 4:36 PM
Ok, faguyrd - after looking at your teams I see 3 good dagger candidates:
1) Taking Wally Berger away from your 35 Braves would eliminate the only quality player on that team and force you to use at least one of your '75 Reds outfielders as part of your "7".
2) Removng Joe Nolan and his 210 quality innings would put a dent in your pitching staff.
3) However, I'll go with the 3rd and most obvious option (at least to me). Cutting Johnny Bench which will force you to really downgrade at catcher. Bill Freehan is your next best option and that's one less pitcher you can use from your '65 Tigers.
No runs, No drips, No errors. No Johnny Bench and No Braves Field
3/23/2023 5:07 PM
Posted by ermocito on 3/23/2023 4:14:00 PM (view original):
redcped - dagger #2 can hit the 1945 Cinci Reds
My pleasure, ermocito!

Do you know what the 1955 Red Sox, 1935 Reds and 1965 Reds all had in common? Only one eligible second baseman each. As it happens, the 1945 Reds had two of them. We are about to find out what happens when one goes away.

Your second dagger goes to Kermit Wahl.

As I see it, you have a few options ... but they're all undesirable.

A) You can spend $2.2M on a backup you don't need.
B) You can play one of your remaining four at a secondary position, but your best option there would be D/D rated Billy Goodman sliding to 1B ... which wouldn't be so bad if you didn't already have a situation where even your two cheapest 1B will cost you $3M anyway.
C) You can downgrade yourself at another secondary position both offensively and defensively.

Also, have I mentioned that you have to use 6 players from those woeful 45 Reds and this would have at least been one cheap one?

I wish you luck solving the puzzle!
3/23/2023 5:08 PM
just4me - you can target the 1945 Philadelphia Blue Jays for my 2nd dagger.
3/23/2023 5:30 PM
oldtimer - 2nd dagger,

You did a nice job covering yourself with reasonable salaries and enough good starters to fill 2 rotations. You have some impressive power and fielding too. What do you not have? Depth in the the bullpen. Specifically, with relievers of a low WHIP. Your set up and bullpen guys like to issue some free passes. Who am I to get in the way of that?

Say goodbye to RP George Ziverink. 91 innings with 1.12 WHIP and only 17 walks all season-- would have been nice to have him at 2 mil and more money to pay all those big aces and sluggers. You can now spend a little more $$$ on those late innings guys with a higher WHIP. With the game in the balance, you should get familiar with the words: Take your base!
3/23/2023 6:32 PM
BeAllEndAll

Please dagger a 1925 Brave
3/23/2023 7:22 PM
_jpeterso,

I made the best team I could from your available people, and while mid-level on IF, it was very strong in certain places and close to 80m.

But then I brought it up to 6 SD players, and realized you would have some really tough decisions regarding Marichal & Mays. So, instead of making that decision for you, I tried to decide between (a) eliminating cheap options (b) making SD as painful as possible, or (c) biggest regression with a replacement. All three were tempting.

You have cheap depth everywhere but 1B/2B, but the 2nd dagger is likely to hurt.

Most SD players aren’t valuable starters except Randy Jones, who has a steep price tag.

Since you have 4 good # OF options, I decided to dagger 1B Willie McCovey (1965). That takes out 1975 McCovey too, and turns a top 5% hitter into a 40%-er (or worse).

I could have done something similar at 3B but you have more options there. The remaining 3 primary 1B are from teams where the 2nd dagger can cut deep, and if you want to let dagger #2 hit San Fran, that’s fine too. Or, channeling Vizzini from the Princess Bride...
  • You clearly cannot offer the 75 Tigers or your money situation will get far worse.
  • You clearly cannot offer the Padres or you have to roster even more overpriced scrubs.
  • You clearly cannot offer the 25 Tigers or you will have no serviceable 1B
  • You clearly cannot offer the Giants or you will lose yet another superstar.
This is the first time I ever wanted dagger #2 instead of dagger #1….

Your pitchers might enjoy the protection of San Diego Stadium, but they won't receive it.
3/23/2023 7:23 PM
Whalers10 -

Whalers had the following teams and dagger options

65 O's - Good pitching options - the only serviceable 2b is on this team but he isn't that much of an upgrade over a combo of the other options - no super cheap subs

55 Pirates - pretty terrible all the way around - no really good hitting options - subs at 1b and 3b - One decent pitching option - could dagger a sub to and force another crappy Pirate onto the roster or dagger the only decent pitching option on this team.

75 Expos - provide little help pitching - Gary Carter is an interesting option because of his catcher eligibility - subs at 1B/2B/OF

65 Braves - provide no rosterable 1B but do provide Joe Torre who can play 1B or C and Gene Oliver who is a decent C - Hank Aaron is the only star so he is decent option but pretty expensive for what he brings on offense - subs at ss and OF - O'dell is probably the best pitching option he has overall -

I thought about making them roster a somewhat expensive but crappy combo at 2b by daggering either the cheapest 2b or daggering Jerry Adair. However, the 1955 Pitrates are sooooo bad I think it is going to suck to try to find 6 players that are worthy of roster spots.

Say goodbye to 1955 Pittsburgh Pirate - P - Bob Friend, the only decent pitching option on this team. You can roster the subs but you have to roster some other players that will be painful.

Also - say goodbye to the hitters paradise at Jarry Park
3/23/2023 7:27 PM
ok _jwillis, you can hit me in a lot of different ways but I'll offer up the 75 Tigers. Hit me anywhere but in the face...
3/23/2023 7:47 PM
Posted by Beernoser on 3/23/2023 3:05:00 AM (view original):
ermocito -- for my second dagger, hit the 65 Senators
Dagger #2 hits Frank Howard.
3/23/2023 7:57 PM
evil_twin you have permission to dagger my 75 Expos
3/23/2023 8:08 PM
Calhoop - you may throw your dagger at the pile of garbage known as the 1935 Philadelphia Phillies.
3/23/2023 8:15 PM
Fun and games of Daggery is over when you try and get your team under $80M.

Just two Rd 1 daggers are left. Six Rd 2 daggers have been posted.
3/23/2023 9:19 PM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21|22 Next ▸
Beernoser's Neighbor League Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.