Beernoser's Neighbor League Topic

ermocito -- for my second dagger, hit the 65 Senators
3/23/2023 3:05 AM
Posted by BeAllEndAll on 3/23/2023 1:06:00 AM (view original):
1st dagger round,

Razor,

Initially, I thought, WOW! What a team! Pitching, offense and defense, this team has it all! And in your hands, well, we all know you raise the bar. You’re going to make it TOUGH! BUT, then I remembered we are using the great equalizer! This is an $80M league. This isn’t the juice6 tourney. LOL. Let see what you’re working with…

Offensively, you look great. Lots of good value and no one overly priced. Medwick and Collins are good targets, as is Hartnett. Maury Wills is interesting, too. But you do have Eddie Lake and, worst case scenario, Leo Durocher.

Defensively, well, your team is going to be average…unless you plan on keeping opponents from scoring with pitching and defense. E better look at what you have for pitching…

Damn, you have A LOT of pitching options. At least at SP…. then again… There aren’t a lot of RP stars at during the eras we are using. I seriously considered the ’65 Dodgers. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ’65 KOUFAX!!! But, that would probably be my downfall. Hmmm. Maybe we can push you that way…

For SP’s you have: 1935 Cardinals brothers Dizzy and Paul Dean. Besides Koufax, the ’65 Dodgers offer a $10M Drysdale and a very affordable $7.4M Osteen. The rest only offer an average Pete Alexander and a Dave Ferris that I really know nothing about (will change following this post). Hmmm… if salary wasn’t an issue, I would have a starting staff full of Dodgers and Cardinals. So… let’s affect that. Since we have the great equalizer, let’s screw with your pitching.

Dodger pitching is stronger than their hitting. I REALLY want to see your Koufax in this league. So…let’s do this… Osteen is the cheapest and probably on your short list. Go ahead and start over. Like I said, I REALLY WANT TO SEE KOUFAX IN THIS LEAGUE!

Say goodbye to Claude Osteen. And, since Koufax only performs well in pitcher parks, no Dodger Stadium for you. Let’s see how what kind of team you can build with the parks and pitchers you have left to choose from. But then again, you ARE one of the highly esteemed owners here. I’m sure you’ll build a team worthy of the WIS archives! Good luck, sir! Looking forward to our competition this season!
Thanks BeAllEndAll for all the nice compliments
3/23/2023 3:32 AM
Second dagger
fatguyrd you can dagger my ‘25 Cubs team
3/23/2023 3:34 AM
Seay00 You have lots of options for the offence that it was difficult to dager anyone As for the pitching it was obvious who the Ace was going to be so Dazzy Vance 25 is gone
Stadium is Cleveland Stadium is gone
3/23/2023 6:53 AM
Oldtimer can take from 55 Dodgers
3/23/2023 6:54 AM
Calhoop has an interesting collection of teams the 65 Angels, 35 and 55 Senators and the 45 Cardinals.
Cards and Angels give him starting rotation options and all teams give him a plethora of high on base options. The two areas of concern I see are power hitters and bullpen.
So who to dagger? On his 4 teams he only has 3 guys over 20 homers. Do I gas one of them? On his 4 teams he only has one guy I would want in my bullpen 65 Bob Lee.
So the decision is pretty simple. 65 Bob Lee with his 130+ innings and .200 OBA is gone.
Your Senators teams both played at Griffith Stadium which is a great pitchers park. However, your 65 Angels were still playing at Dodger Stadium which is an even better pitchers park.
Dodger Stadium isn't available.
3/23/2023 9:12 AM
Razor it looks like Gabby Hartnett would be your best hitting catcher, I know Roseboro is a great fielder, but Hartnett is the better hitter, so he is gone.
3/23/2023 10:02 AM
BeAllEndAll: Your squad was quite a challenge to dagger. Very well setup in terms of balance and depth. So, I'll start with the Second Dagger and take out Dodger Stadium. I don't know if that actually hurts, though, it just means you'll have to pay a little more attention to some of the finer details in drafting your team.

Didn't feel I could take out any of your pitchers as your depth there would have whomever was daggered replaced within a blink of the eye and without any impact on overall pitching quality. So, I felt going after a hitter was the best option. You have depth here, as well... and for a minute I thought the best solution would be to dagger one of your <$1m backups as it would then force you to waste about $1.5-2m on your second player for this particular position.

So, in the end, though you have some solid replacements, I thought losing Bobby Grich would end up having the biggest impact overall because of his cost effective offense+ defense. And now you have to spend more $/PA for either a worse bat or a worse glove.

Good luck, you've got a solid squad!
3/23/2023 10:04 AM
jonstephen25: I quickly honed in on the '35 Yankees as the team I wanted to dagger from. There may be solid options elsewhere, but given how few quality players on this roster, daggering here is going to essentially force you to take a lesser quality option, or force you to spend more $ than you'd like on bats in general. I felt that eliminating Red Rolfe. Key position, good bat, great glove, potential leadoff hitter... gone. I'm also going to take Oakland Coliseum away from you. Let those bats shine.
3/23/2023 10:27 AM
_jwillis, you've got a lot of flexibility in the way your teams fit together. They all offer a handful of useful players, and you have enough cheap options to fill your backup spots that I don't see any great way to hurt you there. You have a few more great hitters than you can probably afford, so I'm not sure how much I'd hurt you by removing one of them either.

But what does stand out to me when I look at your pitching options is that Vern Law of the 1965 Pirates is really your best starter by a good margin. I think it's time to break out the dagger and remove him from your roster.

As for stadium options, you could target your offense to different parks to a certain degree. There's possibly some temptation now that I've removed your best rotation option to try to save your lesser arms by sticking them in the Astrodome. But let's take that choice off the table. No dome for you!

Good luck!
3/23/2023 12:35 PM
Posted by eman7400 on 3/23/2023 6:54:00 AM (view original):
Oldtimer can take from 55 Dodgers
2nd Dagger - OF Duke Snider.
3/23/2023 12:40 PM
Posted by Beernoser on 3/22/2023 10:18:00 PM (view original):
Redcped loses Willie Stargell (1B) and Comiskey Park
jpeterso, for my second dagger you may have at the 1975 Atlanta Braves
3/23/2023 12:45 PM
Request - when you post 2nd dagger, can you please label it as such. Gets a little confusing if you don't. Thanks
3/23/2023 12:48 PM
Just4Me

2nd dagger hit
65’ Mets
you lose 24 game loser Jack Fisher SP
lucky you
3/23/2023 2:50 PM
Beernoser, you can second dagger my 1935 St Louis Browns.
3/23/2023 5:15 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...22 Next ▸
Beernoser's Neighbor League Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.