Posted by Midge on 4/12/2023 12:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by longtallbrad on 4/11/2023 9:45:00 PM (view original):
No surprise, but efg is off the charts with this bunch. It would be a crime if Embiid doesn't get a D bump with the announcement of All-Defense teams, as he's currently sitting at 60.
My first thought was that Lopez and Bam Adebayo would both get more all defense team votes than Embiid. That being said, the Embiid conundrum clearly shows that WIS needs to use a better system for defensive ratings. Furthermore, I want it to be understood that I re-wrote that sentence so I could use the word conundrum. Please let me know if you see an opportunity for me to use the word enigma.
"... clearly shows that WIS needs to use a better system to solve its defensive ratings enigma."
4/12/2023 12:29 AM
Only 4 players with 90+ D over 1200 mins. All seemingly useful except maybe Thybulle. Jaren Jackson awarded DPoY already with his 100. What happens if he doesn't win, will they drop him down?
4/12/2023 9:29 AM
Players with 1200 minutes - 4 over 70 efg and I didn't do the stick count, but about 30 over 60 efg. Including Sam Hauser who took 335 of his 396 shots from beyond the arc.
4/12/2023 9:32 AM
Jarred Vanderbilt PG eligible is pretty hilarious.
4/12/2023 10:11 AM
Posted by jcred5 on 4/12/2023 9:29:00 AM (view original):
Only 4 players with 90+ D over 1200 mins. All seemingly useful except maybe Thybulle. Jaren Jackson awarded DPoY already with his 100. What happens if he doesn't win, will they drop him down?
They never have. See: Dwyane Wade, Julius Erving, etc.
4/12/2023 3:56 PM
The Maestro Alex Carusso for a 90 - this Laker's fan will hate Pachinko forever for letting him go...
4/12/2023 7:36 PM
Posted by ashamael on 4/12/2023 12:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Midge on 4/12/2023 12:06:00 AM (view original):
No surprise, but efg is off the charts with this bunch. It would be a crime if Embiid doesn't get a D bump with the announcement of All-Defense teams, as he's currently sitting at 60.
My first thought was that Lopez and Bam Adebayo would both get more all defense team votes than Embiid. That being said, the Embiid conundrum clearly shows that WIS needs to use a better system for defensive ratings. Furthermore, I want it to be understood that I re-wrote that sentence so I could use the word conundrum. Please let me know if you see an opportunity for me to use the word enigma.
"... clearly shows that WIS needs to use a better system to solve its defensive ratings enigma."

"... clearly shows that WIS needs to use a better system-

let me stop you right there.../

4/12/2023 7:37 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 4/12/2023 10:11:00 AM (view original):
Jarred Vanderbilt PG eligible is pretty hilarious.
Position effectiveness inconsistency/illogic has been a problem for over a decade (Larry Bird isn't 100% effective at SF in every season).
4/12/2023 7:40 PM
Posted by ashamael on 4/11/2023 9:53:00 PM (view original):
With the hype around Brook Lopez this season for dpoy & the emergence of Claxton, I can see a world where he doesn't make either and remains a 60. I'm not saying it should be, but it certainly could be. I never know wtf the nba media is doing these days.
60 doesn't feel that off to me. Embiid has been good but not amazing on defense this season. I haven't even heard him in the conversation for any All Defense teams. 18th in D EPM among Centers, 5th in D RAPTOR among Centers, 6th in defensive plus minus, 51st in FG% +/- at the rim among centers. I realize there is no perfect defensive statistic but when taking them into context, along with the fact that he really hasn't been consistently mentioned for All Defense of Defensive Player of the Year by any credible NBA journalist, I think 60 feels like the right number IMO.

Btw, no slight, he is a good defender and I think he will ramp it up in the playoffs. And I don't love the WIS method or think it is perfect. I just don't want to reflexively make narrative based decisions to give people higher ratings unnecessarily.
4/13/2023 10:55 AM (edited)
I think you’re absolutely right about all of that. It seems to me that the only time I hear people talking about Embiid’s defense this season is something along the lines of “he plays better defense than Jokic.”
4/13/2023 12:21 PM
Posted by Midge on 4/13/2023 12:21:00 PM (view original):
I think you’re absolutely right about all of that. It seems to me that the only time I hear people talking about Embiid’s defense this season is something along the lines of “he plays better defense than Jokic.”
Yeah my experience as well.

I do think when Embiid turns it on he is awesome in a drop coverage. He can’t do it night to night with that offensive load though.
4/13/2023 12:33 PM
41 D rating for Davion Mitchell is beyond absurd. Not sure how, but something really needs to be changed with defensive ratings.
4/18/2023 3:39 AM
I think at least most of us agree that something better would be nice. There are a number of different systems for rating defense. I would suggest that we pick one, or maybe a combination of two or three systems and use that. If we can get WIS to totally change the assist% and update a bunch of old D ratings then I would like to think they would be open to improving defensive ratings for the greater good. The greater good.
4/18/2023 4:03 PM
Posted by beloud on 4/18/2023 3:39:00 AM (view original):
41 D rating for Davion Mitchell is beyond absurd. Not sure how, but something really needs to be changed with defensive ratings.
Out of curiosity, what do you think his rating should be and why?
4/18/2023 8:38 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 4/18/2023 8:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by beloud on 4/18/2023 3:39:00 AM (view original):
Out of curiosity, what do you think his rating should be and why?
If Harden is a 72 or 79, he is easily a 115. :)

Seriously though, he's one of the top on-ball defenders in the league. I think he's safely in the 75-80 D range.

*Just for clarity, I'm talking about Davion Mitchell and not Donovan Mitchell.

4/18/2023 9:12 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.