Favorite theme leagues. Topic

I was thinking about this last night and I thought maybe do a 48 (so it is free and clear of the ODL) and a 52, but make the 52 a clone wars league to make it different from The 52 Draft League. However, I like Ben’s suggestion too. I would be on board with a 46 and a 54 and make the banned league a 50. I can’t build a team with 47, so I don’t want to go any lower than 46. To keep it simple, the banned league should be no drafted players. I do like berkelon’s idea though, maybe we could vary it a little from year to year and make round six players eligible sometimes. I’m not clear about how the franchise league would work with twists. Can someone please explain how that would work. I would prefer $50 for the franchise league, but I am willing to do what the majority wants. I don’t think we need a cap for the most recent season draft. The last time I was in one of those we had to draft 15 players just to get enough minutes. As for the last league, I would be okay with an auto draft or a silent auction, but a lot of people don’t like those so I don’t want to chase people off over one theme. I like the idea of a clone wars draft, $50 million, six rounds, and seven players, the fun part being that you clone your second round pick. I have never done this and it sounds like fun.
4/19/2023 12:42 PM
I don’t think you should vary it from year to year.

twisting usually means you can use any season of a players career as long as he played for the franchise. So if you had the lakers you could use Miami LeBron instead of Lakers LeBron.

if you are insistent on $50M for the franchise league than you definitely need twists. Without twists that cap is way too high for their to be more than 8-10 competitive franchises.
4/19/2023 2:29 PM
I would rather do $48 million with no twist than $50 million with a twist. I also think we should play season one before we discuss what season two will look like.
4/19/2023 2:46 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 4/19/2023 2:29:00 PM (view original):
I don’t think you should vary it from year to year.

twisting usually means you can use any season of a players career as long as he played for the franchise. So if you had the lakers you could use Miami LeBron instead of Lakers LeBron.

if you are insistent on $50M for the franchise league than you definitely need twists. Without twists that cap is way too high for their to be more than 8-10 competitive franchises.
4/19/2023 3:08 PM
I created two that were fun:

One was the create your own theme league. Everyone has the same cap, but the team manager must select a theme and be beholden to it.

The other was the Bill Simmons Pyramid League. Back in ye olden days Bill Simmons was a writer kids. He pinned a book called The Book of Basketball. In this book he created the Hall of Fame Pyramid. You could select players in the pyramid based on what level they were at (One Patheon level player, two from each of the remaining four tiers, and the final three from everyone else). This league wouldn't be feasible now as LeBron was just at level two, there was no Harden, Luka, Giannis, Jokic, or Curry et al in the league or list at the time of his writing.

Another one from back in the day was the Poison Pill league. You select your team and then you have the choice of a specific garbage season from Isiah, Iverson, Kobe, Cousy, and nowadays Westbrook that you must start and play their full minutes.
4/19/2023 3:54 PM
I like all these ideas and I am in on whatever is decided
4/20/2023 4:50 PM
My fav non-progressive theme leagues are Scattergories, Banned player, ODL, and Silent Auction. I dislike the Banned Season and CDL. I think Benhoidal and Berkelon have some good ideas. I would like to see a theme that expands on the DDL where you do an Era Draft League instead of a Decade. I would love to see like a Jordan Era Theme 1984-2003 for example. Any era b4 all this 3 point shooting. Also, would love to see an ABA themed draft league
4/21/2023 9:33 PM
◂ Prev 123
Favorite theme leagues. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.