WIS team boxing Topic

I know this is not happening but it would be a great wis sport to have team boxing patterned on old RL team tennis.

my concept would be to break down a boxers career into segments - early , peak, post peak, and late.

There would be team caps and you choose stages of a career. Obviously peak is the most expensive per boxer.

Each team would have boxers from each class. I would place boxers like Marciano into light heavyweight or cruiser divisions

This could work for tennis and pro wrestling.
7/20/2023 6:30 PM
Marciano a LHW? the rest of the LHW guys would quit and take up knitting. He hit so **** hard, you would feel pain just watching

He did say, or Archie Moore (who was about 42 y.o. when they fought) "He is by far, the toughest guy I ever fought

Being a former amateur Middleweight, I will go with Carmen Basilio. but I can't quite picture what you are getting at, here

12/12/2023 5:18 PM
Hey, thanks for bringing up this topic.
First off, Rocky Marciano is my favorite boxer ever. I paid a pretty penny for an autographed program he was headlining.

I think that a boxer has to be at least 201 lbs to fight as a heavyweight today. Rocky fought between 185 - 193. He was never a heavyweight by today standards and rules. If he put on 15 to 20 Lbs maybe he would lose some agility and quickness or maybe not but it is all about weight classes. And he was a light heavyweight or cruiserweight. He fought a few heavyweights but boxers in those days were not as bulky as today.

Liston weighed about 210 I think which was a lot then but not today. BTW I think Marciano beats Liston.

12/12/2023 5:46 PM
Re cruiserweights Hollyfield is considered one of the best. I think that Charles and Walcott - HOF boxers were very similar to Hollyfield and Marciano handled them. I think that Marciano as a cruiserweight is the best there has ever been.
12/12/2023 5:53 PM
Re cruiserweights Hollyfield is considered one of the best. I think that Charles and Walcott - HOF boxers were very similar to Hollyfield and Marciano handled them. I think that Marciano as a cruiserweight is the best there has ever been.
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 12/12/2023 5:46:00 PM (view original):
Hey, thanks for bringing up this topic.
First off, Rocky Marciano is my favorite boxer ever. I paid a pretty penny for an autographed program he was headlining.

I think that a boxer has to be at least 201 lbs to fight as a heavyweight today. Rocky fought between 185 - 193. He was never a heavyweight by today standards and rules. If he put on 15 to 20 Lbs maybe he would lose some agility and quickness or maybe not but it is all about weight classes. And he was a light heavyweight or cruiserweight. He fought a few heavyweights but boxers in those days were not as bulky as today.

Liston weighed about 210 I think which was a lot then but not today. BTW I think Marciano beats Liston.

Marciano beats Liston.

Yep. and Sonny would die of exhaustion. Rocky never got tired. Rock would knock him out

Sonny was 215 for fight number 2 with Ali. Ali 6-3 and 209. He was one of the most fearless fighters of all time imho

Most under rated might have been Henry Cooper. Almost took the title except Angelo did that gloves thing, which bought Aloi time

None of them, hit as hard as the Rock.. Also one of my favourite people. Every time I hear some jerk say the Mafia owned him, I want to reach through the internet and punch him in the schnozz

I wish he had never got on that plane

12/17/2023 4:22 AM
Question of all time is this one" Would he have beaten Ali???? Ali was mouthy and arrogant (just part of the promo) but he had a good chin... and his jab perhaps the best ever. I watched him throw in from ringside at the North Shore Eagles boxing club, where he trained for the Chuvalo fight.

His busiest sparring partner was a welterweight from I dunno where, but that guy hit like a L H W. and at 147, was scary

If Rocky could make Ali stand still for a spell, he would ko him.. Otherwise Ali just might go the distance and get the decision
12/17/2023 4:26 AM
Another LHW terribly under rated was Billy Conn, who was ahead on points when Louis (200, 6-2, Conn 5-11, 175) Knocked him out

Off topic is dead as a brick
12/17/2023 4:32 AM
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 12/12/2023 5:53:00 PM (view original):
Holyfield, and 6-3, was like 219 when he beat Tyson. Evander never got a lot of media attention. Funny how that happens
12/17/2023 4:34 AM
I can see Marciano winning half the time against the Ali that fought Cooper but not the Ali that fought Liston and on. From 1965 to forced retirement Ali became the perfect combination of boxer and puncher. What a tragedy that he lost so much of his prime.
If he had not retired I’m sure that he would have beat Frazier the first time. Boxers lose something when they leave for a long time and then return.

Yes Marciano was a great puncher but the most amazing thing about him is how he could get inside on any of his opponents with longer reaches so easily.
That is the reason many imagine him fighting super heavyweights.

If he fought at 220 and with his skill package who knows. He would have been better then David Tua. Rocky was a miracle - he could rise to the challenge if he added weight IMO.

Henry Cooper was a great fighter indeed.

During his suspension it is a shame that Ali stopped fighting. I could see some lucrative non sanctioned but real matches against Liston and some bouts against European champs and aging but still great top 30 boxers who would have gone for a big payday and risked some type of suspension. Ali’s career would have continued against real competition and he would not have lost any of his groove.
12/17/2023 9:04 AM (edited)
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 12/17/2023 9:04:00 AM (view original):
I can see Marciano winning half the time against the Ali that fought Cooper but not the Ali that fought Liston and on. From 1965 to forced retirement Ali became the perfect combination of boxer and puncher. What a tragedy that he lost so much of his prime.
If he had not retired I’m sure that he would have beat Frazier the first time. Boxers lose something when they leave for a long time and then return.

Yes Marciano was a great puncher but the most amazing thing about him is how he could get inside on any of his opponents with longer reaches so easily.
That is the reason many imagine him fighting super heavyweights.

If he fought at 220 and with his skill package who knows. He would have been better then David Tua. Rocky was a miracle - he could rise to the challenge if he added weight IMO.

Henry Cooper was a great fighter indeed.

During his suspension it is a shame that Ali stopped fighting. I could see some lucrative non sanctioned but real matches against Liston and some bouts against European champs and aging but still great top 30 boxers who would have gone for a big payday and risked some type of suspension. Ali’s career would have continued against real competition and he would not have lost any of his groove.
The Boxing commission is a total joke.

IMO 3 things ruined pro boxing

Stripping Ali of his title, and banning him from boxing for that period of time. That said, I strongly disagree with his dodge of the draft, and I doubt he would have seen combat

Stripping Archie Moore of his LHWT title, which he held for 13 years.

Liston's dive' in fight 2. My sister can hit harder than that one

along with the fast ten count by the ref. They stopped the fight and Liston was back on his feet.

All is further proof that the world has always been ruled by A**holes

. Racist buggers tried to keep Moore down. Could have taken the title eight-ten years earlier.
. but Conn was
the man. As much as I believe the racist card is grossly overplayed today, it was very real in and before the mid 60's

I would be mugged in O Topic for saying this, but it was a democrat, who was set against integration in the deep south. and who tried to bar James Meredith from entering U of Arkansas
bk to the topic

Moore most under rated. Dang at age 43 he dropped Marciano.. but Rocky was not dizzy. the Old Mongoose still holds the record for most career knockouts

Ge was very hard to hit (Rocky) great at the bob and weave.

One guy you might remember is Basilio vs Sugar Ray Robinson.. at 5-7, and 147 Carmen was amazing. Robinson 5-11 and at 160. One of the best title fights ever and the little guy beat him.

He would have made LHW champion too, except it was so hot he couldn't get off his stool for the next round, but he was ahead on points. So Joey Maxim kept his title

Of all the places to hold a title fight, they pick an outdoor arena. I think it was Yankee Stadium, and in NYC it can hit 100f and it hit 103 that day

If only Sugar Ray had discovered the weight room.. He would have taken that title too, eventually.. just make him 170
12/17/2023 9:31 PM (edited)
Marciano would be best at around 198-202 tops. His reach was only 68 inches.

Tyson was same height and went at 215. Scary dude. . but not as tough as Rocky

Good to see Tyson beat down his 'demons' his ex wife was a total witch.. trashing him right on public T.V. and there was Mike, sitting right beside her, looking like he was under sedation

I think the interview is still on U Tube

About Ali, he did not hit all that hard, but if a guy is tired and you catch him 'coming in' he will often drop

I remember a LHW named Wes Craven who had a much harder l hook than ali, and ditto the right X.. and he was an amateur. He was scary powerful for a lhw. Turned pro, got to 200; won half his fights by k.o. and lost half because his chin was suspect. He became a pro sparring partner, and worked, fought at 200 and he broke Boone Kirkwood's collarbone in a sparring session

Craven LOOKED like he was 190+ when he won the B.C golden Gloves in 1965. He was from Portland

He hit Fred Derosiers with just 2 punches and it was OVER. Fred had quite a good record

First shot was a rght cross to the solar plexus, which is a very hard shot to make, as you are open for dynamite. Followed up with L H to the head. Game over
12/26/2023 2:51 AM (edited)
I agree with most everything but I don’t have a lot of time. I’m eating a hearty breakfast and I’m giving platelets later.

But I have to disagree on Liston 2. He was hit by an anchor punch. Ali has used the same short punch for a KO in at least one other fight.

If you can find that sequence slowed down you can see the delivery and Liston’s head gets snapped back.
Watch it. It might change your mind.
12/18/2023 12:13 PM
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 12/18/2023 12:13:00 PM (view original):
I agree with most everything but I don’t have a lot of time. I’m eating a hearty breakfast and I’m giving platelets later.

But I have to disagree on Liston 2. He was hit by an anchor punch. Ali has used the same short punch for a KO in at least one other fight.

If you can find that sequence slowed down you can see the delivery and Liston’s head gets snapped back.
Watch it. It might change your mind.
My mind is changeable

Curious about one thing: You blocked my fronm sending a sitemail. any particular reason??

Tried to wish you a Merry Christmas, but I am blocked

so Merry Christmas anyhow

Glen

p.s. it is easy to hit the wrong button as they are very close together
12/26/2023 2:20 AM
123 Next ▸
WIS team boxing Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.