A History of The Great War - Composing the Outline Topic

I was looking at the Non-Sports forum over the past calendar year and, excluding spam and a bunch of Shtickless-inspired threads that had a brief run, the topics covered were roughly 70 political and 10 non-political. 70-10? Since when did non-sports, about as broad of a category as one can create, mean politics in our society?

It's bullsh*t, it's boring and it's destructive. Not that politics aren't important. They are. It's the way Americans go ABOUT politics which has turned dangerous and disgusting. Neo-fascist totalitarians screaming at neo-Marxist totalitarians and neither side saying a damn thing of real consequence. So, I'm going to create a thread here that literally nobody will care about because it has nothing to do with the obsession that is American politics today.

This thread will be dedicated to World War I - easily the most fascinating war in the past few centuries of European history (since the Napoleonic Wars at least) and one of the most fascinating conflicts of all time regardless of continent. If your exposure to The Great War is through brain-dead Ivy League drivel, this will be a different approach. As a academician, I was trained NOT to superimpose current day morals and ethics onto historical periods, something the League can't help but do out of arrogance and narcissism. It skews and ruins everything history should be teaching us. This will be a level discussion, not slanted to the left nor the right and without all of the revisionist garbage found in today's textbooks and on the Internet.

If you do read, I hope you enjoy. All of my content will be in the unbroken reserved posts starting with this one. I have no doubt people will post cat memes and political Jabberwocky below my final one marked "reserved." At least I will be contributing something to Non-Sports other than politics, like Lenny's good Lists for the Listless thread. There should be more threads like that one, or this one, or anything other than political hate. If you want to reach me about this topic, please sitemail me. I'd love to hear from you.
8/10/2023 7:46 PM (edited)
The Origins of the Conflict
  1. Decline of The Ottoman Empire
  2. European State System
  3. Nationalism and Imperialism
  4. Revolutions of the Mid-Nineteenth Century and the Writings of Karl Marx
  5. Franco-Prussian War
8/16/2023 11:10 PM (edited)
The Military Doctrine of Germany and France
  1. Evolution of Plan XVII
  2. Schlieffen Plan of 1905
  3. Moltke the Younger Plan
8/16/2023 11:17 PM (edited)
Assassination of Austrian Heir-Presumptive Archduke Franz Ferdinand
  1. The July Crisis
  2. Mobilization
  3. Austrian Declaration of War
8/16/2023 11:18 PM (edited)
The Opposing Forces
  1. The 2nd German Empire
  2. Austria-Hungary
  3. The Ottoman Empire
  4. Great Britain
  5. France
  6. Russian Empire
  7. Kingdom of Italy
  8. Minor Combatants - Belgium, United States, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Japan
8/16/2023 11:31 PM (edited)
Invasion of Belgium
  1. Siege of Liège
  2. Placement of the B.E.F. under Sir John French
  3. French 5th Army under Charles Lanrezac
8/16/2023 11:31 PM (edited)
Battle of the Frontiers
  1. Mons
  2. Namur
  3. Le Cateau
8/16/2023 11:32 PM (edited)
Alsace-Lorraine
8/12/2023 6:48 PM (edited)
Austrian Offensives in Serbia and Poland
  1. Austrian Military Plans
  2. Battles of the Sava and Sabac
  3. Austrian Attack into Russian Poland
  4. Russian Counter-Offensive into Galicia
8/16/2023 11:33 PM (edited)
East Prussia
  1. Gumbinnen
  2. Dismissal of Prittwitz and Appointment of Paul von Hindenberg and Erich Ludendorf to 8th Army
  3. Battle of Tannenberg
8/16/2023 11:36 PM (edited)
First Marne
  1. German Left Wheel at Amiens
  2. 1st and 2nd Army Coordination
  3. Attack by 6th Army and the B.E.F.
  4. German Retreat to the Aisne
8/16/2023 11:40 PM (edited)
Dismissal of Moltke the Younger and Promotion of Erich von Falkenhayn
  1. German Strategic Revision
  2. Attack on Antwerp
8/16/2023 11:53 PM (edited)
Race to the Sea
  1. Belgian Retreat
  2. 1st Ypres
  3. Creation of the Trench System
8/16/2023 11:54 PM (edited)
Eastern Theatre
  1. 1st Masurian Lakes
  2. 1st Battle of Warsaw
  3. 2nd Russian Invasion of East Prussia
  4. 2nd Austrian Attack on Serbia
8/16/2023 11:55 PM (edited)
Ottoman Campaigns
  1. Sinai
  2. Caucusus
8/17/2023 12:00 AM (edited)
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
A History of The Great War - Composing the Outline Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.