Posted by BenJoker on 9/6/2023 5:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 9/6/2023 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Midge on 9/6/2023 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 9/6/2023 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by raggedclaws on 9/6/2023 12:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by samuelyork93 on 9/6/2023 11:24:00 AM (view original):
So I drafted Green assuming he could play PF but he is only 97% there. That makes NO sense. And now all the big men are gone.

I am going with

Harrison Barnes
and
Shake Milton

sm help???
That one is especially nuts. I mean, their most common starting lineup was Steph / Klay / Wiggins or Donte / Draymond / Looney. Even if we're calling Looney a center now (lol), how the f*** is Draymond not at least a valid 4? Shouldn't even be a 1/2. No sense at all.
I have a pretty good theory on why and I am not sure I blame them too much for it. For the longest time they had a stable data provider and that data provider had position data. A while after they got bought by Sportshub, they changed their data provider, I am guessing to cut costs (people like BBR got real expensive). I am guessing the new provider does not provide position data. To deal with that, I think they probably built a simple model using the historical players' positions in the database with height, weight, maybe blocks, steals, some other stats, whatever to generate a position generating formula. Unfortunately, the last several years, players have gotten smaller, shoot more threes, etc. than historically so a model based on the historic database is going to generate players lower on the positional scale. However, building a model entirely from scratch is a pretty big undertaking, which is why you don't see it done on other websites... and changing to a bigger data provider is probably pretty damn expensive for what is a pretty small userbase.

It is not an enviable position to be in if my theory is correct.
Or they could have someone spend an afternoon looking at NBA rosters and see how teams have their players classified. Then correct the mistakes. It shouldn’t take a UNIVAC to fix this, just a little effort and some common sense.
Building processes around qualitative assessments is objectively stupid.
Expecting people to pay money for broken systems is even more stupid.
And yet…
9/6/2023 6:02 PM
Posted by pexetera on 9/6/2023 5:42:00 PM (view original):
I think if someone started a thread, we could all collaborate on a list of player positions that need to be fixed. I'm guessing if we submitted a list to WIS that they could manage to get it updated. They did it with the defensive ratings based on feedback provided. Anyone interested?
Shooting normalization has a well defined write up and solution design already and personally I am not generating any enhancement related noise until that gets implemented as I see it as a much larger issue.
9/6/2023 6:13 PM
I agree that shooting normalization is a bigger issue than position effectiveness. they don't have a queue for improvements? it can go at the end of the queue. Is confidence so low that improvements can only happen in absolutely linear non-multitasking sequence? I know confidence was that low before with seble, I had hoped it might be better now after transition. especially after they fixed some of the age old defensive rating issues. there was some hope re-instilled. at least for me.
9/6/2023 7:56 PM (edited)
Posted by pexetera on 9/6/2023 7:56:00 PM (view original):
I agree that shooting normalization is a bigger issue than position effectiveness. they don't have a queue for improvements? it can go at the end of the queue. Is confidence so low that improvements can only happen in absolutely linear non-multitasking sequence? I know confidence was that low before with seble, I had hoped it might be better now after transition. especially after they fixed some of the age old defensive rating issues. there was some hope re-instilled. at least for me.
They had laid out a pretty linear path when the new staff came on board, seemed to have a priority list, we had a core team, did designs for most of the items, they implemented the first two items and then crickets after that.
9/6/2023 9:00 PM
I know you and ash and a few others were instrumental in a lot of that development. it was hugely needed and appreciated.
9/6/2023 11:15 PM
and ben too, can't forget about ben
9/7/2023 7:16 AM
Posted by pexetera on 9/7/2023 7:16:00 AM (view original):
It was mostly Rob. He did all the cool stuff. I just bugged admin over and over until they gave in.
9/7/2023 8:53 AM
Posted by benhoidal on 9/7/2023 8:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by pexetera on 9/7/2023 7:16:00 AM (view original):
It was mostly Rob. He did all the cool stuff. I just bugged admin over and over until they gave in.
Eh, you designed the entire defense enhancement. That was the one I didn't do anything with.
9/7/2023 8:59 AM
well, you struck while the iron was hot. guess it's not hot anymore. lol
9/7/2023 10:56 AM
I am very serious about creating a competitive site. I did it once with baseball but the MLB was being highly litigious at the time and my server costs were getting crazy So I know how to build 80% of it. Basketball is definitely a trickier algorithm but I have most of the core mapped out. Unlike this dumb company, I would crowd source my core users and incentivize them. My goal is to quickly build a prototype and present it the NBA - that way you never worry about data costs or potential legal hassles. Any owners that are interested in contributing, hit me up on sitemail and we can talk offline.
9/7/2023 3:48 PM
Or not
9/13/2023 7:58 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.