Developer Q&A - Answers Provided Topic

Player attributes are vital to team success. Athleticism is important to all positions. The level of importance you put on each attribute for each positions varies based on what you want those positional players to do, but here are the general attributes you would want for each position in descending order of importance. QB:Technique, Strength, Athleticism, Elusiveness, Game_Instinct
RB: Elusiveness, Speed, Strength, Athleticism, Game_Instinct, Hands
WR: Hands, Speed, Athleticism, Elusiveness, Game_Instinct
TE: Athleticism, Strength, Blocking, Hands, Game_Instinct, Speed, Elusiveness
OL: Blocking, Strength, Athleticism, Game_Instinct
DL: Athleticism, Strength, Tackling, Game_Instinct, Speed
LB: Tackling, Game_Instinct, Strength, Athleticism, Speed
DB: Game_Instinct, Speed, Athleticism, Tackling, Hands, Strength

This is a fairly big change from previous iterations of "Core Attributes"

10/3/2023 5:44 PM
Going to clear up a couple things after seeing some comments.
  1. No, the engine has not been changed. We only changed the way players' positional overall scores are calculated to better represent what attributes they are using in game. The GUESS ratings, along with your custom positional ratings, are just as accurate as before.
  2. Technique is still a good general attribute to have on all players, similar to Stamina. We do not weigh it into positional ratings for most positions, as they do not directly affect their roles in-game. They do play a part in consistency ratings, combined with the players Formation IQ, so they are still a good tiebreaker attribute when deciding between players.
10/3/2023 7:47 PM
Technique is still a good general attribute to have on all players, similar to Stamina. We do not weigh it into positional ratings for most positions, as they do not directly affect their roles in-game. They do play a part in consistency ratings, combined with the players Formation IQ, so they are still a good tiebreaker attribute when deciding between players.

What does that even mean?

Serious question. Are you guys making this shite up or have you actually checked the programming to see how things work. What you have come up with goes against what the developers have told us in the past. Both in live Q&as and in guides.
10/4/2023 12:09 AM
No, the engine has not been changed. We only changed the way players' positional overall scores are calculated to better represent what attributes they are using in game. The GUESS ratings, along with your custom positional ratings, are just as accurate as before.

...and what does this mean? So much of what you are saying is nonsensical. You say something in one sentence and completely contradict it in the next.
10/4/2023 12:12 AM
Posted by Niewski on 10/3/2023 7:47:00 PM (view original):
Going to clear up a couple things after seeing some comments.
  1. No, the engine has not been changed. We only changed the way players' positional overall scores are calculated to better represent what attributes they are using in game. The GUESS ratings, along with your custom positional ratings, are just as accurate as before.
  2. Technique is still a good general attribute to have on all players, similar to Stamina. We do not weigh it into positional ratings for most positions, as they do not directly affect their roles in-game. They do play a part in consistency ratings, combined with the players Formation IQ, so they are still a good tiebreaker attribute when deciding between players.
I'm completely confused. On the one hand you are saying the GUESS ratings are accurate, but this comes just after jholtus posted this:

"here are the general attributes you would want for each position in descending order of importance.
QB:Technique, Strength, Athleticism, Elusiveness, Game_Instinct
RB: Elusiveness, Speed, Strength, Athleticism, Game_Instinct, Hands
WR: Hands, Speed, Athleticism, Elusiveness, Game_Instinct
TE: Athleticism, Strength, Blocking, Hands, Game_Instinct, Speed, Elusiveness
OL: Blocking, Strength, Athleticism, Game_Instinct
DL: Athleticism, Strength, Tackling, Game_Instinct, Speed
LB: Tackling, Game_Instinct, Strength, Athleticism, Speed
DB: Game_Instinct, Speed, Athleticism, Tackling, Hands, Strength"

Which directly conflicts with GUESS ratings at several positions. For example, GUESS weighs WR attributes as GI --->ELU/ATH--->Speed/Hands in that order, but jholtus above claims that Hands --->SP--->ATH--->ELU--->GI is the correct order of importance for WR attributes. The rankings are clearly and substantially different. How is it possible for GUESS and jholtus to both be accurate?

GUESS and generations of winning coaches have always treated GI as a primary and pehaps the most important attribute for QBs, but now jholtus is telling us that it less important than ELU?

There's an obvious disconnect here.
10/4/2023 3:15 AM (edited)
I guess I've been recruiting all the wrong attributes. that's weird.
10/4/2023 2:38 AM
Posted by realist9900 on 10/4/2023 12:12:00 AM (view original):
No, the engine has not been changed. We only changed the way players' positional overall scores are calculated to better represent what attributes they are using in game. The GUESS ratings, along with your custom positional ratings, are just as accurate as before.

...and what does this mean? So much of what you are saying is nonsensical. You say something in one sentence and completely contradict it in the next.
It means whatever level of accuracy you had prior to recent updates has not changed. Could be 90% accurate. Could be 10% accurate. It hasn't changed. If you have custom position ratings, or use GUESS ratings, and you are having success you shouldn't be worried about the recent updates. If you aren't having success you should try using the new positional ratings for recruiting.
10/4/2023 9:20 AM
Posted by realist9900 on 10/4/2023 12:09:00 AM (view original):
Technique is still a good general attribute to have on all players, similar to Stamina. We do not weigh it into positional ratings for most positions, as they do not directly affect their roles in-game. They do play a part in consistency ratings, combined with the players Formation IQ, so they are still a good tiebreaker attribute when deciding between players.

What does that even mean?

Serious question. Are you guys making this shite up or have you actually checked the programming to see how things work. What you have come up with goes against what the developers have told us in the past. Both in live Q&as and in guides.
Player output varies from play to play. High technique, combined with Formation IQ, will keep output more consistent.
10/4/2023 9:28 AM
Posted by Niewski on 10/4/2023 9:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by realist9900 on 10/4/2023 12:12:00 AM (view original):

It means whatever level of accuracy you had prior to recent updates has not changed. Could be 90% accurate. Could be 10% accurate. It hasn't changed. If you have custom position ratings, or use GUESS ratings, and you are having success you shouldn't be worried about the recent updates. If you aren't having success you should try using the new positional ratings for recruiting.
If WIS is acknowledging that GUESS ratings are not entirely(could be 10%!) accurate, then why did WIS decide to incorporate those inaccurate ratings into the game?

Knowing they were wrong, why didn't you edit/correct the formulas before releasing them?

See my WR/QB examples above. GUESS differs substantially from WIS on some attributes.

What was the thought process behind knowingly giving coaches game features that you know are not correct?
10/4/2023 3:57 PM (edited)
What we do know

1. Game engine hasn't been changed
2. Previous attribute importance, including core attributes, were provided to us through dev chats and feedback over the years.
3. Current devs disagree with the original developers regarding attribute importance. Yet, say nothing has changed with the game.

Very confusing.
10/4/2023 4:23 PM
Question #1
Let's say I have a RB that is rated under his picture as an 88 SPEED, but he comes out in my Position Roles as an 83 SPEED...
When he plays Is he going to perform as an 88 or is he going to perform as an 83?

Question #2
Tarek told me years ago that if you have a player set at 90% FATIGUE he will have lost 10% of all of his talent numbers
when hits the 90%, Is that he way it works?
10/4/2023 5:52 PM
Posted by ez37 on 10/4/2023 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Question #1
Let's say I have a RB that is rated under his picture as an 88 SPEED, but he comes out in my Position Roles as an 83 SPEED...
When he plays Is he going to perform as an 88 or is he going to perform as an 83?

Question #2
Tarek told me years ago that if you have a player set at 90% FATIGUE he will have lost 10% of all of his talent numbers
For Question #1 - Role Ratings should not affect player ATTRIBUTES at all. Just the "score" they get for the position rating.

I don't know the answer to #2.
10/4/2023 6:35 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 10/4/2023 6:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ez37 on 10/4/2023 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Question #1

Question #2
For Question #1 - Role Ratings should not affect player ATTRIBUTES at all. Just the "score" they get for the position rating.

I don't know the answer to #2.
Thanks so much for the quick comeback Bob ,
So ......You're saying he would be playing at the 88 level?,
10/4/2023 8:00 PM
So, for example, if TECH is not even regarded for an OL/DL's WIS "player rating" (I'm assuming this is their rank within the recruiting class), does TECH play a part in the player's IN-GAME performance? If it does, why wouldn't this be part of the "player rating" formula?

Do the "core attributes" that were provided earlier affect IN-GAME player performance or are they just for show to help "rank" the recruit with the WIS player ratings?
10/5/2023 9:46 AM
The more I think of it, maybe the 2 attributes at 'either end' are the ones that play a role in every attribute, for every play.
We already understand this to some degree with Athleticism, and that seems to make sense. It turns out that Technique works the same way - everything you execute on every play is affected by Technique in some way, just as Athleticism does.
So both are a small modifier all of the time, for everybody, and have some level of importance for every player.

Maybe.
10/5/2023 3:47 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Developer Q&A - Answers Provided Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.