I got really excited by an 18yo IFA's stats and completely overlooked his Health rating --- $24M later I get him and he has 11 (eleven) health. What should I be expecting here? Any chance he ever gets close to his peak without injuries ravaging him throughout the minors?
10/18/2023 10:38 AM
He'll be on and off the DL mostly constantly. If you keep your Medical budget at 20 Mil you might be able to offset long term damage and potentially juice his ratings with (sometimes unreliable) 60-Day DL recoveries.

I was in a world awhile ago - I can't pull the pitcher for you - there was a superb SP with something like 5 Health. I mean ACE SP1 ratings except for his health. He was absolute lights out while pitching, but only got through one or two seasons without 60-Day stints, IIRC.

10/18/2023 11:24 AM
Some position players miss relatively little time even with very low health: Bill Hall is an example. Lots of 15-day stays but only a few 60s. So if he plays a corner position, just go for it.

For a pitcher, use him as a reliever regardless of his DUR/ST. Pitchers (and for that matter, position players) are more vulnerable to injury when they are fatigued, both in-game and between games. Bonk Barmes has only one 60-day stay with HE = 48.
10/18/2023 12:35 PM
So I assign this guy to LoA - literally first at-bat he gets injured :D granted just a day but hilarious.

BTW - is 60 day DL the standard practice for young guys that get injured, even if their injury is less than 60 days, to maximize recovery?
10/18/2023 2:13 PM
Pay attention to the type of injury. If it's a pitcher with a sore shoulder, you can 60 him and get two injury recoveries instead of one. Sore groin, not much point.

Also if you're going to use the 60 like this, you should have 20M Medical. I don't think you get the extended benefits with less than 20.

10/18/2023 2:39 PM
Posted by damag on 10/18/2023 11:24:00 AM (view original):
He'll be on and off the DL mostly constantly. If you keep your Medical budget at 20 Mil you might be able to offset long term damage and potentially juice his ratings with (sometimes unreliable) 60-Day DL recoveries.

I was in a world awhile ago - I can't pull the pitcher for you - there was a superb SP with something like 5 Health. I mean ACE SP1 ratings except for his health. He was absolute lights out while pitching, but only got through one or two seasons without 60-Day stints, IIRC.

I was about to give an example of where low health is a good thing, but thats LOOOOOOW. My guys that I 'broke' and put on the super solider program had health around 50.

If you have patience this can be an interesting experiment. Keep medical at 20. Expect him to get injured alot. Pray for the golden injures (arm injuries around 35 days). He'll probably get to a point where he is better then you ever could possibly imagine, BUT he won't get there until he's getting close to 30.

A few quick question. What position is he? SP? Defensive fielder? Power hitter?

What is his Makeup? If its below 40 you may be in trouble. If its above 70 you are golden like a goose. Anything in the middle and you'll be fine with a little luck
10/18/2023 2:41 PM
10/18/2023 4:32 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 10/18/2023 2:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by damag on 10/18/2023 11:24:00 AM (view original):

I was about to give an example of where low health is a good thing, but thats LOOOOOOW. My guys that I 'broke' and put on the super solider program had health around 50.

If you have patience this can be an interesting experiment. Keep medical at 20. Expect him to get injured alot. Pray for the golden injures (arm injuries around 35 days). He'll probably get to a point where he is better then you ever could possibly imagine, BUT he won't get there until he's getting close to 30.

A few quick question. What position is he? SP? Defensive fielder? Power hitter?

What is his Makeup? If its below 40 you may be in trouble. If its above 70 you are golden like a goose. Anything in the middle and you'll be fine with a little luck
Obviously mannytannner is better equipped to answer these questions than I am since he has more accurate projections, but this is in one of the worlds I commish and I’m curious about the exact profile of the kind of guy who makes sense for the 60 trick so here are the answers as far as I can tell from the outside:

1) he’s listed as an RF but my guess is he ends up playing most of his games at LF
2) current makeup is 52 but it will probably go significantly higher
10/19/2023 6:56 AM
The makeup is more important then the position I find. 50+ should be ok.
Position players CAN benefit more from the 60 day DL then pitchers especially if they are middle infielders or guys that are speedsters on the base paths.

I don't actually know if player receive more injuries based off of what they do or if its just totally random, but a pitcher will only gain useful points if its an arm, shoulder or finger injury. A position player will get better hitting ratings for arms, shoulders, fingers and back. And will get better range and base running for legs.

Abs tend to increase health and durability. Which is fine but I find those boring.
10/19/2023 3:09 PM
I present to you Player Profile: Clarence Ramirez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

He has been injured 60 day DL every season, but has steadily grown through recovery cycles. Still nowhere near where he was projected on draft day. He has actually forced me to include a health check on my player ranking system to specifically avoid overvaluing his types.
10/24/2023 11:59 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.