Could we please fix HS/COL Scouting???? Topic

Just went through yet another draft in which I went 20/20 in HS/COL scouting where I did NOT see a top player. The guy went #2 in the draft, and looking at his projections now, he looks like a quality ML player. I would not have ranked him 2nd, but he's at least a top 25 player. It is unrealistic in this day/age for players for teams that invest highly into scouting to NOT even have awareness of top 100 players. You might as well drop down to 0/0, take your chances, and spend the 40M in FA where you know what you're getting. It gives us as owners very little incentive to look forward to the draft...
10/20/2023 10:52 AM
Its going to sound a little tongue in cheek but I know a few owners that have done that and swear by it. $40+ Million will buy a lot of free agents (or a few really good ones) and if you don't care about the draft losing your top pick is irrelevant.

A top 100 would be a bit much because then no one would scout. Maybe a top 5? I do agree though scouting and drafting does need a massive overhaul for HBD.
10/20/2023 2:57 PM
Same thing for international scouting. I'm in a world where I have $20M IFA scouting but never saw the best IFA the world had this season. We are not talking a common MLer here. The player projects to be a super stud that everyone in the real world would have known about. I can understand not seeing a few ML quality players if you have a $18-19M budget but at $20M one should see at least all the players that have a projected overall rating of say 80 or higher.
10/22/2023 4:05 AM (edited)
I get your guys’ frustration. I’ve had plenty of budgets go to waste on drafts and ifa's that never amounted to anything.

At the same time, the prospects in hbd almost always come close to their scouted ratings (if maxed). I view it as a way to make up for the fact that prospects bust way more in real life. if you put 20/20 in the draft you see about 90% of the pool, in ifa it seems to be about 70%. Hbd is so predictable already and this would make that aspect worse, not to mention make tanking even more of an issue.
11/2/2023 12:55 AM (edited)
I get it Brian. But I think there are other ways to put in the randomness factor. Seeing prospects and making their projections fuzzy is an entirely different matter. Have no problem with a guy being a busy. But you should at least be able to scout them.
10/22/2023 5:58 PM
I've not played it, but I hear the college basketball game scouts by regions. I think that'd be interesting and a little more life like ; while also giving reason why one club wouldn't see a top 10 player - ex: they focused on east coast scouting and the #1 player was from Cali. Might allow some players to fall in draft as well; which I think would be a positive.
10/22/2023 9:53 PM
Posted by minihouston on 10/22/2023 9:53:00 PM (view original):
I've not played it, but I hear the college basketball game scouts by regions. I think that'd be interesting and a little more life like ; while also giving reason why one club wouldn't see a top 10 player - ex: they focused on east coast scouting and the #1 player was from Cali. Might allow some players to fall in draft as well; which I think would be a positive.
The collage hoops scouting system is really fantastic. I would love to see something similar in HBD.
10/23/2023 3:03 PM
I'd love for HBD to look more like HD when it comes to scouting. I'm sure we'd get the obligatory, "we have to rewrite the whole code" response...
10/25/2023 2:43 PM
Someone that plays WIS needs to win the lottery and buy the site. This is probably one of the big things I'd do if I won a cool 10 mllion.
10/30/2023 3:12 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 10/30/2023 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Someone that plays WIS needs to win the lottery and buy the site. This is probably one of the big things I'd do if I won a cool 10 mllion.
I've dreamed of the things I would do if I ever won a large jackpot lottery. Never thought to buy WIS. That's a good idea.
10/31/2023 1:19 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 10/30/2023 3:12:00 PM (view original):
There's a lot cheaper ways to get throngs of people disgruntled and angry at you and remind you constantly how things would be so much better if only things would simply be implemented their way :P
11/1/2023 12:24 AM
Posted by brianplath on 10/22/2023 12:50:00 PM (view original):
I get your guys’ frustration. I’ve had plenty of budgets go to waste on drafts and ifas that never amounted to anything.

mat the same time, the prospects in hbd almost always come close to their scouted ratings (if maxed). I view it as a way to make up for the fact that prospects bust way more in real life. if you put 20/20 in the draft you see about 90% of the pool, in ifa it seems to be about 70%. Hbd is so predictable already and this would make that aspect worse, not to mention make tanking even more of an issue.
100% agree
11/1/2023 12:30 PM
Could we please fix HS/COL Scouting???? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.