Releasing player with years remaining Topic

Lay-up of a question - if I have a player with multiple years remaining on their contract and I release them, does my franchise continue to pay that contract for all remaining years? Or is a player, once released, only paid for the current season. Essentially how much of someone's contract is guaranteed?
10/31/2023 1:28 PM
DO NOT RELEASE.

If you release a player you will be on the hook for the remainder of their salary regardless of if anyone else signs them or not.

Your best option is to put them through waivers. If someone picks up a waiver claim they pay for the players salary. Else, you can hide them in the minors or keep putting them through waivers.

Another (Dirty) tactic, but it works is after the trade deadline put them through non-revokable waivers. Someone may claim them thinking they are stopping a trade from going through and you will revoke the waivers. Then they are stuck with the player.
10/31/2023 2:16 PM
I assumed as much. Thanks. Basically contracts are guaranteed. How would this work if a player had 2 years left but the last year was team or mutual option?
10/31/2023 4:15 PM
I would assume the worst, releasing the player would lock in that final year option.

Oh by the way as hockey1984 said when you Release a player under contract, his salary does not come off your books at all. Furthermore, he goes to waivers and anyone who claims him - or if he passes through and becomes a free agent - gets him for the minimum $378k, till the contract expires.

10/31/2023 4:39 PM
Posted by sinbinnner on 10/31/2023 4:15:00 PM (view original):
I assumed as much. Thanks. Basically contracts are guaranteed. How would this work if a player had 2 years left but the last year was team or mutual option?
I've done this. It's the same as if you've declined the option... you're only on the hook for the option amount. It's actually a legit strategy if you need funds under next season's cap to sign an impending free agent for next season.
11/1/2023 5:52 PM
Releasing player with years remaining Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.