Some pitchers can't handle closer role? Topic

Ever had a pitcher who should have been a dominate closer but just wasn't? I give you:
Player Profile: Keury Krick - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
Krick's ratings suggest he should be a dominate closer. Recently moved him to closer role. Results: 2 saves, 4 blown saves in his first 6 save opportunities plus a L when coming in with the game tied. 8.31 ERA in those 7 games. Defensively I have 7 out of 8 position players with above average range and/or glove so poor defense is not to blame. My 2 catchers have pitch calling of 88 and 89 so poor pitch calling is not to blame. I have Colorado has home field but 2 blown saves and the L were in opponent's neutral parks.

I know some will say it is just small sample size. However, in my 152+ seasons of this game I have seen some Ps do really well in the closer's role while similar rated Ps in similar situations totally suck at closing. Why is that? Could it be related to makeup rating? Doubtful because Krick has a 91 makeup rating but still sucks at closing. Any other ideas/reasons why? I can't come up with any except this: I think there may be a hidden "rating" in the computer code for Ps that dictate whether or not a P will do well in the closer's role or will be a disaster when used as a closer. I know that sounds crazy but if that is not it, give me another good reason as to what is going on here.
11/1/2023 11:13 PM
Closer is a waste on him. He should be pitching as many innings as his DUR/STA will allow as either an opener or LRA.

Sometimes great players have down years. Doc is better than your guy and had a 6.14 ERA in one of his seasons. It really is just a sample size issue.

11/2/2023 12:42 AM
Yeah, make him your ace starter and try to make more of his games on the road since that low ground ball number is terrible for Coors.
11/3/2023 1:58 AM
He is a great starter. Id use him all day long.
11/3/2023 3:26 PM
A guy who can throw 150 innings shouldn't be closing.

11/3/2023 7:09 PM
Who has a closer anymore?
11/3/2023 9:52 PM
If you set your closer to be available in the 8th inning and allow him to pitch when the score is tied, you can get a lot of innings out of a P like Krick. I had been using him as a LRA before trying him as a closer with the settings I just described. The results though were that in the closer role Krick's ERA was about double what it was in the LRA role.

I have several good SPs but the bullpen is weak, thus my using Krick in the pen. Since it seems Krick can't handle being a closer, I'm going to move him to SuA with 35-40 pitch limits and see how he does there for awhile. With no closer he should finish a few games and probably pick up a few saves.
11/3/2023 11:57 PM (edited)
I experience massive variance with my relief pitchers due to the low number of innings thrown. If they happen to give up a few HR it could be the difference between a 3 ERA and 6.57.
11/4/2023 12:40 PM
Anybody good used as a closer is a waste. Maximize their innings by making then a SetUp A.
11/6/2023 6:30 PM
dyoungquist,

I don't have the experience you do, but I've noticed the same thing. Some relief pitchers are really good except for when I put them in the closer role. I don't think it's a sample size thing either.
11/7/2023 7:11 AM
While Krick’s control and splits are elite, he’s got way too many pitches for a closer, and none of them are elite. I generally don’t have success with closers who have more than 2 pitches that are 80 and above.
11/7/2023 2:45 PM
Less than 80 and above
11/7/2023 2:45 PM
Some pitchers can't handle closer role? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.