The New Open League Concept and one man's opinion. Topic

Hello

I had always loved the Open Leagues. Especially back in the day when they filled in under 24 hours.

Yes sadly, yesterday is gone.

But on to the future. Yes the future is clouded by the dark forces in this world, but HOPE is ever present and a powerful belief.

Anyway...

I've been thinking about this for a while now. So what I have come up with, will follow.

All comments and opinions welcome, so please have at it.

24 teams, 6 divisions, 2 Wild Card. The WIS original way.

The CAP I have raised to 90 Million. Also there are AAA. (Which is an original WIS concept that most loved then.)

I have 6 hitters and 4 pitchers. Average Ability. They should be worth about 20 Million so we are looking at 110 Million as compared to the old 100 Million including AAA.

The increase is for two reasons. The first is to compensate some for the botched dynamic pricing inflation of salaries. The second is there will be a DH. You may like it, you may hate it. But the reality is it's here to stay. So those old timers like me need to just move on and accept it. Baseball in the 20 20s.

NO trades. No need for them since you choose the entire roster. Also the need of a veto and the very idea of a minority of ones opponents controlling your roster is not needed, and that headache is gone. Enough said.

Waiver Wire is there for those, like me, that love to churn things a bit.

Yes I have created the Theme. but I thought a discussion could be interesting here.

11/13/2023 9:08 AM
I like the DH and the AAA, personally I’d prefer the cap still at 80 mil. If we’re getting six position players AND four pitchers you can still put together a really good team with 80 mil.
11/14/2023 4:37 AM
I am going to speculate that raising the quality of the AAA is going to raise the variability of them, which isn't necessarily good.

In general I think this sounds fine. I like the DH idea. Definitely agree with the no trades idea.

I would like to somehow see more consistency created in AAA guys. Use their real names. Make them the same 10 guys in every league. Narrow the range of AVG/OBP/SLG/ERC that they are pulled from - create a pool of 300 guys or whatever that are basically equal and pull from there.
11/15/2023 10:42 AM
Posted by jfranco77 on 11/15/2023 10:43:00 AM (view original):
I am going to speculate that raising the quality of the AAA is going to raise the variability of them, which isn't necessarily good.

In general I think this sounds fine. I like the DH idea. Definitely agree with the no trades idea.

I would like to somehow see more consistency created in AAA guys. Use their real names. Make them the same 10 guys in every league. Narrow the range of AVG/OBP/SLG/ERC that they are pulled from - create a pool of 300 guys or whatever that are basically equal and pull from there.
Thanks, yes it seems I left something out. The 6/4 Average AAA are in the manual draft form (you pick) which also eliminates the luck factor and the fake players. Also when they are manually drafted they are normalized to their actual season thus are the actual players and not goofy. Also, if you want a lower TOC cap, each manually drafted player can be cut on the waiver wire for 200k each. That eliminates the trade's some people hate of an AAA guy for a real scrub for the WW money.

So between the 90 Mil roster and the 20 Mil minors, it's a 110M CAP compared to the old Open league 100M TOC cap. The additional 10 million covers the flawed raised salaries for the pre-2016 and cost of a DH. Even still think the quality of the old opens leagues are still better than this idea, but it will be closer.

(edited for lack of proof reading)
11/16/2023 1:35 PM (edited)
If (BIG IF) they were to do this, the could make the current Open league a "Beginner Leagues."
11/16/2023 1:29 PM
So...no AAA players nowadays?!
11/16/2023 2:35 PM
Not in Open leagues. Themes and Champs (which are dead) only.
11/17/2023 10:30 AM
Nope. Don't like that...
11/17/2023 10:47 AM
Posted by okoutlawII on 11/17/2023 10:47:00 AM (view original):
Nope. Don't like that...
If it is AAA in Open leagues now gone. I agree. If it is my idea you don't like, that's cool. But I obviously disagree.

I haven't played an Open league since the change.
11/18/2023 2:56 PM
Grizzy quote: The 6/4 Average AAA are in the manual draft form (you pick) which also eliminates the luck factor and the fake players. Also when they are manually drafted they are normalized to their actual season thus are the actual players and not goofy.

There are a few things we don't agree on, but totally agree with this. Randomly generated AAA just brings too much luck into it. Manually drafted is the way to go IMO.
11/18/2023 8:18 PM (edited)
I like what you've postured here. Could go either way with the DH, but would join the theme if put out there as a trial. Random assignment off AAA is always a problem with the pitching; the definition of "average" for the staff is one of which I've always disagreed.
11/21/2023 5:34 PM
The Theme is out there. I just haven't pushed on it yet.
11/24/2023 3:24 PM
The New Open League Concept and one man's opinion. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.