Ben, thank you for taking the time to engage with other users so openly and honestly. At the core, we love this game. So we could talk about things we love for hours. You have such a great speaking presence, meaning you have a highly effective communication skills. I don't think you get enough credit for adding value to the sim basketball product.

Thanks again and hope you and your family stay happy and safe.
12/10/2023 11:54 PM
Division Draft
benhoidal jcred5 reeldeal01 dBKC
jethroeg jethroeg jethroeg jethroeg
dakjd901 samuelyork93 dakjd901 rjk2781
rjk2781 PBandJ PBandJ PBandJ
samuelyork93 uptowngbv cem6989 cem6989
NotoriousJ rjk2781 rjk2781 dakjd901
uptowngbv NotoriousJ Notoriousj samuelyork93
PBandJ jhsukow uptowngbv berkelon
24kpyrite 24kpyrite berkelon uptowngbv
berkelon cem6989 jhsukow copernicus
cem6989 berkelon copernicus Notoriousj
copernicus copernicus samuelyok93 riftonapple
Midge Midge dh555 seapilots
seapilots seapilots Midge dh555
jhsukow jackedjamie 24kpyrite jhsukow
dh555 dh555 seapilots 24kpyrite
jackedjamie dakjd901 jackedjamie Midge
ty84moss riftonapple raggedclaws ty84moss
chewy3344 ty84moss ty84moss raggedclaws
riftonapple chewy3344 chewy3344 jackedjamie
raggedclaws raggedclaws riftonapple chewy3344

Atlantic Midwest Pacific Central
benhoidal jcred5 reeldeal01 dBKC
jethroeg samuelyork93 dakjd901 rjk2781
NotoriousJ PBandJ cem6989 berkelon
uptowngbv jhsukow copernicus riftonapple
24kpyrite Midge dh555 seapilots
jackedjamie ty84moss raggedclaws chewy3344
12/11/2023 12:37 PM
https://youtu.be/-S22sNlnVt8

Notes:

- It's over 2 hours long. No edits, raw footage. Sorry!
- It's single frame only, so you guys are going to get awfully tired of my face.
- I didn't start recording right away so you're going to miss the best part of the night: 24k having a stock video filter of a Christmas tree and fireplace background and Midge thinking it was real. Midge kept complimenting 24 on his Christmas decor and 24 somehow kept the bit going. It was wonderful.
- I would love to answer any follow up questions you guys have so please comment here and I will answer the best that I can.

Thanks to all those who submitted questions and to those who showed up!
12/11/2023 4:20 PM
Jcred has a much higher opinion of my team than everybody else lol
12/11/2023 6:51 PM
Ben,

Thank you for the work on the video, I am sorry I was unable to attend. My wife and I always have something of a standing appointment on Sunday to talk about the week that was and what is upcoming this week just so we can be on the same page and then just have a little together time.

I have this question and observation:

1. Judging by the voting most people are very down on my team (which I am used to), what is the glaring issue with my team? I felt that I drafted better this time and I didn't shoot myself in the foot with a stupid pick. I am wondering if this was a referendum on my ownership prowess (or lack thereof) or just that my team sucked that bad.

2. What you said about the changes in the sim was especially prescient for me. I would never say I was a top player in the past but I was usually a middle-of-the-road player. I have had a tough time navigating the changes in the sim and I still find myself in some older mindsets. In this draft, I focused on solid defensive players who were not going to turn the ball over a ton. This is something I never did before. I used to roll out high efg% squads with rebounding and ignore to% and fouls. I felt that your comment about how you had to get used to how the sim operates now versus how it used to operate was just for me. I need to do a better job of navigating the tendencies of the sim over how I used to play the sim and what my general hoops knowledge tells me.

Thanks again, it was super informative and fun for a stats and hoops nerd like me.

(OH...and I drafted Gobert early because I never used him and I didn't want to play with other players that I have already used)
12/12/2023 10:57 AM
Posted by PBandJ on 12/12/2023 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Ben,

Thank you for the work on the video, I am sorry I was unable to attend. My wife and I always have something of a standing appointment on Sunday to talk about the week that was and what is upcoming this week just so we can be on the same page and then just have a little together time.

I have this question and observation:

1. Judging by the voting most people are very down on my team (which I am used to), what is the glaring issue with my team? I felt that I drafted better this time and I didn't shoot myself in the foot with a stupid pick. I am wondering if this was a referendum on my ownership prowess (or lack thereof) or just that my team sucked that bad.

2. What you said about the changes in the sim was especially prescient for me. I would never say I was a top player in the past but I was usually a middle-of-the-road player. I have had a tough time navigating the changes in the sim and I still find myself in some older mindsets. In this draft, I focused on solid defensive players who were not going to turn the ball over a ton. This is something I never did before. I used to roll out high efg% squads with rebounding and ignore to% and fouls. I felt that your comment about how you had to get used to how the sim operates now versus how it used to operate was just for me. I need to do a better job of navigating the tendencies of the sim over how I used to play the sim and what my general hoops knowledge tells me.

Thanks again, it was super informative and fun for a stats and hoops nerd like me.

(OH...and I drafted Gobert early because I never used him and I didn't want to play with other players that I have already used)
1. They way I do division drafts is that I put people in tiers based on their ODL history and then I move people around in their tier based on a number of things. Right now, you have an ODL win average of 36.2 which puts you in the second worst tier. I actually remember liking your team when I was looking at it and even moved you to the top of your tier for my draft. I think you have a good chance to exceed your average this season (Although I haven't actually had a chance to look at your team you submitted yet).

2. I was definitely in the same boat 5-7 years ago where I would try to spam efg and rebounding, get enough defense and assists and call it a day without looking at the other stuff. Other users have just gotten way too good and to be competitive you have to look at everything now. Having to adapt because of greater competition is fun for me, but it certainly makes things more difficult!

Thanks for the response!
12/12/2023 1:18 PM
Thanks again, Ben. Great content! Have you ever considered having the ODL be a 12 round draft? If not, why not?

edit to add: I mean, I understand the tradition and why you don't want to mess with something that isn't broken, but I've always wondered why we don't draft whole teams...
12/12/2023 3:20 PM (edited)
I would love to do a simple 12 round draft with no salary cap if there is enough interest.
12/12/2023 3:58 PM
I would love a 12 round draft with a salary cap, too. I'm just trying to understand why we only draft 7 players, as opposed to 12. Maybe the belief that the users wouldn't be able to do it well, so too many teams would stink it up or draft over the cap number?
12/12/2023 5:02 PM
Posted by berkelon on 12/12/2023 3:20:00 PM (view original):
Thanks again, Ben. Great content! Have you ever considered having the ODL be a 12 round draft? If not, why not?

edit to add: I mean, I understand the tradition and why you don't want to mess with something that isn't broken, but I've always wondered why we don't draft whole teams...
I think I joined the ODL for the first time sometime in the 50s and became commissioner sometime in the 70s, so things were already pretty set by the time I had any control.

I like the league as is right now. I think once you get past 7, there really isn’t a need to keep drafting. On the chat we debated whether rounds 6 and 7 were even necessary. I think past 7 just makes the draft go way longer and at the end players like Bill Garner or John Duren anyways.

Just my two cents.
12/12/2023 5:21 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 12/12/2023 5:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by berkelon on 12/12/2023 3:20:00 PM (view original):

I think I joined the ODL for the first time sometime in the 50s and became commissioner sometime in the 70s, so things were already pretty set by the time I had any control.

I like the league as is right now. I think once you get past 7, there really isn’t a need to keep drafting. On the chat we debated whether rounds 6 and 7 were even necessary. I think past 7 just makes the draft go way longer and at the end players like Bill Garner or John Duren anyways.

Just my two cents.
Agreed
12/12/2023 6:44 PM
Posted by Midge on 12/12/2023 3:58:00 PM (view original):
I would love to do a simple 12 round draft with no salary cap if there is enough interest.
I have interest.
12/12/2023 10:03 PM
Didn't mean to derail the league convo, just got inspired by the youtube! I could draft every day and be happy. That's my favorite part of WIS and it's not even close.
12/12/2023 11:27 PM
Apologies everyone, I'll have my team in tomorrow night. Hopefully I'm not the last in; I'm pretty good at being the third to last.

I still have a little money to spend and don't want to get it wrong. If this team doesn't turn out I may need to take a break from Harden for a while.
12/13/2023 10:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.