16x16 v33 Draft Thread & Writeups Topic

1935 Spud Davis
1/21/2024 10:55 AM
What is an A fielder? Not one of my guys is coming into spring training with a glove that works.
No gloves, not much pitching. Sure need a whole bunch of hits this season.
1/21/2024 11:12 AM
My Draft Strategy
(Unless otherwise noted, all player stats posted are #normalized#)
Blue is usable drafted player
Green is not-usable drafted player
Red is usable teammate

Nomination Process
After getting teammates Greinke, Kershaw, Pedro and Lowe in the last version, I decided to pick last this time. This would give others first dibs at the best players, but also give me the opportunity to see what position was needed in the draft. My default setting was to go with 8 hitters and 8 pitchers. But I would have considered a 9th hitter had there been a position that needed a hitter. Once the player pool was mostly set, and it was determined that only $30-$40 million would be spend on teammates, I could see that one teammate would be used at catcher, and that many teammates would be used on RPs. If you were fortunate enough, you might be able to fit in a starting position player and maybe a starting pitcher. I was going to take a SP that I would get to use the best season, but others would be able to use (lesser seasons).

My first choice with Robin Roberts. He's got some $10M seasons which are decent enough season (low whip), but he gives up HRs, which would've been fun with Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Jimmie Foxx and Ted Wiilliams (Foxx & Williams later replaced). He also didn't play with a lot of great teammates (The Phillies averaged only 73 wins during his time there). I was going to take his good '65 partial Astros season to be a key RP for me. But I preferred a lefty with all the left-handed hitters in the league. Had I looked closely, I might have grabbed '43 Howie Pollet. I was also considering Lefty Grove and Warren Spahn. calhoop later switched to Grove, so I switched to '53 Warren Spahn. Excluding Eddie Mathews (who is already part of the draft pool), Spahn doesn't have a ton of great teammates.

Pick 1.04
The first three picks were '30 Ruth, '30 Grove and '31 Ruth. Despite the risk of being at the end of the Babe Ruth run and getting stuck with a $25M+ salary, I had my eye set on '36 Carl Hubbell (2.19, .228, 1.02, 0.24) from the very beginning, who I have pegged as the best available nominated SP season. At the time of this pick, I wasn't expecting to use any teammates, but after my round 2 pick, I slotted in '36 Mel Ott (.319, .444, .586) to play one of the outfield slots. I understand this pick will drop me significantly in the draft order. But I now have two of the league's best SPs with Spahn and Hubbell. Little did I knw at the time that these would be my only two *good* SPs

Pick 2.12
Eight different Babe Ruth seasons got selected since my last pick, meaning there are only 5 seasons left, including his three expensive seasons, a $3.5M season and his Braves <500K season. I decided it made too much sense to grab '35 Babe Ruth and use '36 Mel Ott in the outfield. The big benefit of this pick was I moved back up in the draft order.

Pick 3.08
The best nominated SP left was Bob Feller's 1946 season ($12M). In retrospect, I probably should have taken him - then I would have been set at SP. But I also was keeping an eye on the Hornsby situation as I didn't want to get stuck with his $19M season (four Hornsbys taken so far). There are a bunch of bad, expensive Feller seasons, so I was taking Feller this round. But he also has a relatively cheap 81-inning season with a 2.45 ERC#. There are certainly usable seasons left of Grove, Pollet, Lyons, so I decided I could wait at SP, and I selected '45 Bob Feller (2.45, .196, 1.19, 0.17). This pick moves me up to pick #5, so I can get a Hornsby of my choosing.

Pick 4.05
Two more Hornsbys went. I really thought the Hornsby run would have been further along by now, but I know it's coming soon. I could either go cheap and use a teammate on a 2B or pick one of his good hitting seasons. I am partial to '21 Rogers Hornsby (.381, 453, .631) due to his position flexibility. His '29 season probably made more sense, because it's a better hitting season and costs $1.5 less. nocomm999 wisely grabbed this season one picks after me. Five more Hornsbys got selected between my rounds 4 and 5 picks (leaving only one cheap season and his $19M season). The fact is that I could've taken '46 Feller and still taken a cheap Hornsby. I'm not even worried about teammates at this point.

Pick 5.12
This round was a roster-defining moment for me. The pick I ended up making here pretty much dictated how the rest of my draft was going to go. The smart people here know that there are a bunch of similar Eddie Mathews good usable seasons available, so Mathews should be postponed until later in the draft. It's smarter to grab a player where there is a big difference. I should have started figuring out the rest of my pitching situation - either grab a decent SP that I can use or find a cheap version of one of the crappy pitchers left. I never said I was smart. Instead, as I was looking at possible teammates to play 2B (assuming I moved Hornsby to 3B), I saw Frankie Frisch's A+++ was a teammate of '27 Jim Bottomley who was also an A++ at 1B. So my love of Frisch superceded my logical thought and to make this work, I have to go cheap at 3B. '68 Eddie Mathews is only 203K and it moves me from pick 12 back up to pick 5. Oh, forgot to mention that Mathews comes with a couple of interesting teammates. I wasn't able to afford Denny McClain, but I am rostering RP '68 Don McMahon (2.18, .202, 1.10, 0.43). Oh, and I should have one of the league's top pinch hitters, with '68 Gates Brown (.390, .460, .704).

Pick 6.05
I wish a had a crystal ball when I made this pick. There were two really good Bottomelys that I would've been fine with. Obviously, '27 Jim Bottomely (.293, .382, .507) allows me to add '27 Frankie Frisch (.326, ..382, .470). But I could have easily taken the better-hitting '25 Bottomley and filled 2B with somebody else (i.e., Eddie Collins via Lyons). I really didn't want any of the other Bottomleys, so I picked this version probably too early. njbgiwig somehow stole '25 Bottomley 43 picks later at the end of round 8. Well, I sure am hoping the better defense makes a difference, given who I ended up with as my SP3 and SP4.. Wasn't planning this, but it turns out I also added catcher Johnny Schulte (.278, .450, .536) to platoon with Spud Davis. Another last minute addition to the roster was RP, Fred Frankhouse (2.41, .208, 1.13, 0.46). Maybe '27 Bottomley wasn't such a bad pick after all.

Pick 7.07
I had been eying Mickey Mantle for the past few rounds. I was just waiting for the right time to pull the trigger. There just wasn't a pitcher I felt was a must-draft at this point, so I had my choice - it was between '59 Mickey Mantle (.290, .394, 513) and the more expensive '61 Mantle. When I calculated that I was going to get stuck with a lot of expensive versions of Grove, Lyons, Pollet, I had to bite the bullet and go with the cheaper version. He came with a couple of nice teammates. I ended up not using SP Art Ditmar, but I am using RP, '59 Bobby Shantz (1.83, .194, 1.04, 0.32). It was nice to find out others were looking to grab '59 and/or '61 Mantle around this point in the draft as well.

Pick 8.11
All the pitchers left kind of suck so there's really no point messing with the pitchers now. I might as well get the best hitters I can. So I am taking the best hitting shortstop, '51 Alvin Dark (.305, .350, 450), He's got A- range also has 723 PA so I don't need to worry about a backup.

Pick 9.11
I find it interesting that lots of folks are taking cheap hitting seasons. I guess there are a bunch of teammate hitters they want instead. I am wasting almost no salary on drafting cheap hitters (just Ruth's 465K and Mathews 203K). Continuing my run on the top nominated hitting seasons available, I grab '26 Kiki Cuyler (.311, .375, .458). He's also A range. ronthegenius selected Cuyler's best hitting season just a few picks before me, although I don't think I could've afforded the extra $2M in salary. At the time of this pick, I considered using catcher Earl Smith (.346 avg) to platoon with Spud Davis. I could also downgrade Mel Ott with '26 Paul Waner, if I needed to save salary.

Pick 10.12
I have been eyeing '50 Howie Pollet for some time now. He's the best Pollet season left and more importantly, he comes with teammate Jim Hearn. I'm just not sure I can afford Hearn. My indecision on this has hurt as I keep seeing cheap versions of Pollet go off the board. And while there is still a decent $7M Lefty Grove left, I really want '50 Hearn and certainly can't afford both. Anyway, I decide to wait and see how things shake out. Time to grab the best catching season left, '32 Spud Davis (.328, .399, .515). With this pick I could upgrade Mel Ott to '32 Chuck Klein if I could afford it. At the last minute, I add RP, '32 Ad Liska (2.61, .232, 1.20, 0.00)

Pick 11.12
I decide that I could roster '59 Art Ditmar (instead of Hearn) if I get really cheap versions of two of Pollet, Grove and/or Lyons. Sadly, this round, in front of me, nocomm999 takes the cheapest Pollet while ronthegenius takes the cheapest Grove left. Well crap. Now what am I going to do? Only happyhours and myself need Left Grove. There are two $7M+ seasons and a garbage $3.7M season left for Grove. I determine that there isn't much difference between Grove's $7M seasons and the Lyons and Pollet seasons I am likely to get stuck with, so I save salary and take '25 Lefty Grove. I consider adding stud teammate Al Simmons, but the $2.5M increase in salary over Ott would cost me two RPs.

Pick 12.12 - '70 Ted Abernathy
Pick 13.10 - '50 Howie Pollet (3.28, .256, 1.25, 0.62)
Pick 14.10 - '35 Earl Whitehill
Pick 15.12 - '25 Ted Lyons (3.25, .263, 1.28, 0.29)
You see why I should have take '46 Feller? I now have to use Pollet and Lyons as my SP3 and SP4. And after many different roster configurations, I determined that I could not afford '50 Jim Hearn w/o gutting my bench/RP depth. With these picks, I was able to add one more teammate, '35 Bobby Estalella (.314, .485, .471, A+ range at 3B).

Final Thoughts
With the exception of Hornsby at 3B (C/C-) and Ott (B+/D+) in the outfield, I have a very good defensive-range team. Bottomley (A++), Frisch (A++), Dark (A-), Mantle (A), Cuyler (A). Davis & Schulte both have B throwing arms, although I doubt there are a lot of SBs in this league. I have some really strong pinch hitters: Schulte, G.Brown, Estalella. So despite being the only team without a usable Babe Ruth, I feel that my offense will be above average.

My top two startng pitchers (600 ips, 2.21 era, .227 oav, 1.06 whip, 0.33 hr/9) should be in the Cy Young discussion and I have five decent RPs (345 ips, 2.30 era, .198, oav 1.09 whip, 0.30 hr/9). So it comes down to how bad Lyons & Pollet (523 ips, 3.27 era, .267 oav, 1.32 whip, 0.47 hr/9) end up being. Grove, Whitehill & Abernathy won't be used.

Overall, my usable salary is $108 million and that covers 5862 PA and 1468 IP.

Usable Hitting Stats: .326 avg, .404 obp, .521 slg
Usable Pitching Stats: 2.61 era, .235 oav, 1.16 whip, 0.38 hr/9
1/21/2024 12:42 PM (edited)
I will have league number later today.
1/21/2024 12:37 PM
I will enter first thing in the morning, great draft as always schwarze!!!!!!!!!
1/21/2024 2:53 PM
As always, trying to figure out the unique puzzle that each 16x16 draft is takes time. Going to try to type this up as I go. (Editor's note: I did this mostly in real-time, though some picks I was a round or two behind. I also added in post-draft notes in italics.)

This version appears to be almost the exact opposite of last round. On the pitching side, the 8 nominated players should easily provide the bulk of the innings. In fact, it'll be more of an issue trying to avoid excess innings. On the hitting side, there are three monster hitters in Ruth, Hornsby, and Mantle. With their big salaries--some of which are VERY inflated--plus the big-inning pitchers, the cap will come much more into play.

As for teammates, the big question is can you even use all 9 and if so, where? Catcher and SS, for sure, are two. Replacing Bottomley (1B) and Cuyler (OF) is likely two more. Mathews has a few usable seasons but a few others that aren't great. Even a handful of the Ruth/Mantle/Hornsby triumverate will need to be replaced. On average, I'm predicting about 4-5 teammates on offense per owner. What to do with the rest? A few options:
(1) Upgrade more offensive positions. This would likely require getting some of the cheaper versions of nominated hitters or else salary cap becomes an issue.
(2) Grab part-time hitters. There is a Gates Brown and a couple Bob Hazles out there that would be nice bench options, though not as much impact as a starter would be for using up a teammate.
(3) Grab some relievers. It likely won't make sense to grab a teammate starter and while there aren't a ton of relievers in this era, there are a few that certainly could help.

That doesn't seem to be the best use of teammates, but you can only play the hand your dealt. Grabbing low-salary and short PA/IP nominated players seems important to minimize waste. On the flip side, you don't want to find yourself going too far and not being able to use all of the cap.

Post-draft: Yup, I only got one full-time teammate (SS Lou Boudreau). I used three other teammates as partial/platoon players, one at catcher and two in the OF. I used two more on relievers. My final 3 teammate spots were mostly scrubs to fit under the cap.

========

Nominated player: 1967 Ted Abernathy
I was looking at some starters but when Schwarze posted the classified, I was about 60 seconds late and guys like Camilo Pascual and Carl Hubbell were already taken. Abernathy has a great relief season, which I figured would be in short supply. I would pick later in the 1st round, but would likely pick high in the 2nd round, giving me two picks close together and a head start on rounds 3+. I guess someone switched off of Pascual, so I could have switched to him, but I didn't even bother to check.

Post-draft: Happier with this pick than I thought I'd be, though not sure it's the best pick. Getting a really good 107-inning reliever is nice though, but I didn't probably "screw" the rest of the owners enough with his other seasons.

===

Pick 1.13: 1946 Ted Lyons
Still not sure how all the salary cap and innings will play out, but there are a LOT of starters in the nominated pool, some with huge innings. I was looking for options where I could both save on innings and salary while also picking up a decent reliever. The main options that popped up were 1941 Howie Pollet (75 IP, 2.39 ERC#), 1945 Bob Feller (81 IP, 2.45 ERC#), and 1946 Ted Lyons (45 IP, 2.49 ERC#). In fact, there are only 5 nominated pitchers that have IP < 100 and ERC# < 3.00--those 3 plus the nominated 1923 Earl Whitehill and another Ted Abernathy (1972) that ronthegenius took earlier in round 1.

I settled on Lyons for a few reasons. For one, it was his only short inning season and he only had one other even close (107 innings). Feller has 4 seasons under 100 innings and Pollet has a few as well plus a bunch more in the mid-100s. For two, Lyons only had one really good starter season left, while Feller had 3-4, so I was pretty likely to end up with a mediocre starter season if I waited on Lyons. Finally, his relief season was cheaper than the other two and had a more palatable 1.79 BB# (though a tad higher HR#, but still under 0.5). This pick also ensured I'd pick pretty high in Round 2.

Post-draft: I think this was a fine pick. In hindsight, maybe I go for a better starting pitcher season, or a cheaper Ruth? But both shedding innings and salary plus picking up a solid reliever is helpful in this version. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I got to use his teammate RP Earl Caldwell, with 96 innings and a 1.70 ERC#.

===

Pick 2.2: 1925 Rogers Hornsby
I got to spend more time looking at the lay of the land. I already have 2 pitchers and of the remaining 6, I expect to wait until near the end on 3 of them--Whitehill, Grove, and Spahn. The other three have reasons to go a bit earlier, but none are going to be pressing for awhile with plenty of reasonable options.

So I focused back on the hitting. I don't want to play Alvin Dark or Spud Davis, but I also don't need to burn a pick just yet on a cheap version of them. Dark has a few high-salary versions to avoid but with 22 total versions, 6 of those are out of the picture (Editor's note: This was a spreadsheet error I caught later, as I was double-counting partial/combined seasons...oops! Luckily did not come back to bite me). The current worst case with him is a $4.1m year--I don't want that, but it's much better than the $7.2m version, for example. I'll still want to get a cheaper version here, but think I can wait a bit. Davis should be even less of a worry. He also has 15 picks left but many more small salary seasons. Plus, depending on which catcher teammate I go with, I'll likely need some Davis at-bats to fill-in. I don't want to under- or over-committ at this point.

Next to eliminate are the medium-level talents--Bottomley, Mathews, and Cuyler. All have some playable seasons--Mathews had about 8, while Cuyler and Bottomley have more like 3-5. It would be nice to either get one of those good seasons or, if not, one of their cheapest seasons. I thought about taking a few different cheap seasons. Mathews has two under $1m. Bottomley has a 441 PA season that could be a nice platoon partner as does Cuyler with a 348 PA season. Each of them have some cheaper seasons under $2m as well. But I didn't feel those were as important as solving the high-salary issue of the other three.

That left me with Ruth, Hornsby, and Mantle. Once PrimetimeTW took Mantle's 215 PA season, there were only 400+ PA seasons left for him. Mantle only has one big inflation season, but with 18 total versions, that one can be avoided if needed. he also has a pretty deep group of seasons, so I felt I could wait on him. The Ruths had been going fast, 9 already gone. Ruth also has only 16 seasons so they all need to get drafted and he has 4 seasons with pretty big inflation, all of which are left. Two of them are massive, with salaries in the $25m+ range. Two others are in the $15-19m range, but still with some wasted salary. The final 3 available versions are much cheaper--two are platoon-worthy seasons with 521 and 449 PA. The final season is a 98 PA season that costs less than $500k. I thought long and hard about going with one of the $15-19m seasons--elite players but without SO much wasted salary. Fitting one of the top two salaries would be hard, but at this point if I know I'll get stuck there I have plenty of time to plan.

Hornsby, meanwhile, had something left that Ruth did not--an elite season without much inflation. His two best years are $16m and $20m but with wasted salary. But his 3rd-best season is right there with those two, but costs just $12.3m. It's a step above the next tier of 6 seasons he has (though those are very very good too!). Unlike Ruth, there will actually be at least 5-6 teams that don't start a Hornsby and I didn't want to be one of those. The best available teammate 2B are guys like Lazzeri, Frisch, and Gehringer--solid players to be sure, but far below the best Hornsbys. We'll see if this comes back to bite me on Ruth.

Post-draft: Happy with Hornsby and probably couldn't get both this version of Hornsby and a reasonable Ruth. Maybe the correct play was to go with a less-expensive but still good Ruth here and then get a slightly lesser version of Hornsby next round.

===

Pick 3.6: 1941 Howie Pollet
Welp, most of the Ruths went. There are 3 left, with the two huge salaries and the third still coming in at $19m. I thought about taking the cheapest version (1920) but I figure I can also just plan for having to eat the $26.7m version and get a super-stud Ruth. That shifted me back to looking at cheaper options. I thought I was going to land on a cheap Alvin Dark, but there are a few versions there and none of them are actually helpful on the field. They also don't really bring in a good teammate, though 1956 Dark does bring a decent Mays, but he's not the cheapest version so don't want to go there yet.

I ended up circling back to Pollet. There's not risk of getting stuck with a huge salary with him--his biggest salary is just $7.2m but you can actually avoid 4 of his seasons since he has 20 total, so the more realistic downside is about $4.5m. However, now that I'm likely stuck with a huge Ruth salary, those few million could matter. Pollet has one good relief season, with 75 innings at 2.39 ERC# and costs just $2.4m. It also reduced my innings--I'm now on track to get about 1400 from the nominated players, though I'll likely go a little above that since I'm guessing others will draft the lower-inning guys earlier, on average. So I get to save money, reduce innings, and get another good reliever of which there are few. As a small benefit, Johnny Mize is a reasonable 1B teammate. He's not great, but with just 580 PA, he comes with a reasonable $6.0m price tag, which may be all I can afford. As a lefty with good defense (B+/A) and an OBP# over .400, it's a decent option to have.

Post-draft: I think I made the right choice waiting on Ruth versus grabbing the 1920 version here. I did take on a few million in salary but I got to wait until my final pick on Ruth allowing me to get many of the other players I liked/needed. For the most part, I was on the early side of runs and didn't have too many disappointments with missing out on guys I wanted/needed. Mize was a pipe dream, in hindsight, but always good to have options. I did get to use one Pollet teammate, however...Eddie Lake as a pure bench player.

===

Pick 4.4: 1939 Carl Hubbell
With the best Hubbell starting seasons and his one cheap season gone, I was staring at a bunch of big-inning seasons with ERC# in the 3s. I already know I'm likely getting big innings from Feller, Grove, and Spahn, plus gonna have to eat innings with Whitehill. Hubbell was the one guy of that group that had a good quality season with lower innings. His HR# is a bit high and I know I'll have a big-HR Ruth, but I get a $4.7m Hubbell instead of a $7-8m one that likely would have worse quality innings and wasted innings. I also was eyeing the best Feller left, the 391 inning, $13m season, but I couldn't pick that until I locked in some lower-inning guys.

Post-draft: Besides the HR issue, I think this was a good pick. Of the 8 pitcher nominations, I'll end up with 2 good starters and 3 releivers. The other 3 are all swingmen of varying degrees--getting this Hubbell gives me a "good" version, with Whitehill mediocre, and Grove a pure mop-up.

===

Pick 5.3: 1947 Bob Feller
1946 Feller went as did a couple of the cheaper versions. The best season left for him is 1947 and there's a pretty big dropoff, so I decide to finally lock in my first real starter. As an added bonus, I will be more than happy if his teammate, Lou Boudreau, is my starting SS ($6.9m, .385 OBP#, A/A defense).

Still have more work to do to shed salary. I can wait on Ruth until the end and take whichever $25m+ behemoth is left. I am unlikely to save much money on my 3 remaining pitchers--will likely get Spahn, Grove, and Whitehill for around $20m combined. Mantle and probably Mathews will start for me. So that leaves Dark, Davis, Cuyler, and Bottomley as the places to save on. Cuyler and Bottomley both have some partial seasons that could platoon at 1B or OF, as well as some lower PA seasons that can simply save money. Davis will just be the backup catcher. Dark is likely the spot I need to save the most, especially now that I have a full-season teammate option in Boudreau.

Post-draft: I was able to use SS Lou Boudreau as my lone full-season teammate, in the end. He is a very solid SS with A/A fielding and solid hitting but doesn't break the bank at $6.95m. I'm starting around here to realize the salary crunch will be a little more difficult than I first though, but mostly I'm correct on my outlook at this point.

===

Pick 6.3: 1927 Kiki Cuyler
As I start planning more in-depth, fitting everything together and still affording some free agents will be tough. Will probably have to spend multiple teammate spots on pinch-hitters, relievers, and maybe even pure salary-savers. I'm starting to like a Cuyler/Bottomley platoon, with Ruth likely shifting between 1B (when Cuyler starts) and OF (when Bottomley starts). Maybe even a Cuyler/Mantle/Bottomley 3-for-2 platoon. With that in mind, 1927 Cuyler is the best option with his 348 PA and B/A fielding in the OF. He can man CF against lefties and be a defensive replacement when he comes off the bench. It also puts in play someone like 1966 Mantle who has 401 PA and a good hitting season but is not really a centerfielder (A+/D+). Those two plus, say, 1930 or 31 Bottomley gets me around 1300 PA, good enough to cover 2 starting spots.

In addition, Cuyler brings in two potential teammates. Paul Waner has a great 1B/OF season. However, given the presence of Ruth and Waner's bigger salary ($9.7m), I probably won't be able to afford him and don't need his positional versatility. The other is Johnny Miljus, an 80-inning reliever with sub-2.00 ERC# and 0.00 HR#. He is more likely someone I can fit in.

Post-draft: Yes, correct on the teammate spots. I'm happy with this Cuyler pick as he gave me lots of flexibility the rest of the draft, especially with regards to Mantle and CF in general. He's a very solid platoon-mate and he'll likely play against some righties as well, given he's over 300 PA. I certainly didn't get Waner, but I did fit in RP Johnny Miljus, who will help form a great back end to my bullpen.

===

Pick 7.2: 1960 Alvin Dark (Braves partial)
The first cheap Alvin Dark goes so it's time to make sure I get one I can live with as I'm planning to use Boudreau or another teammate at SS. The Boudreau I already have as an option has 656 PA so doesn't need a backup. I don't have my Eddie Mathews yet but some of his possible seasons could use a little help. The 2nd-cheapest Alvin Dark season is 160 PA but has a reasonable .721 OPS# (for comparison, that's the 7th-best of his versions) and while he doesn't play SS he plays a passable 3B (B-/D) plus has ratings at 1B and OF. Most importantly, he costs less than a million dollars.

Post-draft: One of the picks I sweated out the most as I really didn't want to have to take on a more expensive version of Dark. His extra versatility to play 1B and OF, plus not be a completely inept at the plate, allowed me to go a little more aggressive elsewhere, such as with Ray Blades and Showboat Fisher. If they are a bit short on PA, I can easily let Dark play a couple games at 1B or the OF. He also let me save some money and get a more potent version of Eddie Mathews, knowing I had some 3B at-bats if needed.

===

Pick 8.2: 1934 Lefty Grove
I have 3 pitchers left to draft and I can wait on two of them. Whitehill is going to give me 200-some-odd innings and a salary between $4.3 and $6.5m. Warren Spahn will be my #2 starter and bring me about 300 innings and an ERC# near 3.00. Lefty Grove can go a couple different ways. There are 6 owners still left for Grove. He has two high-inning starter seasons. He has 4 long relief type seasons with ERC# at 4.00+. He also has one season in between with 178 innings but a solid 3.13 ERC#. One other complicating factor is I still haven't locked in my catcher teammate. Grove has a couple Cochrane versions but both are teammates of Grove versions that I prefer not to roster.

Among the 5 hitters I still need, I know I can wait on Ruth and Davis. Mathews will be my starting 3B and while I'd like to avoid his biggest-salary seasons, I can likely wait another round or two at least on him as he has many possibilities. With Dark's season in tow, I can hopefully get a Matthews with closer to 600 PA than 700 and save on some salary. 1955, 1954, 1962, and even 1964 or 65 are all in play.

I'm still liking my 3-for-2 special with Cuyler, Mantle, and Bottomley. With 348 PA from Cuyler, I need about 800-900 from the other two. Mantle doesn't have anything less than 400 so that means I need to avoid any Bottomley seasons with 500+ PA. He only has 16 seasons and 11 of them are high PA. Of the other 5, 1 of them is a no-go (1935, with an OPS# of just .612 but 448 PA, gross). Two of the other 4 would be fine in a platoon (1931 and 1932, both with 350-450 PA and reasonable OPS#, especially '31). The other two are cheap enough that I could get a full-time Mantle and mostly get by. But I really want one of those 4 seasons (1931, 1932, 1922, 1937). For Mantle, he has two super-expensive seasons left. I can avoid one of them for sure as Mantle has 17 total, but I can't get stuck with the other one. I'd also like to avoid his worst season, with a .786 OPS#, D/D- fielding, but still 407 PA. Of the versions left, that leaves 5 I'd be relatively happy with. His 1960 season is the best and most expensive, with 678 PA and CF-level defense. His 1953 season has fewer PA (580) and a slightly lesser bat, but still B/A defense. Both of those are $6m+. The other 3 are cheaper--between $2.7 and $3.7m. His 1967 season is actually 1B only while 1965 is a poor OF fielder (C-/D), and both are okay OPS# but low for Mantle. The other cheap season has my eye though--1966 where he plays A+/D+ in the OF, has a very nice .947 OPS, and just 401 PA. That would pair nicely with, say, 1931 Bottomley. I also still have the catcher teammate issue and none of my top Mantle/Bottomley/Grove choices solve it.

I decide Bottomley is the one I have the least risk waiting on, so I eliminate him. That puts me at a choice for Mantle vs Grove. For Mantle, both the 1953 and 1966 seasons are in the mix. '53 is a better player, can play center, and brings the potential of Yogi Berra. However, he's over $2m more than '66 and rostering him and a $5.2m catcher could be tough. For Grove, I want to avoid his big-inning seasons. That centers me on 1938 (178 IP, 3.13 ERC#), 1941 (141 IP, 4.13 ERC#, 0.56 HR#), and 1934 (117 IP, 4.93 ERC#).

Ultimately, after doing a bit more planning, I'm still in a salary crunch, so I opt for the cheapest Grove. Hopefully he won't need to pitch important innings.

Post-draft: Grove is probably the player I changed the most on. I initially had him penciled in for a good starter season, then shifted to maybe getting a decent long-relief season, and ultimately ended up drafting his cheapest and worst season. I think this was a very helpful pick and I should have realized it sooner as it was so important. The other pitchers didn't have many ways to save on innings and money and this allowed me to actually get only 1500 innings. A more expensive Grove would have really hurt me elsewhere. That said, I also could have really used a better Bottomley and this was the spot I needed to take him, but I think I was correct that it was less important than locking in Grove.

===

Pick 9.2: 1930 Jim Bottomley
Ugh, brutal run on Jim Bottomley and then '66 Mantle goes. The lowest PA season for Bottomley left is putrid 1935 season. Every other version remaining has 590+ PA. Similarly, Mantle is running out of cheaper but usable seasons. With 18 total seasons, I can at least avoid his two huge salary seasons, but could be left with $7.5m. Gonna have to scrap the 3-for-2 plan and probably start all 3 of Cuyler, Mantle, and Bottomley with a smaller PA teammate filling in the missing PAs.

After sketching out the scenarios a bit, it looks like I can afford the $7.5m Mantle if needed, so I don't necessarily need to go there. I still considered taking either '60 Mantle or the '53 version, both of which could play almost a full season and man centerfield while providing some pop. I'm also okay with 65 Mantle, but I want to avoid both 1967 (1B only and with Bottomley, I don't have a spot there) and 1951 (407 PA that is almost unplayable), in addition to the two huge salaries.

With Bottomley I was worried there were even more landmines to avoid. There were 7 owners left who needed one and 7 versions left. His best season had 720 PA, which I couldn't use all of them, and so his $5.5m salary would be partly wasted. Three other seasons have OBP# below .337. That left just two years with reasonable PA and solid enough production. I chose the 1930 version over 1924 because it was about $500k cheaper and he has two catcher teammates that could pair with Spud Davis (neither Mancuso or Jimmie Wilson are exciting, but the salary cap crunch is real). He also has Ray Blades as a teammate, who might be useful as a pinch-hitter/platoon in the OF (134 PA, 1.067 OPS#).

Post-draft: My Cuyler/Bottomley/Mantle plan fell through here, but this pick ended up being secretly VERY important to me, and I didn't even know it at the time. As a player himself, it's not as bad as I feared at the time. He'll have to be pretty much my full-time 1B but he hits okay, he's left-handed, and he does it all for only $3.6m. The important part, though, is the teammates. I initially had thought his catcher teammates might be useful, but didn't need them. I did use OF Ray Blades as a very good hitter (he'll be my best hitter after Ruth and Gehrig). But the really important part were two guys I didn't even note at the time--OF George Watkins and OF Showboat Fisher. Because of the extra PA of Bottomley and Mantle plus the salary crunch, I didn't need and couldn't afford a full-time OF, but I did need a really good platoon OF. Both Watkins (477 PA) and Fisher (301) were that. Them and Blades were the three best teammate options with between 100 and 500 PA that I ended up having. Even more importantly, I had BOTH of them. I initially planned for Watkins as he had more PA and could at least fake it at 2B if Hornsby's 650 PA needed a rest. But when I got stuck with the more expensive Ruth, I easily pivoted to Fisher who is $1.4m less and didn't miss a beat. He'll essentially form a platoon with Kiki Cuyler.

===

Pick 10.3: 1953 Mickey Mantle
With my Bottomley pick having a near-full season, I prefer not to get a 1B-only Mantle, meaning I'd have to play one out of position. I can't afford his super-expensive seasons either, but his next-two-best seasons both work for me. At the end, I may prefer to have '60 Mantle with the extra 100 or so PA and a bit of extra power, but I decide to play it safer and go cheaper with the '53 version. He still can play center (B/A), has a near .400 OBP#, and as a switch-hitter he can help balance my lineups with Bottomley/Cuyler/etc. need rest. If I end up having a bit extra salary, hopefully that means I can just upgrade one of the teammates I bring in. If I went with the more expensive version, I wouldn't have the opposite option as easily if I got stuck. He also brings a decent Yogi Berra season with him, but I doubt I'll be able to afford him. We'll see.

Post-draft: I was right on Berra, could not afford him. I think going with the cheaper Mantle was the right play at this time. If I had waited, maybe I could have fit in the 1960 version and downgraded Fisher or Blades or someone, but I couldn't risk waiting and this gave me the flexibility I needed and as I mentioned I was able to use the extra salary well.

===

Pick 11.4: 1955 Eddie Mathews
I can almost build my full roster now and it will definitely be tight. I've put off Ruth for a while since both versions left are similarly expensive but at this point the slightly cheaper version saves me over $1m. How long can primetimetw and I stare each other down? One problem is whenever I do go for Ruth, I'll move down in the draft order, hurting my chances to get better versions of the other players I need. That said, primetimetw picks ahead of me, so if I wait until the very end, he'll get to pick his Ruth first. Maybe the 14th Round is the spot.

I should have plenty of Spahn options later, but Whitehill is starting to become more of a focus. The cheapest versions are around $5.1m and there's 3 of them. But with just 17 versions total and the most expensive ones at $6.5m to $7.0m, I could lose over a million dollars against the cap. His 1930 version is the best for me as it's the cheapest but also slightly more effective than the other cheap options. The 233 innings are the fewest, but I don't need more innings.

That leaves just Spud Davis and Mathews. With Davis, I'll have plenty of options to match whatever version of him I get with a reasonable enough teammate to form a full-time catcher. For Mathews, though, it is time. I want to get a good starting season as he'll likely hit 4th or 5th for me. However, I do have spare at-bats from Alvin Dark so I don't need the 700+ PA versions of Mathews and I prefer not to take the extra salary. 1954 Mathews went to calhoop a couple round ago leaving 1955 as the best remaining combination. Wtih 648 PA and a $6.7m salary, he's cheaper than the 1953 and 1963 versions. His 1.002 OPS# is one of only 3 of his seasons at that level, and his B-/B- defense is perfectly fine. I had a bit of a scare when primetimetw took a Mathews but he took the 57 version, so I happily grabbed the 55 version here.

Post-draft: Pretty lucky here. In hindsight, probably the best fit of any Mathews for my team and I got him in Round 11. Other versions would have been worse hitters or had leftover PA. While I was focused on fitting everything together with Ruth and Hornsby in tow, I hadn't given as much thought to, you know, actually getting good hitters to drive in Ruth and Hornsby. Mathews will be a great middle of the order hitter behind those two.

===

Pick 12.5: 1930 Earl Whitehill
Down to 4 picks: Spahn, Whitehill, Ruth, and Davis. A few Davises have gone and while there are some versions of him that I prefer to others, it's not by much. There are 8 versions of him left and 7 owners who need him. He has 4 versions where he hits reasonably well but has 340-460 PA and a salary in the $2.7m to $4.2m range. Those 4 will need to be paired with a lefty with 200-300 PA (which I have a few options already and may add a couple more with my final picks). The worst version for me is 1936 Davis as he has 423 PA and costs $2.8m but doesn't hit very well. But I can avoid one version, so he'll be the one I avoid. That leaves 3 other versions that don't hit great, but also only have 200-250 PA and cost under $2m. They'll simply be the short-side of the platoon and hit against lefties and potentially be a defensive replacement (1928 Davis, in particular, has an A+ arm).

Ruth is in the same spot. I prefer the 1923 version mostly because it's cheaper but also for the better defense at both 1B and OF (I'll need him to spell Bottomley there for rest and defensive purposes) and higher OBP (vs higher SLG for the 1923 version).

Spahn hasn't been taken since Round 9 so there's 4 of us still waiting, but there are 9 versions left. He'll need to be my #2 starter alongside Feller but he has 7 versions left with an ERC# between 2.86 and 3.14. Most of those are right around $8m (in fact, 4 of them are between $7.9 and $8.1m and another yet is at $8.26m) so there's not much separating them. He'll likely be my last pick.

That means it's Whitehill time. I actually will have only about 1150 innings (depending on the exact version of Spahn that I get) better than Whitehill. That includes my two likely releiver teammates (1946 Earl Caldwell and 1927 Johnny Miljus) but excludes 1934 Lefty Grove (4.93 ERC#) who will be mop-up only. That means Whitehill will have to pitch (at least in the regular season, hopefully I can rest him during the playoffs, should we make it there) as a swing man in long relief and spot starts. Saving money is priority #1, but I'd rather have 233 innings at 3.97 ERC# than 286 at 4.28, for instance. Plus the 1930 version has a respectable HR# (0.36) and is the cheapest version left anyway, but still better than more than half of the remaining versions. The better versions all cost a million dollars or more. Oh, calhoop just picked and took a different version of Whitehill (1925), so I got the 1930 version.

Post-draft: I probably should have given more thought to drafting one of the two $4m Whitehills earlier. While his 4 cheapest versions all went in the first 6 rounds, the $4m ones went in Round 7 and then 10. I had kind of written Whitehill off as pretty similar, which was correct early on, but as things got later the extra million or so of salary difference becomes magnified. Getting the last of the three $5.1m versions was nice and maybe the domino effects of taking the cheaper version in Round 9 or 10 would have hurt elsewhere, but that $800k in savings would have been useful.

Whitehill did end up bringing me part of my catching platoon, with C Pinky Hargrave. He actually had both a partial and combined option, which was nice as I was piecing things together. I ended up using his partial version with fewer PA but a better bat.

===

Pick 13.5: 1940 Spud Davis
I know I'm waiting on Spahn until the end so this is between Spud Davis and Ruth. As I mapped out my catching options in even more depth, the 1940 Spud Davis gave me the best way to fit the puzzle pieces. He, himself, is a very good hitter--one of the best options available to me including teammates. He has 341 PA and I'm able to pair him with a handful of teammate options in the 200 PA range. 1927 Earl Smith is just $1.4m but is a lefty with 233 PA and some decent hitting numbers. That gives me 574 PA from my top two catcher options and I can add one of the few scrubs I'll need to use to soak up some catcher at-bats to rest these two. The other Davis options had clunky platoon pairings. Some had too many or too few PA, others weren't potent enough. For instance, I could have paired 1937 or 1939 Spud Davis with 1923 Wally Schang (336 PA) but Schang is worse than 40 Davis and 37/39 Davis are equal/worse than 27 Smith. Not wanting to lose out on the best catching option I could get, I rolled the dice and went with 40 Davis.

Post-draft: Maybe should have gone 1923 Ruth here? But then again, maybe not. I didn't NEED his fielding upgrade over the '21 version and the extra salary ended up being a pretty easy swap out of Watkins for Fisher. I don't actually think the extra 140 PA of Watkins would have been all that material. Getting 1940 Davis probably means my primary catcher is better than it would have been had I waited and that's probably more important than Watkins vs Fisher or 21 vs 23 Ruth.

===

Pick 14.5: 1961 Warren Spahn
Pick 15.5: 1921 Babe Ruth

Darn, primetimetw went with 1923 Ruth. That gave me 21 Ruth as my last pick. It's now time to put my whole roster together and pick my Spahn as part of it.

With the more expensive Ruth, I knew my likely adjustment and that was moving from one teammate of Jim Bottomley to another: George Watkins to Showboat Fisher. While I lost at-bats (447 to 301) and some (poor) 2B fielding ability, I gained in cool names, that's for sure. Showboat offset the Ruth salary increase and then some, so I had a few extra dollars to play around with. While I did one last check, I confirmed I am good with 5 teammates: (1) RP Earl Caldwell, (2) RP Johnny Miljus, (3) SS Lou Boudreau, (4) OF Showboat Fisher and (5) OF Ray Blades. I need one more on a catcher and then three scrubs. With the extra cap space, I saw I was able to get a few more catching PA and so I actually moved from 1927 Ear Smith to 1930 Pinky Hargrave. Hargrave has about 50-60 fewer PA but is a better hitter. He and Spud Davis only combine for 511 PA but that should be enough to do the bulk of the important innnigs and all of the playoffs. I added both 1961 Charlie Lau (108 PA, at least has an OBP# of .324!) and 1961 Sammy White ($200k player but has catcher ratings with 72 PA). That's 180 extra catching PA that I can rest my top two guys when needed. My final spot went to Eddie Lake, who has ratings at 2B, SS, and 3B. Alas he hit .106 in his 98 PA so let's hope that no important at-bats actually go to him. But he can rest Hornsby and Boudreau in blowouts.

Post-draft: Spahn ended up being the perfect guy to wait on. Not only did he actually have excess versions (and he actually did, unlike some of the other guys my spreadsheet error thought had more), but he had a bunch of VERY similar options. I could essentially plug in $8m in salary and 280 innings and know I'd get something around that. Technically, I drafted him 14th and not 15th, but that's just because I was the last one on Ruth. Funny enough, he brought me TWO teammates. Though both are scrubs, they were useful ones as they were both catchers--C Charlie Lau (108 PA) and C Sammy White (72 PA) gave me 180 PA behind the plate for jus $680k. That allowed me to upgrade to a better-hitting Hargrave knowing that if needed I at least had some backups to throw in to rest Hargrave and Davis. Lau, in particular, won't embarrass himself out there with a .324 OBP# and C-/B-/D+ ratings.

===

Summary:
I ended up with 5580 PA and 1511 IP so very little waste there. Of course, Ruth is about $9m above his normal salary and Hornsby about $1m over his so that's around $10m of excess salary there.

My offense should be very good--I have the best Ruth and one of the top 2-3 Hornsbys. My worst regular is Bottomley, but he's fine. All of my regulars and key platooners have OPS# over .800. I have 4 guys that should play everyday--Ruth, Hornsby, Boudreau, and Mathews. Bottomley (590) and Mantle (580) have close to a full season of PA, but will need some help, some of which will come from stud hitter Ray Blades (134 PA). The final 2 spots will be my catching platoon (Davis/Hargrave) and an OF platoon (Fisher/Cuyler). My deep bench has 4 players with 438 PA combined--Dark will backup 3B, OF, and 1B; Lake will backup 2B and SS; and both Lau and White will backup the catchers.

Defensively, it's a bit of a mixed bag. Hornsby (D+/C-), Bottomley (C+/D+), and two of my RFers (Blades and Fisher) aren't great. My catchers have B+/C+ arms, not terrible but not great. Mathews (B-/B-) and Ruth (C/B) will be fine in corner spots. Boudreau (A/A) and Cuyler/Mantle (both B/A) will give me good SS and CF play.

My pitching will probably be on the weaker side of the league, but my hope is that by not wasting innings and by using Whitehill that I could put that money towards my offense. I have 1161 quality IP with ERC# below 3.00. Nearly 300 of those are stud reliever innnigs by Abernathy, Caldwell, and Miljus with ERC# below 2.00. Another 120 innings are solid relievers (Pollet and Lyons) with ERC# around 2.40 to 2.50. I then have 3 bigger-inning pitchers with ERC# in the high 2s--Feller (315 IP, 2.78 ERC#) and Spahn (277 IP, 2.90 ERC#) will be in the rotation while Hubbell (166 IP, 2.78 ERC#) will flip between long relief and spot starts. Whitehill (233 IP, 3.97 ERC#) will have to pitch, hopefully mostly as a Long B-type. That gets me almost up to 1400 innings (1394 to be exact). My 117 IP, 4.93 ERC# Lefty Grove will be a mop-up and gets me over 1500 innings.

Ballpark: Sportsman's Park (III)
I have a bit of a HR-prone staff with Feller, Spahn, and Hubbell all above 0.50 HR#. However, I also have 21 Ruth plus power in Hornsby, Mathews, Fisher, and others. Most of my power is in lefties and I have plenty of doubles so while I did give some thought to Robison Field (+2 HR to RF, -1 HR to LF), it is just neutral on doubles and is -1 on singles. Sportsman's is pretty neutral on HR but favors them to RF (+1), while being even to LF. It also is +3 for doubles. I didn't do a full analysis but just guessing I'll be above-average in doubles production.

Position players:
$76.7m salary
5580 PA (5302 excluding Lau, Lake, and White)

C Davis/Hargrave
1B Bottomley
2B Hornsby
3B Mathews
SS Boudreau
LF Ruth (switch to 1B when Bottomley needs to rest)
CF Mantle/Cuyler
RF Fisher/Cuyler/Blades
Bench: Dark (3B/1B/OF), Lake (2B/SS), Lau (C), White (C)

Pitching staff:
$43.3m salary
1511 IP (1394 excluding Grove)

Starters: Feller, Spahn
Swingmen: Hubbell, Whitehill
Relief aces: Abernathy, Caldwell, Miljus
Setup: Pollet, Lyons
Mop-up: Grove
1/21/2024 3:24 PM (edited)
When I signed up, I knew I'd be at a huge disadvantage, since this would be the first time I've taken part in a 16x16 draft. I nominated catcher Spud Davis and chose the one season -- 1933 -- in which he had nearly 600 at-bats. That would allow me to use a cheap backup, who turned out to be 1933 Gilly Campbell, whoever he is.

Pick 1.12
1968 Mickey Mantle, Yankees, $3,675,471

It was obvious that the nominated pitchers combined to produce an alarmingly low number of strong seasons, so I was searching for a season/team that would provide several quality "teammates" who would form the nucleus of my pitching staff. The bad news is that I basically wasted Mantle by taking his 1968 season. However, the good news is that I was able to acquire four decent pitchers -- Fritz Peterson, Stan Bahnsen, Mel Stottlemyre and closer Steve Hamilton -- and more than 800 innings from the '68 Yankees.

Pick 2.5
1922 Babe Ruth, Yankees, $6,514,543

At this early point in the draft, nine versions of Ruth already has been chosen. This obviously isn't one the Babe's better campaigns, but all remaining Ruth seasons were over $18 million or under under $4 million, so my options were rather limited.

Pick 3.3

1932 Carl Hubbell, Giants, $9,128,014

Quality pitching, which was sparse to begin with, was going quickly, and this version of Hubbell seemed to be the best available starter. I also liked the idea that I could add productive versions of teammates Mel Ott and Bill Terry, if needed, although neither of those options materialized.

Pick 4.6
1929 Rogers Hornsby, Cubs, $10,620,951

I'd already missed out on elite versions of Mantle and Ruth, so I was determined not to allow the same thing to happen with Hornsby. Additionally, I already knew I'd need at least one "teammate" as a starting outfielder, and this choice made Hack Wilson (.345 ave., 39 homers) available. As it turned out, my starting shortstop will be Woody English, another member of the '29 Cubs, although that transpired largely due to salary cap issues.

Pick 5.9
1963 Warren Spahn, Braves, $6,345,901

Spahn's '56 and '63 seasons were arguably the top two remaining starting pitching options. I chose the '63 campaign simply because it was more than $2 million cheaper than 1956. Also, this allowed me to add Spahn teammate Bob Sadowski, a reliever with a 2.62 ERA in 117 innings. Including Sadowski and the quartet of 1968 Yankees pitchers, I now had seven pitchers and almost 1,500 innings. Strangely enough, I'm not sure if any of the six pitchers I drafted after the fifth round will be used in anything other than low-leverage and mop-up situations. That's a lot of wasted innings. One final note: The next starting pitcher selected, just a few picks later, was '56 Spahn by njbigwig.

Pick 6.11
1938 Earl Whitehill, Indians, $2,763,753

By the time I made this pick, I knew I needed a legitimate centerfielder. I selected Whitehill because he was inexpensive and because I'd be able to put his Indians teammate Earl Averill -- .330 ave., A- range -- in the middle of my outfield.

Pick 7.10
1960 Alvin Dark, Phillies, $921,992

I was considering a few different options at shortstop, and Dark, frankly, wasn't one of them. I can't ever remember drafting Dark and and being pleased with his production.

Pick 8.9
1938 Lefty Grove, Red Sox, $4,644,949

The plan here was to select 1935 Ted Lyons, which would enable me to add his teammate Luke Appling and make him my shortstop. But happyhours drafted '35 Lyons with the pick before mine. Time for Plan B. Despite Grove's mediocre numbers, this choice seemed to make sense because it would allow me to use Grove teammate Joe Cronin as my shortstop. Unfortunately, as I alluded to earlier, Cronin's salary proved to be about $2 million more than I could afford.

Pick 9.8
1933 Kiki Cuyler, Cubs, $2,226,174
I'll be using Cuyler as a fourth outfielder who figures to get about 250 at-bats. This version of him -- particularly a .317 ave. and .376 OBP -- fit well.

Pick 10.7
1936 Jim Bottomley, Browns, $3,614,057

Not terrible, but I definitely would have preferred to draft a more productive version of Bottomley. The problem was, Bottomley was chosen seven times in the previous two rounds, so in retrospect, I simply waited too long.

Pick 11.7
1953 Pollet, Pirates, $2,337,231

Trying to save as much money as possible, and this was the cheapest version of this pitcher still on the board. Not expected to contribute.

Round 12.7
1938 Ted Lyons, White Sox, $4,337,245

See comments from previous round.

Pick 13.6
1956 Eddie Mathews, Braves, $5,244,262
The reason I waited until so late in the draft before selecting Mathews is because I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to spend on my third baseman. I'll be delighted if he can approach his real-life home run total of 37 and his OBP of .373.

Round 14.7
1970 Ted Abernathy, Cardinals, $2,060,620
There were three versions still available, all within about $100,000 one one another. Here is yet another pitcher who is extremely unlikely to provide any return whatsoever.

Round 15.4
1951 Bob Feller, Indians, $5,740,858
Excluding so-called "teammates," Feller's 1.34 WHIP somehow is the third best among the eight nominated pitchers I drafted.

What to expect
Honestly, I have no idea. My hope is that Hubbell, Spahn and the pitchers from the '68 Yankees keep my team competitive. I'm assuming everyone else will have a pitching staff with a ton of wasted innings, but I can't be sure, largely because I'm new to this kind of league. Offensively, Hornsby is easily my best hitter. The other regulars, with the possible exception of English at shortstop, should be okay but certainly not dominant. If nothing else, I look forward to applying the lessons I learned in this draft the next time around.
1/21/2024 4:16 PM (edited)
LEAGUE NUMBER = MLB139361

Please use your nominated player in your team name.
1/21/2024 3:30 PM
EDIT TO MY WRITEUP ABOVE

As I was getting ready to enter my team, I had to pick a ballpark. Well, I realized that I didn't really have a lot of HR power. I wanted to play in a negative park, but then why would I roster Mel Ott? So I started looking to downgrade to Paul Waner, who makes much more sense. Since I was saving some salary, I started looking for a way to get Jim Hearn on the roster. Waner wouldn't do it. Then I started thinking, "What if I moved Hornsby to the OF"? BINGO!

I dropped '36 Mel Ott and added '25 Jimmy Dy.kes (.307, .377, .48, A+ range at 3B). I switched Don McMahon's combined '68 season (82 ips, 2.18 erc#) to his partial season (36 ips, 1.81 erc#) . So now, I am able to drop Fred Frankhouse and add '50 Jim Hearn (141 ips, 1.69, .182, 0.93, 0.51).

Clearly, it's a downgrade on offense from Mel Ott to Jimmy Dy.kes, but a huge upgrade in pitching and defense. Gonna play my home games at Municipal Stadium to deny HRs to guys like Ruth, Mantle, Mathews.

POSITION PLAYERS (PA, AVG#, OBP#, SLG#)
C: Spud Davis (R) 472, .328, .399, .515 (B/D/B) & Johnny Schulte (L) 221, .278, 450, .536 (D/D/B)
1B: Jim Bottomley (L) 719, .293, 382, .507 (C/A++)
2B: Frankie Frisch (S) 734, .326, .382, .470 (B/A++)
3B: Jimmy Dy.kes (R) 569, .307, .377, .458 (C/A++) & Bobby Estalella (R) 72, .304, .473, .460 (C/A+)
SS: Alvin Dark (R) 723, .305, .350, 450 (C-/A-)
OF: Rogers Hornsby (R) 714, .381, .453, .631 (C/C+)
OF: Mickey Mantle (S) 673, .290, .394, .513 (A/A)
OF: Kiki Cuyler (R) 735, .311, .375, .458 (C/A)
Pinch Hitter: Gates Brown (L) 104, .390, .460, .704
(Not used: Mathews, Ruth)

PITCHING STAFF
Warren Spahn (L) 280, 2.09, .215, 1.03, 0.37
Carl Hubbell (L) 320, 2.19, .228, 1.03, 0.24
Ted Lyons (R) 277, 3.25, .263, 1.28, 0.29
Howie Pollet (L) 246, 3.28, .256, 1.25, 0.62

Jim Hearn (R) 141, 1.69, .182, 0.93, 0.51
Bobby Shantz (L) 100, 1.83, .194, 1.04, 0.32
Don McMahon (R) 36, 1.81, .197, 0.98, 0.49
Bob Feller (R) 81, 2.45, .196, 1.19, 0.17
Ad Liska (R) 29, 2.61, .232, 1.20, 0.00
(Not used: Grove, Whitehill, Abernathy)
1/21/2024 4:11 PM (edited)
16 x 16 Version 33 kicks off on a Wednesday evening while I am bowling. The Schwarze drafts are always the best – I have participated in all except the first one before I stumbled upon his drafts. This time it is “first come first serve” but there is no blacklist, since I don’t want to miss out Pedro Cerrano was kind enough reach out and claim, “fan favorite” Earl Whitehill on my behalf. Please note: Pedro’s kindness does not excuse him from his betrayal when we moved to away causing us to lose our exceptional anchorman too many years ago.

The first-round draft order rule change to “highest to lowest” certainly improved the talent that was available compared to earlier drafts. Because of big salaried hitters in Ruth, Hornsby and Mantle it will be important to avoid the huge $26M, $25M, $19M, $18M, and $14M that they offer. Salary is going to tight, I will try to utilize all the nominated players including two elite starters and rely very little on teammates. A wise man once said, “It’s not wasted salary if you end up using him.” I will implement the “Stephen Stills Strategy– if you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.

All referenced figures are normalized.

Pick 1.15 – 1926 Babe Ruth (B/C) $14.0M (PA 686, .360/.503/.734/1.237)
I really wanted one of Ruth’s $9M to $12M seasons. Pedro started the round by picking a Ruth, I selected the last and eighth Ruth in the first round, spending more than I wanted but I avoided the $26M, $25M and even the $18M versions.

Pick 2.8 – 1927 Ted Lyons $10.3M (IP 326, ERC 2.49, HR Ratio .27)
I grabbed one of the elite pitchers here despite the $10 million hit and drop in draft order.

Pick 3.11 – 1927 Rogers Hornsby (B-/B-) $10.2M (PA 720, .350/.443/.584/1.027)
I was really set on taking my second elite starter here but became concerned that a Hornsby run might start after 3 were taken in the second round and two more before I caved and took the third Hornsby in this round. As a result, I will have a nice bat at #2 in front of Babe Ruth.

Pick 4.14 – 1927 Lefty Grove $7.8M (IP 276, ERC 2.84, HR Ratio .27)
Before I went to bed, three players were on my radar, and I had to wait for four picks before I get to make my selection. Naturally, after a sleepless night, I get sniped by mllama who takes the stud $12M Feller that I wanted. Two picks later Calhoop snipes the cheap 1956 Feller that comes with a nice Herb Score and potential closer, Ray Narleski. Meanwhile the 1962 Mantle would be nice to pair up with Ruth and Hornsby but as it turns out eblankenstei takes him also before my pick but it ends up being a blessing in the long run as a fortunate recovery with Mantle is made in the seventh round. I take the best available starter, Lefty Grove, but the dream of two elite starters has been lost.

Pick 5.16 – 1956 Warren Spahn $8.6M (IP 296, ERC 2.63, HR Ratio .64)
Wednesday night, which means bowling, I need to leave the house by 5 PM and seven picks need to come off the board before I pick. I bring my laptop to the bowling alley and await “the call” from Pedro to let me know who came off the board. At 6:45 Pedro lets me know who was taken, this means that 7 picks were made since I left – one pick every fifteen minutes, you guys are killing me. In between frames, I updated my spreadsheet, do some quick analysis and make my pick, a very usable Warren Spahn. After claiming my third starter, there are no other nominated starters that warrant an early pick – I will focus on my hitting.

Pick 6.15 – 1929 Kiki Cuyler (C+/C+) $6.3M (PA 636, .341/.423/.510/.932)
Need a solid leadoff hitter to bat before Hornsby and Ruth. Enter Kiki .341/. 423/.510 with 84 speed, light on plate appearances with 636 but it will work.

Pick 7.16 – 1961 Mickey Mantle (B/A) $11.4M (PA 646, .321/.448/.681/1.129)
Why can't I have nice things? Salary cap be damned. I need someone to protect Ruth in the lineup, also need a centerfielder the 1961 Mantle is still available because of his $11M salary. This is a nice recovery from the 4th round skunking by eblankstei earlier but spent more than I wanted.

Pick 8.16 – 1925 Jim Bottomley (C-/B) $7.0M (PA 722, .350/.404/.562/.965)
The 1925 Jim Bottomley with his .350 average and .562 slugging should help Protect Mantle in the lineup. Fortunate that one of Bottomley's best seasons is still available.

Pick 9.16 – 1953 Alvin Dark (B/A-) $7.3M (PA 729, .298/.332/.473/.805)
Only two viable SS options. I wanted either the 1953 Dark or a platoon using the 1956 Dark with the 1927 Travis Jackson luckily the expensive version was available. Easy Choice.

Pick 10.16 – 1953 Howie Pollet $2.4M (Purely mop up innings)
Wasted salary. I really want to take my Eddie Mathews here, but I need to save some salary for a platoon catcher, pinch hitters and maybe some low inning relief pitchers if possible.

Pick 11.16 – 1953 Eddie Mathews (B/C+) $7.2M (PA 709, .308/.392/.583/.976)
Another nice bat to extend the line up. Hitting 6th behind Bottomley in the batting order.

Pick 12.16 – 1957 Ted Abernathy $1.0M (Purely mop up innings)
More wasted salary. Making room for teammates. Third cheapest Abernathy in the 12 round, Yahtzee!

Pick 13.16 – 1950 Bob Feller $5.7M (IP 260, ERC 3.33, HR Ratio .66)
Not a bad option for long relief at this point, although homerun ratio is higher than I’d like.

Pick 14.16 – 1931 Spud Davis (A/C-/A) $4.2M (PA 456, .318/.380/.440/.820)
Many catcher options to platoon with Davis, tried to avoid wasted dollars on my #8 hitter in my line-up.

Pick 15.16 – 1930 Carl Hubbell $6.4M (IP 255, ERC 3.24, HR Ratio .39)
The Hubbell options that remained late were well suited for long relief, and I was totally indifferent. Happy to get the Hubbell with the 2nd lowest homerun ratio.

Teammates $8.6M
Two decent pinch hit options, low plate appearances.
Two decent defensive/rest options, low plate appearances.
Three low inning relief pitchers, good enough to set up on this team.
A platoon catcher with 275 plate appearances to compliment Stud Davis, typo intended.

In Summary
This team only has one elite starting pitcher Ted Lyons (hopefully Lion not Lying) but this team with be able to hit. As long as I don’t choose the Astrodome as a stadium, I should compete, but time will tell. But most importantly I did not exceed the $120M salary cap that would have kept me from participating in the best of all WIS drafts next time. Overall, I am very happy with the team, not much wasted salary approximately $4M.
1/21/2024 4:08 PM
Nomination - 1940 Feller. The theory was that quality starting pitching would be at a premium given the constraints of the theme, and 40 Feller struck me as the best available SP season of any pitcher that had 16 eligible seasons. I figured I would give myself an advantage right off the bat. Plus, his salary would put me toward the top of the first round, which I thought would be an advantage (don’t think it worked out that way).

Round 1 – 1930 Lefty Grove. Continued to hit the pitching theme. I was really torn between grabbing Grove – who was one of the best available pitchers and came with great teammates – and 1931 Ruth. Ruth presented the biggest potential for salary cap squeeze, and came with a pretty good Lefty Gomez. At the end of the day I went with Grove because 1) his stats were better, 2) I figured it unlikely that I got squeezed with 21 or 23 Ruth right away, and 3) it was early enough that even if I did, I would figure everything out later. Famous last words.

As a bonus, 30 Grove had some great teammates: Mickey Cochrane, Al Simmons, and Jimmy Foxx. I spent most of the draft trying to fit all three in, but, alas, at the end of the day Al Simmons had to go.

Round 2 – 1925 Babe Ruth. Contrary to the assumption in point #2 above, a crapton of Ruths got taken (including 31 Ruth being taken right after me in round 1; at least I was thinking about it the right way?). There were only a few seasons left. And even though I was ready to deal with the problems that would have come with taking an $18M+ player this early, I didn’t want to. 25 Ruth was basically the only option I had.

Round 3 – 48 Pollet. Pitching theme continues. But 48 Pollet is terrible you say? Yes. Yes he is. But his teammate is 1948 Harry Brecheen, who was, by my lights, the last available top tier starter. This would lock me in with what I would hope is a top rotation. Plus he came with a great version of Stan Musial, who I spent the next 3-4 rounds trying to fit into the scheme but then bowed to reality that he was never going to make it.

Round 4 – 62 Mantle. Purely reactionary. Tried to get ahead of a salary cap squeeze on him. I thought this Mantle offered the best value for the price. Plus, at this point I was planning on having 48 Musial on the team, so I could platoon Mantle and Ruth (with the other one being a great late inning pinch hitter).

Round 5 – 22 Hornsby. Probably my most consequential pick. Spent a lot of time going back and forth between 22 and 33 (super cheap bench bat). Did a lot of scheming to see if I could draft 22 while still keeping Musial AND Simmons (spoiler alert: it didn’t work). I ended up going with 22 because I didn’t want to be that far behind everyone in 2B production, and, when in doubt, take the better hitter. This pick basically put an end to the dream of having 48 Musial on the team. But I still was holding out hope for 30 Simmons. Plus, taking Musial out of the plans opened up a spot for 30 Foxx.

This pick also consigned me to picking at the back end of each round for the rest of the draft. Upon reflection I probably should have gone with 33. But oh well.

Round 6 – 31 Lyons. Pure salary cap play. Had my rotation locked in. Had already spent a ton on position players, so now I was just trying to maintain flexibility to be able to afford as many quality teammates as I could.

Round 7 – 48 Spahn. Part salary cap play, part trying to find useable innings. His hr/9 is not great, but everything else worked such that he would make a good swingman behind my rotation. He put me over 1200 useable IP, which was helpful.

Round 8 – 44 Davis. I was committed to using 30 Cochrane as my starting C, but I needed to draft a Davis, and also needed some backup PA just in case I couldn’t stretch Cochrane all the way even batting him 9th. Plus, this continued the “save money” theme.

Round 9 – 35 Bottomley. Another consequential choice. This was the cheapest Bottomley available. It basically locked me into using 30 Foxx at 1B. No turning back.

Bonus note: I messed up something in my tracking spreadsheet, and only marked as taken this round the partial 56 Dark-STL season. This would have consequences later.

Round 10 – 40 Hubbell. At this point in the draft I was still trying to save money to fit in Foxx, Simmons, and Cochrane. I was trying to figure out the best way to save as much cap space as possible. I settled on 40 Hubbell because 1) there were only a handful of versions left, and the nearly $2M jump to the next cheapest option was by far the highest opportunity cost of the players I had left and 2) he was almost useable if you ignored his horrendous hr/9. I figure he would be useable in small bursts if necessary, or as a mop-up/long man in some games.

Round 11 – 32 Cuyler. Between Ruth and Mantle I was about 300 PA short of manning two OF positions. 32 Cuyler fit the bill okay (wasn’t first choice – was hoping for 38, but he was taken right after my pick last round) and wasn’t super expensive.

Round 12 – 34 Whitehill. Whitehill was always going to dead innings, and I had put this off for long enough. I grabbed the cheapest version left. But this official killed the dream of working Al Simmons into the team, so I swapped him out for Whitehill’s teammate, Heinie Manush. Serious downgrade in power and average (but less so in average). But the salary cap relief was necessary.

On reflection, this is where, had my spreadsheet been accurate, I would have taken a version of Alvin Dark. I thought that 56 St. Louis season was still available, so I was willing to roll the dice. Big mistake.

Round 13 – 69 Abernathy. Just taking the cheapest version. Between Feller, Grove, Brecheen, Spahn, and Hubble I had nearly 1400 IP. Everyone else would be just “pitch in extras and while losing.”

Round 14 and 15 – 58 Mathews and 59 Dark. I was fine with 58 Mathews; he plays really good defense and hits for some power. Everyone is going to have a hole in their lineup, so I was willing to swallow his terrible average. But it was at this point that I realized 59 Dark was the only one left. 59 Dark is D-/D- at SS, and he brings nothing to the table on offense. I have no room under the cap to grab a teammate with substantial short stop PAs, though I did manage to grab a couple of teammates with ~250. I will probably end up playing Dark at 3B (where he is C/C) and someone else (likely Mathews) out of position at SS. Could be a VERY long season because of this blunder by me.
1/21/2024 4:52 PM
Draft Summary

Where did players get drafted?
Average round drafted in:
3.3 Babe Ruth
4.5 Rogers Hornsby
5.8 Carl Hubbell
6.2 Lefty Grove
6.5 Bob Feller
7.0 Mickey Mantle
7.7 Ted Lyons
7.9 Warren Spahn
8.2 Howie Pollet
8.3 Alvin Dark
9.1 Jim Bottomley
10.1 Kiki Cuyler
10.5 Eddie Mathews
10.5 Earl Whitehill
11.1 Ted Abernathy
11.4 Spud Davis

- Ruth was drafted 8 times in the 1st Round and 12 times total in the first 2 rounds. He was drafted just once between Rounds 3 and 13, with his two big salary seasons waited on until the end.
- Hornsby didn't get drafted at all in the 1st, but was drafted at least 3 teams in each of the next 4 rounds, a total of 13 times in Rounds 2 to 5.
- Hubbell, Grove and Feller were the most sought after pitchers, each was drafted in all of the first 4 rounds. All three had over half of their total picks taken in the first 5 rounds.
- Mantle was pretty spread out, but was clearly ahead of the remaining hitters. He was picked 6 times in the first 4 rounds. Besides Ruth and Hornsby, there were only a TOTAL of 3 other hitters taken that early (two Darks and a Mathews).
- Lyons, Spahn, and Pollet made up the second tier of pitchers. Each was picked 3 times in the first four rounds, but mostly they were picked in the middle rounds. Lyons was picked 9 times between rounds 5 and 10. Spahn and Pollet were each picked 8 times in that span.
- Bottomley and Cuyler were favorites right in the middle of the draft. Outside of Ruth in Round 1, Bottomley's 5 picks in Round 8 were the most of any player-round (tied with Whitehill, Round 12). Cuyler was then picked 4 times in Round 9.
- Mathews was probably a better player than the two above but his similar seasons meant he got drafted later. After just 5 picks in the first 10 rounds, he went 9 times total between Rounds 11 to 13 (3 in each round).
- Whitehill was taken twice early (2nd and 3rd round) and two more times in the mid rounds (6th and 7th) but those were solely to get his weak but cheap seasons. He was picked 5 times in Round 12 and ten times total in the final 4 rounds.
- Abernathy and Spud Davis where late picks. Just one total pick (Abernathy in Round 1) between these two in the first 5 rounds, but each got picked at least once in every round from 10 to 15.

How much did everyone spend on nominated players?
Owner Nominated $
njbigwig $111,220,586
happyhours $99,762,963
footballmm11 $99,440,937
3dayrotation $93,746,231
fatguyrd $90,911,627
schwarze $90,308,427
pedrocerrano $89,278,072
eblankenstei $87,660,720
thejuice6 $85,187,036
mllama54 $84,678,635
PrimetimeTW $83,654,701
ronthegenius $79,250,962
BeAllEndAll $78,311,942
nocomm999 $75,736,462
redcped $71,876,850
calhoop $68,973,665

- njbigwig went for it! Less than $10m left for teammates.
- I didn't realize I would be so high, but Ruth's $26m certainly pushes this higher. Me and happyhours topped out just shy of $100m, leaving $20m for teammates.
- Most people seemed to float in the $85m to $95m range, with 8 owners around there. That leaves $30m for teammates, give or take.
- Five owners went under $80m, with calhoop actually getting under $70m. Will be interesting to see how they spend their $40-50m on teammates.
1/21/2024 4:52 PM
The average salary spent (per team) on the 16 nominated players was $86.9 million, leaving $33.1 million on teammates.
1/21/2024 5:07 PM
Great write-ups, keep 'em coming.
1/21/2024 5:32 PM
Agreed.
1/21/2024 7:02 PM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26|27 Next ▸
16x16 v33 Draft Thread & Writeups Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.