Teammate Chain Twist: DRAFT Thread Topic

so dvorr80 asked the following question via sitemail, which I think is relevant for everyone:

Given that teams that go over cap can throw back a player. If we are under cap, could we do same? For example could I throw back Lemaster at 200k to maximize my cap space for say another player from that roster?

I will admit that I did not consider the possibility that owners would use the 'replacement player' clause for breeching the salary cap to strategically overshoot the cap and then readjust their roster to fit in just below the cap threshold. I can say, however, that this was not in the spirit of the rule when I wrote this clause.

This rule was meant as a mechanism to cover accidental cases, such as an owner mistaking the $100M salary cap for $110M. (This happened already to one of the two owners who went over the cap.) It was not meant to allow owners to "throw back" a player that they later regretted drafting.

I don't know if anyone has been deliberately planning this approach, but I would like to issue the following ruling, which will apply to any remaining picks:

If you are able to draft a player that will keep you under the salary cap, you MUST do so. Do NOT deliberately go over the cap. All draft selections are final.

I could have written the rule in a much more punitive way, but I didn't want to punish an owner who got stuck with a bad draw in the last round and couldn't find a valid season to get them under the cap.

I'm not going to punish calhoop or rmarksduke because I wasn't specific enough with my language around this rule. But I will ask that owners not deliberately flout the salary cap, since that is not in the spirit of the league.

With this in mind, regarding dvorr80's question: No, you cannot go back and "revise" previous selections. All picks are final.
2/19/2024 6:24 PM
Posted by _jwillis on 2/19/2024 6:26:00 PM (view original):
so dvorr80 asked the following question via sitemail, which I think is relevant for everyone:

Given that teams that go over cap can throw back a player. If we are under cap, could we do same? For example could I throw back Lemaster at 200k to maximize my cap space for say another player from that roster?

I will admit that I did not consider the possibility that owners would use the 'replacement player' clause for breeching the salary cap to strategically overshoot the cap and then readjust their roster to fit in just below the cap threshold. I can say, however, that this was not in the spirit of the rule when I wrote this clause.

This rule was meant as a mechanism to cover accidental cases, such as an owner mistaking the $100M salary cap for $110M. (This happened already to one of the two owners who went over the cap.) It was not meant to allow owners to "throw back" a player that they later regretted drafting.

I don't know if anyone has been deliberately planning this approach, but I would like to issue the following ruling, which will apply to any remaining picks:

If you are able to draft a player that will keep you under the salary cap, you MUST do so. Do NOT deliberately go over the cap. All draft selections are final.

I could have written the rule in a much more punitive way, but I didn't want to punish an owner who got stuck with a bad draw in the last round and couldn't find a valid season to get them under the cap.

I'm not going to punish calhoop or rmarksduke because I wasn't specific enough with my language around this rule. But I will ask that owners not deliberately flout the salary cap, since that is not in the spirit of the league.

With this in mind, regarding dvorr80's question: No, you cannot go back and "revise" previous selections. All picks are final.
Fair enough. Solid answer.
2/19/2024 6:28 PM
I have alot of good innings.....but definitely not enough!
2/19/2024 6:39 PM
Rmarksduke took Dave Radar 1972 in round 24, when he already had Cochrane. Obviously, his plan was to dump Cochrane in round 25. Presumably, Calhoop used a similar strategy.

What about if other owners did the same thing, by picking two starters at the same position? I take it they would still be able to dump one of the players, in order to get under the cap. For the record, I did not do that, although I thought of the possibility of drafting a better player in round 25 at a particular position than I had, then releasing the first player drafted for that position and getting a $200 K player to get under the cap.

It doesn't seem fair that Rmarksduke and Calhoop can utilize this strategy but nobody else can do so.
2/19/2024 6:54 PM
https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSH/1904.shtml

1904 Del Mason
Washington Senators
Position: P

Current Payroll: $99,898,084

Sitemail sent

2/19/2024 7:02 PM
Posted by slim senior on 2/19/2024 6:55:00 PM (view original):
Rmarksduke took Dave Radar 1972 in round 24, when he already had Cochrane. Obviously, his plan was to dump Cochrane in round 25. Presumably, Calhoop used a similar strategy.

What about if other owners did the same thing, by picking two starters at the same position? I take it they would still be able to dump one of the players, in order to get under the cap. For the record, I did not do that, although I thought of the possibility of drafting a better player in round 25 at a particular position than I had, then releasing the first player drafted for that position and getting a $200 K player to get under the cap.

It doesn't seem fair that Rmarksduke and Calhoop can utilize this strategy but nobody else can do so.
Rmarksduke accidentally went over the cap because he misread the cap. I’m not sure what accounts for calhoop being over the cap or whether this was a deliberate strategy.

In both cases, these owners were already over the cap entering Round 25. Both drafted relatively low salary players in Round 25. Neither of them deliberately overshot the cap in Round 25 in order to swap out a previously drafted player.

I will certainly clarify any ambiguity around this case in any future versions of this league, but given that this is the first running of this league, I will simply ask that owners please respect the salary cap and not abuse the “over the cap” mechanism for a strategic edge. This is not its intended purpose.
2/19/2024 7:04 PM
P Tom Hughes 1902 Boston Americanshttps://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1902.shtml

2/19/2024 7:27 PM
1898 Buck Freeman OF
Washington Senators

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WHS/1898.shtml

$99,909,952 Total Salary

sitemail sent
2/19/2024 7:56 PM
1907 Bill Dinneen P
Boston Americans...........$99.990.302
2/19/2024 8:25 PM
Came up around $50K short of a bunch of guys I would've liked to roster, so settling for:

Cy Young, 1911 Cleveland Naps

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/1911.shtml

Final payroll: $99,858,303
2/19/2024 9:05 PM
Posted by _jwillis on 2/19/2024 7:04:00 PM (view original):

Rmarksduke accidentally went over the cap because he misread the cap. I’m not sure what accounts for calhoop being over the cap or whether this was a deliberate strategy.

In both cases, these owners were already over the cap entering Round 25. Both drafted relatively low salary players in Round 25. Neither of them deliberately overshot the cap in Round 25 in order to swap out a previously drafted player.

I will certainly clarify any ambiguity around this case in any future versions of this league, but given that this is the first running of this league, I will simply ask that owners please respect the salary cap and not abuse the “over the cap” mechanism for a strategic edge. This is not its intended purpose.
Okay. Sure, Josh.
2/19/2024 9:06 PM
Posted by slim senior on 2/19/2024 9:06:00 PM (view original):

Okay. Sure, Josh.
Thanks for understanding. I'll concede that this isn't ideal and I apologize for failing to anticipate this eventuality. That's on me.

I'll be sure to make these rules totally unambiguous in any future versions of this league.
2/19/2024 9:19 PM
Posted by _jwillis on 2/19/2024 9:19:00 PM (view original):

Okay. Sure, Josh.
Thanks for understanding. I'll concede that this isn't ideal and I apologize for failing to anticipate this eventuality. That's on me.

I'll be sure to make these rules totally unambiguous in any future versions of this league.
You've run a tremendous draft with a fun concept. Thank you.
2/19/2024 9:32 PM
Posted by snuffy45 on 2/19/2024 9:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by _jwillis on 2/19/2024 9:19:00 PM (view original):

Okay. Sure, Josh.

You've run a tremendous draft with a fun concept. Thank you.
Appreciate that. I've had a lot of fun too! Looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out once the games start...
2/19/2024 9:36 PM
I agree with Snuffy. You've done a great job with this draft, Josh. Especially so, because this was a brand new concept for a draft. I know it was a lot of work and I greatly appreciate your efforts. I think that is probably true for everyone else, as well.
2/19/2024 9:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...50|51|52|53|54|55 Next ▸
Teammate Chain Twist: DRAFT Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.