OVR Rating - Position Specific? Topic

Throwing this out there: while I have learned to essentially disregard OVR Rating as a serious metric to determine viability in a player I did think of something today. Is the OVR Rating specific to position? For a pitcher does it factor pitching ratings with a higher weight than say, fielding ratings or hitting ratings?

Is the OVR Rating calculated the same way for every player regardless of position?

What is it? Some kind of an average across all ratings?
2/9/2024 9:42 PM
I wouldn’t call it an average. I think of it more of a composite.

And yes I think it’s calculated the same way for all players and not weighted for position. I’ve seen pitchers, for example, with higher Overalls than I expected and then realized they’re very good fielders.

Another example, Catchers kind of have a ceiling on their Overall because they naturally have low Range and Glove, unless they’re DiTR in which case their OA skyrockets because they can play other positions too.

As always, OA is skewed heavily toward Dur and Sta. Whenever I’m looking at draft prospects and I see a player with a high OA who can’t hit and isn’t a SS, I know he’s got a DUR over 85.

2/9/2024 11:17 PM
OVR Rating - Position Specific? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.