SD Gate: Big Class Loophole Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
There's restructure with nearly any new coach rebuild - I have to move my Formations over 2-3 seasons to Box/44. I also like to do a light version of class balancing SD does.

I will re-iterate his point - If it was easy to win a title or have sustained success with unbalanced classes everyone would do it. But the reality is its a strategy. You just went through it. Recruiting that class isn't easy and you only had 28 (which is light for his teams). By the time you get through the 17-20th player recruited, you are not getting a similar caliber player. You have to rely on potential and development on those.

I honestly have no idea why you took WVU - All you've done is whine about a decision you consciously made since you got there. You could have stayed at UCLA where a team was built to your liking and skill and you may have had moderate success there.

This game is all about choices and you can decide to play it on Easy level (still not easy as 30-50 players are still coming at you) with most Elite Jobs to Medium Level like a High Major in a decently full conference to Hard Level of practically any mid major with no recruiting money
2/16/2024 4:15 PM
You can’t compare switching FIQ to balancing classes. A huge class restructure requires more than 3 seasons to adjust. Perhaps 6-8 seasons especially if the class is 30+. That takes a hit on your reputation cutting and wasting recruiting money.

Wilkinson requires joining the big East for NIL. I’ll win a national title with WVU but with an asterisk.

big classes are easy to win with, FIQ is 10+ higher than most teams regardless if you sign the whole class. It gives you enough money to focus on the main parts. Everyone would do it but most want to play fair, be in contention every season.
2/16/2024 4:27 PM
Some folks like vanilla, some folks like strawberry, some folks like chocolate. I guess it all depends on what turns your crank. Personally, I'd rather build a team that will contend every season....and I like strawberry. I'm thankful for neapolitan.
2/16/2024 4:51 PM
Posted by AlekTX2020 on 2/16/2024 4:05:00 PM (view original):
Does everyone find the big classes advantage part of the game or a cheap low-life cheating tactic to gain an edge? I personally believe WIS should put a cap on the amount of scholarships you can have per class or per 2 classes. The amount of $$ for post season has changed, more like NIL. I think it’s time to close that loophole and create more parity. It’s causing me to game plan around people like SD to change my class structure to much his programs peak or else that strategy is a wash for everyone else in that given season. It’s also left him to bail after a big class national championship and leave the new coach to restructure which takes time to fix.
You should talk to Jedd Fisch.
2/16/2024 7:23 PM
Alek,
The class stacking strategy may not be like real college football at its most extreme, but college basketball most certainly now has varied uses of this with the transfer portal now at full operation. You could haul in several seniors or stack a loaded freshman recruiting haul. None of it is 'cheating' (aside from the advantage the blue bloods have in the money to do it, though its still not 'cheating'), just different ways of trying to achieve the same goal. And everyone has the opportunity to use this tactic if they wish, so that definitely eliminates any 'cheating' accusation. I also think the class stacking would be more effective at lower divisions where the growth rate is higher than in D1. At the end of the day you have to string together 6 wins to win the NCAA tournament against very good teams in the final few rounds. Same here just with 5 rounds instead of 6. No title is tainted. And if you win one at WVU, that will not be tainted and I will congratulate you. But I will wait for it . . .
2/17/2024 8:03 AM
And Alek,
I play against him in SEC Dobie. I don't feel the need to alter my gameplans, class structures, or strategies based on his. That's the mark of a coach not secure in his own ability to work his own strategy.
2/17/2024 8:13 AM
Posted by ksparks on 2/16/2024 4:51:00 PM (view original):
Some folks like vanilla, some folks like strawberry, some folks like chocolate. I guess it all depends on what turns your crank. Personally, I'd rather build a team that will contend every season....and I like strawberry. I'm thankful for neapolitan.
screw all that dairy

and the half dairy they call sherbet

give me the straight sorbet

2/17/2024 1:02 PM
Posted by ddollison on 2/17/2024 8:13:00 AM (view original):
And Alek,
I play against him in SEC Dobie. I don't feel the need to alter my gameplans, class structures, or strategies based on his. That's the mark of a coach not secure in his own ability to work his own strategy.
I didn’t say anything about game plans or strategies. But when you have a team in your conference with 25 SR’s and 20 JR’s that’s a cause for concern if you’re trying to win the conference every year. Class restructure to slightly alter the advantage it gives to your next threat is smart. If you’re not adapting to your opponents, you’re not fulfilling your potential to the fullest extent. Nick Saban knew this and switched his defensive physical criteria.

Everything is within the game until it isn’t. The promising the sophomore loophole that everyone was taking advantage of was part of the game until WIS said it wasn’t anymore. That’s where I’m trying to get at.
2/17/2024 3:09 PM
Posted by AlekTX2020 on 2/16/2024 4:05:00 PM (view original):
Does everyone find the big classes advantage part of the game or a cheap low-life cheating tactic to gain an edge? I personally believe WIS should put a cap on the amount of scholarships you can have per class or per 2 classes. The amount of $$ for post season has changed, more like NIL. I think it’s time to close that loophole and create more parity. It’s causing me to game plan around people like SD to change my class structure to much his programs peak or else that strategy is a wash for everyone else in that given season. It’s also left him to bail after a big class national championship and leave the new coach to restructure which takes time to fix.
That isn't the strategy I would choose but I don't care if others do. I also wouldn't mind a reasonable per-class limit.
2/17/2024 6:17 PM
Posted by ddollison on 2/17/2024 8:03:00 AM (view original):
Alek,
The class stacking strategy may not be like real college football at its most extreme, but college basketball most certainly now has varied uses of this with the transfer portal now at full operation. You could haul in several seniors or stack a loaded freshman recruiting haul. None of it is 'cheating' (aside from the advantage the blue bloods have in the money to do it, though its still not 'cheating'), just different ways of trying to achieve the same goal. And everyone has the opportunity to use this tactic if they wish, so that definitely eliminates any 'cheating' accusation. I also think the class stacking would be more effective at lower divisions where the growth rate is higher than in D1. At the end of the day you have to string together 6 wins to win the NCAA tournament against very good teams in the final few rounds. Same here just with 5 rounds instead of 6. No title is tainted. And if you win one at WVU, that will not be tainted and I will congratulate you. But I will wait for it . . .
So you are justifying it as not "cheating" because "everyone has the opportunity to use it"? That could have been said for the last 2 loopholes that were closed by WIS. This is a grey area that should be looked at by WIS. The others affected way less players than this one and did not have the impact this one does. We can prove that people are winning NC's because of this, but the effects of the other 2 could never be proven!
2/17/2024 10:51 PM
Posted by jhunterz on 2/17/2024 10:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ddollison on 2/17/2024 8:03:00 AM (view original):
Alek,
So you are justifying it as not "cheating" because "everyone has the opportunity to use it"? That could have been said for the last 2 loopholes that were closed by WIS. This is a grey area that should be looked at by WIS. The others affected way less players than this one and did not have the impact this one does. We can prove that people are winning NC's because of this, but the effects of the other 2 could never be proven!
Well, there's 2 choices. You can whine about it like Alek, or you can beat it. I like the challenge of beating different players using multiple strategies and I plan on giving SD a nice whipping in a few days. If I lose, though, I'm not gonna cry about it.
2/18/2024 7:50 AM
Bro, shut up. It’s a topic of discussion with a quality reasoning. Not me complaining that I can’t beat it. The only issue I had was having to restructure the classes I inherited.
2/18/2024 4:34 PM
Posted by AlekTX2020 on 2/18/2024 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Bro, shut up. It’s a topic of discussion with a quality reasoning. Not me complaining that I can’t beat it. The only issue I had was having to restructure the classes I inherited.
Yet you chose the team knowing full well what the roster makeup was. If it was an issue for you, don't take the team.
2/18/2024 8:43 PM
I think this is a valid concern: "It’s also left him to bail after a big class national championship and leave the new coach to restructure which takes time to fix."

I think there should be some general guard rails in place for just how much a coach can derange a program before he leaves. Other than that, you have a tempest in a teacup. My own classes are a little unbalanced, but they were that way when I got here and haven't materially changed them.
2/18/2024 9:56 PM
1|2|3...11 Next ▸
SD Gate: Big Class Loophole Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.