I am trying to understand this player's status and future status. I haven't had this situation before.
https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=10171763
I have him on the 40 right now, and he's in aaa making 55k. He is not on the arb list for next year, and he is the major league free agent list for next season with no link to negotiate. Will the 40 man keep him from retiring? Does the 40 have no effect on him at all? If I promote him, will his fa salary for next season open up and be something like 900k or more?
2/19/2024 4:33 AM
I can't make sense of the fact that you signed him to a minor league contract but he now is on your major league FA list... I wonder if putting him on your 40-man did that? In any case, if you promote him you should be able to negotiate with him for next year. But with 8 years of major league tenure he'll be a free agent every year that he's not under contract.
2/19/2024 2:01 PM
Thanks dedelman, I don't quite get it either. If I hadn't put him on the 40, I guess he would have stayed in the minor league pool but maybe not with the years of service, but then I ran the risk of losing him in the rule 5, and I also wanted to help keep him from retiring. What great numbers despite the low durability and stamina. The 40 does help prevent retirement right? If I leave him in the minors what will happen next season, what will his demands be? Major league demands I suppose?
2/20/2024 5:51 AM
Can only negotiate for next season with players on the ML roster.

He has enough ML time to be a FA next season. Being on the 40 man doesn't protect him.

To re-sign him, you'll need to promote him to the ML.

If he has options, you can put him right back in the MinL. If not, he'll have to clear waivers to demote.
2/24/2024 3:41 PM
Thanks tufft. Yeah I am planning on promoting him when rosters expand if not before. He shouldn't be too expensive. 900K? I suppose I was trying to figure out if I could keep him for cheap in the minors.
2/24/2024 8:52 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.