Savage XIV Rosters/Commentary Topic

Posted by 24kpyrite on 3/1/2024 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 3/1/2024 3:09:00 PM (view original):
Congrats to 24kpyrite for winning his first ever "shortest pick length title" with an average pick length of 6 minutes and 25 seconds!
I wasn't prepared for this and I am taken a back. First off, I would like to thank jhsukow and dbkc for creating a text message group for proper notification of my turn to pick. Couldn't have done it without you two!

I think with the right focus, attitude, and giving midge your phone number, we all can beat 385 seconds.
Thrilled to be a part of greatness.
3/1/2024 5:17 PM
Posted by 24kpyrite on 3/1/2024 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 3/1/2024 3:09:00 PM (view original):
Congrats to 24kpyrite for winning his first ever "shortest pick length title" with an average pick length of 6 minutes and 25 seconds!
I wasn't prepared for this and I am taken a back. First off, I would like to thank jhsukow and dbkc for creating a text message group for proper notification of my turn to pick. Couldn't have done it without you two!

I think with the right focus, attitude, and giving midge your phone number, we all can beat 385 seconds.
Truly a giant leap for mankind. Well done.
3/1/2024 5:27 PM
What does he win?
3/1/2024 6:33 PM
thanks for the evals notoriousj....you like my team a whole lot more than i do...cant say ill be as kind to you mwuuhahaha

3/1/2024 6:35 PM
Posted by Midge on 3/1/2024 6:33:00 PM (view original):
What does he win?
24k is a gentleman and a scholar...setting a shining example for us all to follow...he wins our undying gratitude
3/1/2024 6:37 PM
"Maybe I worry too much about trying to keep consistent levels of stats on the floor when starters are out."

i feel your pain tarheel...its why i drafted tyus jones - which rob also disliked
3/1/2024 6:38 PM
Posted by dh555 on 3/1/2024 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Midge on 3/1/2024 6:33:00 PM (view original):
What does he win?
24k is a gentleman and a scholar...setting a shining example for us all to follow...he wins our undying gratitude
I expected more, but I will take it
3/1/2024 9:07 PM
Posted by dh555 on 3/1/2024 6:38:00 PM (view original):
"Maybe I worry too much about trying to keep consistent levels of stats on the floor when starters are out."

i feel your pain tarheel...its why i drafted tyus jones - which rob also disliked
I never really noticed those two most recent Tyus Jones seasons before (maybe because I'm ignoring most Duke guys on principle - although I did draft Boozer, dammit). I didn't think it was possible to have a turnover rate that low (especially for a PG), or a foul rate that low. Nifty little seasons.
3/1/2024 9:31 PM
Posted by ashamael on 3/1/2024 4:29:00 PM (view original):
I feel like I proxied more this draft than any other draft. I don't know how much that helped expedite others' experience this draft, but I lost hours of sleep laboring over lists to do so. I probably will never do that again. I can't do that again.
So dont proxy. Be ready to pick when its your turn. I appreciate u doing what u did. This was one of the smoothest drafts i have been a part of.
3/2/2024 1:24 AM
Posted by jhsukow on 3/1/2024 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Proxy eval from Midge

1. Giannis Antomtomtocompo

Where are the minutes? I know this guy is supposed to be great, but he is about as available as my cardiologist. One thing is for sure, he has a lot of heart. Giannis, me, and Eddy Curry. The three biggest hearts in the sim imo.

2. Shawn Kemp

Just not a serious player. Too concerned with his next double cheeseburger and Coke is coming. Also too showy. Dunk the ball and get back on defense. Everytime you point a finger at someone, you have three more pointing at you I also say. Midge fact. Sometimes fingers are called digits and the digits Kemp puts on the scale are high. If you want to get high, Shawn Kemp is selling cannabis these days.

3. Bill Walton

Bill Walton doesn't play a bunch a minutes, but if you have a minute, check this out. It is a Hardy Boys-style book told from Bill Walton's POV. It can be seen it in an episode of Ted Lasso.

4. Jayson Tatum

Some thing NO ONE is talking about is Jayson Tatum is only 25 years old. Jayson Tatum does NOT have that dog in him, so he is actually a little over 3.5. Possible Giannis backup.

5. Russell Westbrook

Westbrook is a cat. So no one knows how old he is. Some good rebounding seasons.

6. Tree Rollins

Not his actual name. Any guesses? Stumped? I don't remember what is, I bet Rob knows his given name. I'll text him. He plays defense which is something I love to root for. I should branch out and talk about savage. He has one decent rebounding season.

7. Alvin Robertson

This guy plays defense and is a sneaky rebounder. This was a great pick and is what Rob is talking about when he mentions the over-indexing of efg in Savage.

8. Josh Smith

What is the point of Josh Smith? I am sorry, but the efg is too low.

9. Kyle Korver

Great efg. Nice pick

10. Josh Hart

Have you seen his tv show on facebook? It is with Jalen Brunson. Josh Hart thinks he needs to kill TJ McConnell. More Hart than Giannis, me, and Eddy Curry combined.

11. Tom Boerwinkle

They don't make them like this anymore. Big man that can pass and rebound; palling around with flying squirrels to beat the Russians. Great pick.

12. Gary Payton II

I don't like picking Gary Payton in the sim. It is weird that Gary Payton Jr. didn't make the NBA but Gary Payton II did. How do you search for him? I can also never find Johnson. Does anyone else have this problem? Why didn't The Glove name them thing 1 and thing 2?

I'm kidding of course. Sending good energy your way after poking a bit of fun.
This is excellent
3/2/2024 9:33 AM
I’m going to drop these as I chip away over the next few days.

13: Midge – Kareem at 13 is a good value. He’s really dropped the last couple drafts, I assume because more are focusing on the lack of PF eligibility. Fair to do so, but my new metrics have Kareem and Howard pretty close. Howard definitely gives more flexibility with the PF eligibility, but at 13 I think it’s a great pick. Then you had to muck it up with Towns. I like Towns, but Kareem can’t cover him at all. If you think of some of the PF you won’t want to see like Giannis, Malone, AD, Kemp, Howard, Stoudemire, Dirk… those guys will all do pretty well. Hopefully your division is light on PF eligible scorers. If you were keen to go double big I like Capela, Kemp or Chandler here better. But you should have gone Kyrie, Nance, Pippen. Just take the best value.

I like Frazier with Kareem and Towns. They pass enough not to limit you at SG/SF. Great D, solid boards and reasonably clean. Haliburton I do not get. I wouldn’t want to play him next Frazier and if there’s a season or two of Frazier you don’t like that’s awfully early to get a back up. And I think Haliburton is generally a little overrated. His best season has 16.7 TO% and the other seasons he’s a part time pretty efficient PG. I don’t love Ray Allen in general, less with Frazier. I understand wanting to make sure you have the 3’s, but someone who rebounds and/or gets TO’s with the 3’s would like Porter/Covington/Batum might have been better. Cowens is solid and starting to get drafted closer to his value. He won’t wow you anywhere except D and maybe helps with Towns. I like Terry Tyler, just kind of early.

I don’t get where McCray fits in. Maybe he takes some Ray Allen minutes, maybe you have a Haliburton McCray backcourt at times. He’s just ok and I don’t like him at SF. “A tradition unlike any other…. Midge taking Bailey Howell for the 7th straight time by my count”. I think Gerry only drafted Price 5 straight times? (glad to see him back home this time Gerry!). Bailey Howell is fine, but maybe see if you can get him in the 12th instead of the 10th. Maybe no one else appreciates Bailey as much as you and you can grab some other value here. Rasheed is good value here and Torrey Craig is fine for a 12th rounder.

I’ll share a brief draft overview later to give context to each eval, I have Midge in the 15-20 range. I could see closer to 10-12 if a couple teams make a run and Midge has shown the ability to put together 1 or 2 pretty strong teams.

Overall Prediction: 15-20
Individual League Championship O/U: + 750
Savage Title Odds: + 2,000
Draft Grade: C-
Texting me that I’m up while I’m at work or out: A+
3/3/2024 1:39 PM (edited)
Thats a great writeup nice work man
3/2/2024 3:33 PM

9. jcred5 - Rudy Gobert, Larry Nance, Andrei Kirilenko, Clyde Drexler, Dirk Nowitzki, Fat Lever, Donovan Mitchell, Zion Williamson, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Mel Daniels, Gorgui Dieng

- Whats not to love above about Rudy Gobert(in the sim at least) he gives you an immediate advantage on the boards with fantastic dreb and good oreb, great efg and great defense. His usage isn’t even that low compared to some of his counterparts like DJ. With that said I still prefer to have a bit more usage with my pick i personally would’ve gone with Shaq or Kareem. Nance, boom 3 more 100 defense seasons. Nance is a lot of fun, decent efg, passable rebounding for SF and at least 3-4 low tov options. In fact I didn’t realize how many good seasons he had, IMO its not obvious which 5 to choose. You picked him about 12 picks earlier than hes been going in our 22-23 version of savage but i don’t consider that much of reach. Kirilenko, hmm I’m starting to notice a theme. Just looking at all of his seasons gives me a headache. Some with high efg but not 100 D or 06 where everything is fantastic except his TOV and efg. I’m not sure if I like this pick. Good defense is hard to find late so maybe it was smart to load up early but it just feels like there were more efficient offensive options. Ok so I’m assuming Clyde is going to be playing a decent amount of PG. I like that a lot. You finally answered the glaring lack of usage, while improving your team from a possession battle standpoint. His assists are also not terrible for a PG. When I look at the other high usage options available here this pick was definitely the right one. I love Dirk and sandwiching him between 3 100 defenders and a PG who is good on the offensive boards makes me feel like you planned on taking Dirk for a while. Dirk is going to get the line a lot for you and rarely turn it over so is meh EFG isn’t a problem. Dirk is a player who’s fantastic when the pieces fit well around him and you did that to perfection. Fat Lever is clearly always a great pick in savage. If I remember correctly, he could have the highest point total if he was drafted every season. Even by my more modest standards he only has 4 usable season but thats fine in the 6th. The seasons that he does have provide a major possession advantage and should fit well behind Clyde or next to him if need be. Mitchell and Zion both provide one really good season but not much else. I'll be honest, I wasn’t familiar with Al’s game but the low tov and good dreb will make for good enough backup to Dirk. Theo seems to be a fine match Gobert’s backup and Mel Daniels is a walking rebounding advantage for 2 seasons although not much else.

Overall I’m in love with the first 6 picks. I don’t think there are enough 3s but that’ll be fine until playoff season. Mitchell and Zion give you some best season flexibility for your starters but I do worry about your depth. My prediction is top 5 finish, with at least one title but a lack of 3s and depth keeps you from winning your second savage.

3/3/2024 10:16 AM
I'll try to release the other 3 by the end of the day tomorrow. also DH would it be possible to copy paste our reviews onto page 1?
3/3/2024 10:17 AM
14. raggedclaws – Durant is a good selection at 14. I like using 2 seasons at SG and 3 at SF, but there are other options. I have hesitated taking SF early in the past because there’s so much SF value later in the draft. But KD can do it all and I think easy to build around. Whiteside is another good value pick, one of the most productive front court players when on the floor. I’m not a hug fan of Ginobili, but he fits well with this group. Solid in nearly every category and with KD you can often play him at the point.

Jarrett Allen is another good pick that fits well next to Whiteside. Great eFG, solid rebounds and D and a clean player. Horford in the 5th is interesting. Depending on the seasons you like he plays some 3 and 4 and fit with the KD 2 and 3. Or maybe you’re going full KD at the 2 which I don’t love as much, although my 5 favorite Horford seasons are all SF. It’s good to have options too with 7 picks left. Javale and Ed Davis is another great pairing. You need FC minutes with Whiteside and Javale fit nice with him, Ed David is another SF eligible that definitely leans towards lots of KD at the 2.

Calderon is the first pick I don’t like. With KD and Ginobili you have enough 3’s and Calderson shoots pretty well, but not frequently and otherwise he’s a zero. Nit-picking in the 8th and PG is getting thin. I like the Terrell Brandon pick better but understand he doesn’t have as many usable seasons #5 time Savage King robusk. David Lee is a solid SF/PF rebounder who scores efficiently. Two nice value picks to close out in Thomas Bryant and Mirotic.

I really like all but 1 pick, not sure I recall that in the past. Every pick seems to fit well and gives good options for team building. I’ll be curious to see how he uses KD. I believe I finished 3rd with him but I think any of my teams were close to a championship. I recall being generally disappointed in his performance. I put him with Conley, Eddie Jones and Nance most notably and I was frustrated with his SG play and was moving him back and forth between the 2 and 3. I’m pretty sure I used the 16-17, 18-19, 15-16 at SF and then 12-13 and 13-14 at SG. I’m sure you’ll get more out of him than I did with a good chance at getting KD his first Savage season championship.

Overall Prediction: Top 5, probably top 3
Individual League Championship O/U: + 155
Savage Title Odds
: + 500
Draft Grade: A
3/3/2024 1:40 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...31 Next ▸
Savage XIV Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.