BNL #8 Draft - APB! Topic

Posted by ermocito on 3/24/2024 6:56:00 PM (view original):
I think the strikethroughs are up to date. Thank you all for the occasional backchannel when something is incorrect!

I try to update in real time, which means using my phone and the strikethrough feature is rarely offered except when I am at a full size computer.

The list of teams taken (3rd post) is usually the most up to date option (besides reading each pick and keeping track, of course). But I know that the strike throughs are helpful so I am trying to keep caught up on them as well.
Appreciate all of your hard work.
3/24/2024 7:16 PM
seay00 - gets the 1948 Browns

They provide no pitching but do provide good players at 2B and 3B….he already has them there.
3/24/2024 7:30 PM
It was inexcusable on my part not noticing 1968 Washington Senators a few posts above ... And certainly won't offer hints on who to Dagger again

3/24/2024 7:33 PM
Sorry. For some reason, I thought I had overnight. Jonstephens25 gets the 38 White Sox. Why? His 48 Red Sox has good hitting, including Teddy Ballgame aka the Splendid Splinter and I nearly took this team myself. However, there's not much pitching. The 38 White Sox have a couple of ok OFs and a couple of lower salary options too but the pitching is similarly weak. Plus, everyone knows not to mix White and Red Sox in the wash!
3/25/2024 1:21 PM (edited)
Posted by Ribbentrop on 3/24/2024 7:33:00 PM (view original):
It was inexcusable on my part not noticing 1968 Washington Senators a few posts above ... And certainly won't offer hints on who to Dagger again

You are definitely not the first person to assign a team previously picked - I think that happens more than once in both drafts.

Thankfully, we have a lot of people paying close attention so it is usually noticed immediately!

I copied round 3 to the top of the front page. We have a few hours break but the first person is on the clock at 4pm MON.
3/24/2024 8:20 PM
Posted by jonstephen25 on 3/24/2024 7:30:00 PM (view original):
seay00 - gets the 1948 Browns

They provide no pitching but do provide good players at 2B and 3B….he already has them there.
nice one there. the 48 Browns are horrible. well done.
3/24/2024 9:16 PM
C_Burns04: I was down to my last couple of options before I feast my eyes on this special bunch: the 88 Chi town White Sox.

I am happy to gift you this special foundation. Harold Baines is a decent hitter with a cheap price and lots of ABs, but I'll enjoy hitting line drives to him in the field. A young Ozzie Guillen is there if you want to go with fielding at SS, but also a downgrade from Dave Concepcion's bat and Ozzie will cost you 5 mil. No one else on this elite squad has over 600 ABs, and the cheapest backup is $600K. You might need to set up some tents for this platoon city.

For pitching, well, I must say, its superb. A very durable group with no one over 200 IP. A young Bobby Thigpen might be serviceable out of the pen with a very reasonable salary, but I won't mind seeing him late in games. You could go with stacking some of those starters should you decide to keep Seaver as your ace- Melido Perez with an awesome HR ratio. The elder lefty Jerry Reuss to sometimes survive a 5 inning outing. And lastly Black Jack McDowell-- if you can work in some magic tricks with those stats and 160 IP. Hocus pocus. A-la-ka-zam!

Remember, this is just 9 years removed from Disco Demolition night at Comiskey, so things are looking up. You could have a combo magician night with Burt Wonderstone and Steve Gray!
3/24/2024 11:02 PM (edited)
C-Burns - you have no real stars so you get to continue that trend with the 1988 - California Angels

Wally Joyner, Johnny Ray, and Bryan Harvey may help an avg team but not a good one…
3/24/2024 10:43 PM
seay00, I gift you the '78 Indians. They have a decent Andre Thornton at 1B and a few low salary options but not much else. You may have some salary cap options here but not a lot of guys who'll make your team better. Good luck.
3/25/2024 12:59 AM
C_Burns04 gifts jonstephen25 the 1968 Philadelphia Phillies. Enjoy!
3/25/2024 3:44 PM
Posted by ermocito on 3/25/2024 3:44:00 PM (view original):
C_Burns04 gifts jonstephen25 the 1968 Philadelphia Phillies. Enjoy!
Ribbentrop, you should be grateful because those Phils might have been yours if they’d lasted a couple more picks.
3/25/2024 4:18 PM
For jpeterso, I was having a hard time trying to find the perfect compliment-- to his solid hitting group with the first pick of the 38 Red Sox. I was not able to find a completely terrible pitching staff from top-to-bottom. So, the 1948 Philadelphia Phillies will have to be your treasure.

You will have the option of SP Dutch Leonard at a reasonable price, but that's about it wrt your hurlers. I'd rather throw you 1 decent starter than 3 or 4 useable arms. There is some filler there to eat innings if it strikes your fancy. I'll admit I'm not crazy about Ashburn and Ennis as nice OF options, but this roster doesn't have much else to help you, and Ennis is not exactly "eureka" out there to back up your aces on the hill. Oh, you might notice that Ashburn isn't the most durable that year either. They do have a couple cheap bench dudes with a sweet 152 ABs combined. CANNONBALL! Better have some exceptional everyday stamina to take on that frugalness.

I'm hoping I did a better job this season with your gift. And just remember, that.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9tH_GX9oHo
3/25/2024 6:38 PM
Posted by seay00 on 3/25/2024 6:38:00 PM (view original):
For jpeterso, I was having a hard time trying to find the perfect compliment-- to his solid hitting group with the first pick of the 38 Red Sox. I was not able to find a completely terrible pitching staff from top-to-bottom. So, the 1948 Philadelphia Phillies will have to be your treasure.

You will have the option of SP Dutch Leonard at a reasonable price, but that's about it wrt your hurlers. I'd rather throw you 1 decent starter than 3 or 4 useable arms. There is some filler there to eat innings if it strikes your fancy. I'll admit I'm not crazy about Ashburn and Ennis as nice OF options, but this roster doesn't have much else to help you, and Ennis is not exactly "eureka" out there to back up your aces on the hill. Oh, you might notice that Ashburn isn't the most durable that year either. They do have a couple cheap bench dudes with a sweet 152 ABs combined. CANNONBALL! Better have some exceptional everyday stamina to take on that frugalness.

I'm hoping I did a better job this season with your gift. And just remember, that.....

It appears I made it 34 years without seeing or hearing that. I am committed to a longer streak, beginning right now!
3/25/2024 6:59 PM
Posted by ermocito on 3/25/2024 6:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by seay00 on 3/25/2024 6:38:00 PM (view original):

It appears I made it 34 years without seeing or hearing that. I am committed to a longer streak, beginning right now!
Yeah, that should have come with a content warning.
3/25/2024 7:24 PM
thanks seay00. I just threw up a little in my mouth.
3/25/2024 10:23 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...26 Next ▸
BNL #8 Draft - APB! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.