Developer Q&A - Answers Provided Topic

Q: Any plans to update how baseline prestige is calculated, particularly for DI?
A: We have no plans to update baseline prestige at this time, though it is something we would consider in the future.

Q: Any plans to change the red stamina decreasing each season?
A: We are looking into why effort towards stamina tends to go negative in low potential players.

Q: How are assists determined? Are they causal (i.e., a good pass results in a basket) or reflective (i.e., a player made a pass and then a basket happened)?
A: Assist are determined using a weighted RNG system, where the weights are loosely based on the actual assists per min for each position in the NBA, along with each players’ relevant attributes.

Q: Are there plans to fix EarlyEntry at the D1 level?
A: We are aware of the EarlyEntry issues, and plan to release a fix in Q2.

Q: Any changes to RS2 in general or to recruit generation?
A: We released a series of updates around recruiting in Q1, and we will keep an eye open for new ways to improve.

Q: Will HD change promises to last more than one season, which may increase transfers and make RS2 more useful and broaden the player pool?
A: Extending the effect of promises is something we will consider, but it is not in our plans for the near future.

Q: In the game-planning tips, it says that spd/per/bh/iq are the factors that determine 3-point success. is this necessarily saying that ath doesn't impact 3-point success?
A: Speed, Perimeter, and BallHandling are factors that determine if a player will attempt a 3-pointer over a fg. Perimeter, BallHandling, Athleticism, and IQ are the factors that will determine if they make it.

Q: It was recently mentioned on the discord that rebounding ability is of equal value regardless of position. is there more nuance to it than that?
A: While a player’s attributes have the largest effect on their rebound ability, their natural position also affects their rebounds. PF and C have the best chances, followed by SF, followed by PG and SG.

Q: Are there factors that impact the likelihood of a recruit leaving early other than position on the big board, awards, and the cap on total departures?
A: The player’s class is another factor in the decision for Early Entry. After that it comes down to RNG.

Q: Is there value to passing outside of the PG position and does it vary by scheme?
A: Passing helps all players avoid turnovers in the back court, and will be useful against a Full Court defense.

Q: Is there a different offensive formula for every position? In other words, if a player is a good 3-pt shooter at the SG position, would that quality 3-pt shooting transfer 100% to each of the other positions? Same question for LP scorers.
A: There in one scenario where the formulas are different, based on position. That is when a player is taking a shot in the paint while covered. PF and C have formulas that make heavy use of their LowPost and Athleticism ratings, while other positions have less weight to those attributes, and have Speed and BallHandling included in their formulas. All other scenarios use the same formulas for their shots.

Q: How much if at all does Perimeter rating impact two point field goal percentage?
A: Perimeter plays a large role in mid-range field goals. Especially if the player I open. Inside the paint it has no effect.

Q: Are there any considerations going on to bring an influx of new players? The best idea I've seen is to open up D3 as a free to play option requiring a subscription for the D2 and D1 level. Would you ever consider this?
A: We are always trying to come up with ideas to bring in new players. The idea you mentioned is actively being discussed, though we are more focused on trying to update software at the moment.

Q: Any consideration on porting the game to mobile?
A: We would love to have a mobile app, or progressive web app, however that will require major updates to the entire WhatIfSports core software. It is something we want, but not something we can produce in the near future.

Q: Can you give us a rough estimate of how much an AP is worth compared to a HV?
A: It takes roughly 50 AP to build the same amount of interest per cycle as a Home Visit.

Q: Does SIMAI get credit for longtime coach in the recruiting preference?
A: No, the AI does not get longtime coach bonuses.

Q: Is there a cap to IQ? does it reach "100" and stop or just keep going? Also how important is IQ on how a player performs?
A: IQ caps at 100, and plays a small part in multiple performance indexes. This includes maintaining possession, stealing, passing, avoiding fouls, bloacking shots, and more.

Q: Any plans to bring out the job change update mentioned years ago that was never released?
A: We are currently not planning on releasing the update, but we do have the code saved, and it will be up for discussion in the future.

Q: What impact does tiredness have on ratings in-game? In other words, if a player listed as "fresh" gets use of 100% of his ratings, what % do they get when listed as "fairly fresh", "tiring", and "tired"?
A: It would be difficult to give an exact % of ratings loss from fatigue, as the value is used differently in various situations. I can say that once a player’s condition drops to “Getting Tired” a drop in performance will be noticeable.

Q: Assuming all recruits sign at the same time, what determines who signs first?
A: They will sign by RecruitID in ascending order.

Q: How much does listed high school GPA and/or work ethic impact OFF/DEF IQ growth?
A: A player with a 4.0 GPA will have a multiplier roughly 14% higher than a player with a 3.0 GPA. A player with 100 work ethic will have a multiplier roughly 19% higher than a player with 50 work ethic. These factors are multiplicative, and there are other factors as well, so it is difficult to give a hard number on the impact these factors have.

Q: Are there any factors built into the game engine that resemble momentum, whether it occurs over the course of a game or a season? Or is each play truly simulated in a vacuum?
A: There is no momentum modifier used by the engine.

3/11/2024 9:41 AM
about Question #4 - I wonder what Early Entry Issues they plan to fix?
3/11/2024 11:58 AM
A cynical reading of the answer on assist generation might suggest that assists are window dressing. Is there causation between having good passers on the court and higher-percentage shot-making, as could be observed in real basketball?
3/11/2024 12:26 PM
very interesting -- thanks for sharing this
3/11/2024 12:36 PM
Posted by metsmax on 3/11/2024 11:58:00 AM (view original):
about Question #4 - I wonder what Early Entry Issues they plan to fix?
i am also curious about that one
3/11/2024 12:49 PM
it has been said in the past that assists are cosmetic only - But i dont know
3/11/2024 1:30 PM
The what determines 3PA and what determines 3pt% are VERY useful tidbits of info. I feel like maybe TOO much info in the hands of us users. All of these are great! Thanks for the awesome answers!
3/11/2024 3:22 PM
Nice thanks for sharing
3/11/2024 9:56 PM
Question 7 (3-point attempts) just blew my mind on shooting. Completely changes the way I've been looking at it and recruiting it. The GPA/WE question was also very interesting to know GPA does in fact have an impact.
3/12/2024 1:09 AM
Thanks for doing this. I can appreciate that some larger scale changes take time but it would seem that there are some base changes that could be made (i.e. incorporating advanced stats) to improve user experience.
3/12/2024 6:49 AM
Q: In the game-planning tips, it says that spd/per/bh/iq are the factors that determine 3-point success. is this necessarily saying that ath doesn't impact 3-point success?
A:
Speed, Perimeter, and BallHandling are factors that determine if a player will attempt a 3-pointer over a fg.
Perimeter, BallHandling, Athleticism, and IQ are the factors that will determine if they make it.

Time to find a super slow guard with high PER and BH, jack up his distro and set him at +2.

3/12/2024 8:38 AM
Q: It was recently mentioned on the discord that rebounding ability is of equal value regardless of position. is there more nuance to it than that?
A: While a player’s attributes have the largest effect on their rebound ability, their natural position also affects their rebounds. PF and C have the best chances, followed by SF, followed by PG and SG.

Is 'natural position' their current position on the depth chart, or the position on the player profile?
3/12/2024 11:42 AM
I think natural position is something the game determines based on ratings. Much as a player can now and then have a jump up or down in the EE chart if his ratings move him to a different "natural position". I dont think it is his label or his spot on depth
3/12/2024 1:29 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/12/2024 8:38:00 AM (view original):
A:
Speed, Perimeter, and BallHandling are factors that determine if a player will attempt a 3-pointer over a fg.
Perimeter, BallHandling, Athleticism, and IQ are the factors that will determine if they make it.

Time to find a super slow guard with high PER and BH, jack up his distro and set him at +2.

don't forget about ath, i submitted this question primarily bc of the success i've seen from high ath / low spd guards over the years on my CSU team. several of them were also low bh. this player is a pretty good example: john beede
3/13/2024 11:24 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/12/2024 8:38:00 AM (view original):
A:

This is exactly what I started thinking. I've been running on the idea that SPD mattered in the success of the shot based on what the tips worded since the beginning, but if all it means is more attempts, I don't need that. I thought SPD was supposed to impact steals also. Maybe I'm wrong here, or maybe it's never mattered?
3/18/2024 1:35 PM
12 Next ▸
Developer Q&A - Answers Provided Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.