When to start a rebuild? Topic

Is there a specific point in a franchise history where it makes sense to start a complete rebuild? I have a franchise that I have had for a while (over 15 seasons). Have had some moderate success, just not been able to get over the hump and most of that is my fault with some bad decisions. But now my team is definitely not a playoff team, in my opinion, and my minors are not coming to save me anytime soon. Would it be a good time to start a rebuild? Have some decent pieces to deal that could get me some prospects and picking at the top of the amateur draft could only help.
3/11/2024 11:12 AM
You're committed long term, you've been sticking with the same team for awhile, now you feel like your current players have no next step to take. And maybe you're even getting a little bored with the game because of it. Sometimes the most fun you can have IS a rebuild.

Make some trades. Try things you haven't done in awhile. Strategize differently. Try a few players who wouldn't crack your current going-nowhere roster of veterans. Sign new players.

I always say if you're not winning a championship, the next most fun you can have is seeing if moves you make work out.

3/11/2024 11:31 AM
I'm a replacement owner in one of my worlds. I took it over blindly without knowing anything at all about the team. Upon logging in, I found myself just past the amateur draft, minors in shambles with 3 teams heavily zero'd on pitching fatigue, .280 BigLeaue win % and a 6.58 team ERA in the bigs.

time for a rebuild? NO

fixing the minors familiarized myself with any talent. Hit the FA market and upgraded anywhere possible wih immed signings. Started shopping trades with expendible youth. hit the wire hard. Now a month later in real time, I have replaced 12 of 13 pitchers, primarily via trades. I've gotten 3 positional veterans in final yr of fat contracts off the wire and I'm currently 8-7 in my last 15 games currently on a 3 gm win streak.

My mantra for HBD has always been and will always be - get into the playoffs with 3 respectable SP's and a few solid relievers. Anything can happen from there.
3/11/2024 5:48 PM
It depends on where your team is and how it relates to your division. From the sound of it, you might be able to retool instead of rebuild. By that, I mean, you sacrifice one season by trading away a couple of key players, but in return you get young players on the cusp of breaking into the majors. Also, take a chance in the Rule 5 draft as you retool. You can find players who can be pretty good for your team (All-Star quality?) if you do your homework. In the next season, you will have the budget room to pursue some top free agents to go along with the young talent you acquired and you are back in contention in the division or, at least, a wild card. A full-blown rebuild is where you strip it down to the bolts and try to build it back up. That is committing multiple seasons to rebuilding.
3/12/2024 12:24 AM
Posted by Shalacc1967 on 3/11/2024 5:48:00 PM (view original):
I'm a replacement owner in one of my worlds. I took it over blindly without knowing anything at all about the team. Upon logging in, I found myself just past the amateur draft, minors in shambles with 3 teams heavily zero'd on pitching fatigue, .280 BigLeaue win % and a 6.58 team ERA in the bigs.

time for a rebuild? NO

fixing the minors familiarized myself with any talent. Hit the FA market and upgraded anywhere possible wih immed signings. Started shopping trades with expendible youth. hit the wire hard. Now a month later in real time, I have replaced 12 of 13 pitchers, primarily via trades. I've gotten 3 positional veterans in final yr of fat contracts off the wire and I'm currently 8-7 in my last 15 games currently on a 3 gm win streak.

My mantra for HBD has always been and will always be - get into the playoffs with 3 respectable SP's and a few solid relievers. Anything can happen from there.
I'm usually of this mentality too but with 25 players on each roster I find there is a time when age will tell you that its time for a rebuild. With my SD team we had a great run, tried to get into the playoffs for the last couple of seasons, and this season despite moves and free agency we are falling off a cliff. Still going to try to win every game but it seems like 70-75 wins is going to be the range.
3/14/2024 11:28 AM
When to start a rebuild? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.