Is 100% for pitcher all the same? Topic

Not sure exactly how to word this but if my ace pitcher can get to 100% on 3 days rest does he benefit at all from that 4th day rest or should I throw him out there as often as I can as long as he's 100%?
3/11/2024 12:33 PM
Will his effectiveness be the same? - I don't know

But anecdotally I've noticed that giving him the extra day rest should help him recuperate from his next start better. If you run him on 3 day rest he may still get back to 100% for a few starts in a row, but my strong opinion is he'll eventually needs a fifth day to get back to 100%.
3/11/2024 2:24 PM
Here is a larger explanation:

Let's say you have an RP with Dur/Stam ratings of 65/25. The RP does not pitch for several games so he is fully rested. He then comes into a game and throws 20 pitches. After that game he still shows 100 fatigue level. He then throws another 20 pitches in the very next game. After this second game his fatigue level will show something like 45(100). Both games he was showing 100 fatigue level at the start and both games he throws the same number of pitches but after the second game his fatigue level was not the same as after the first game. What does that tell us? It tells us that all 100 fatigue ratings are not the same. There has to be a behind the scenes true fatigue level that we do not see.

As for effectiveness.... If you have paid attention to the details of pitcher's results you will have seen that, as a general rule, a pitcher entering a game at say 25% fatigue level will not be as effective as he will be when he enters a game at 100 fatigue level. Based on this, I believe that for effectiveness all 100 fatigue levels are equal regardless of what the true background fatigue level is. No way to compile hard data to back that up like one can with my fatigue example above though.

I used an RP in my example but basic thinking should transfer to SPs as well. I have seen in other posts where owners claimed their SPs seemed to pitch better with an extra day of rest but there again, it would be hard and time consuming to compile actual data to back that claim up.

3/11/2024 2:52 PM
Great info! Thanks guys.
3/11/2024 2:54 PM
Echoing dyoungquist, the extra day at 100 helps. You will get a little bit of full effectiveness if a starter is at 100 the game before he starts, rather than achieving 100 on the day of his start. Also, going from 95 to 100 on the final day will be better than 85 to 100.
3/12/2024 12:30 AM
I’m just going to leave this dev chat Q&A here which gives the answer

Does pitching fatigue now use total pitches per season at all? I have noticed that starting pitchers every time they get to 100% leads to bad performance as if there were being overused. And that this gets better if the pitchers are rested. Are all 100%s not equal? Is there is hidden factor? Total pitches, starts, or anything else? (baldric - Hall of Famer - 1:07 PM)

No, there is no such thing as "total pitches per season" in HBD like there is in SLB. In HBD, a pitch tank system is used. The depth of the tank is based on their stamina/durability ratings. It's adjusted based on usage. All 100% are handled the same, nothing hidden under that number.

3/12/2024 12:50 AM
Posted by broadwayevns on 3/12/2024 12:50:00 AM (view original):
I’m just going to leave this dev chat Q&A here which gives the answer

Does pitching fatigue now use total pitches per season at all? I have noticed that starting pitchers every time they get to 100% leads to bad performance as if there were being overused. And that this gets better if the pitchers are rested. Are all 100%s not equal? Is there is hidden factor? Total pitches, starts, or anything else? (baldric - Hall of Famer - 1:07 PM)

No, there is no such thing as "total pitches per season" in HBD like there is in SLB. In HBD, a pitch tank system is used. The depth of the tank is based on their stamina/durability ratings. It's adjusted based on usage. All 100% are handled the same, nothing hidden under that number.

Interesting! So the dev is saying a pitcher has a tank of effective pitches based on their stamina and that their durability determines how fast that tank is replenished but once the tank is full it's full...

Gonna try and pay more attention to this this season and see what I can spot antidotally.
3/12/2024 10:25 AM
Is 100% for pitcher all the same? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.