Hey all. First this isn't just about the Stagg world, but since I decided to stay after reading about the Discord channel and the GD community possible getting more active again, I said why not. I'll admit, even though I had some success recently, the recruiting classes that remain after that make up all of my current roster were all recruited late in the signing period, last day or two of recruiting. It also isn't constructed how I was planning it, so staying is kind of mini-rebuilding again just from a higher level than when I first took over. This was due to being busy in real life, taking up two Hoops Dynasty rebuild teams and just maybe some GD burnout too.

Anyway, all that said, with the chance of a more lively GD community and the game maybe lasting a little longer, I stayed. I read the post where maybe the group should start with a world to all be a part of, and I thought with new coach signups opening up soon, and the low numbers in Stagg right now, why not try? There are plenty of sleeping potential powerhouse programs available at every level, so that could maybe attract some people. I am going to focus on D3 for now though.

When I first played this game in the later 2000's under Hawkeyes2009, I played in Warner at Muskingum College before leaving in like 2011ish and just coming back in the last couple of years, in the days when the worlds all had triple digit human coaches at D3, and like only three of us (me being one) passed at all lol. If you rebuilt a team from scratch, it took a while to make the playoffs sometimes. Back to the main point, so in Warner, there was a guy, tangocbear or something like that, who for a while did a preseason top 25, which was both fantastic and hilarious. It was an added bonus, kind of how GUESS and thenextguess are, but in a different way. So I had the thought of doing something similar at D3 (sorry I don't have the daily time right to dive into the extra level of detail needed at D2 and above) but if enough people join, I would consider doing a preseason preview. I am thinking 20% of the human users so 25 humans = top 5, 50 = top 10, but no more than a top 25. I might regret a top 25, but not too concerned about that at the moment, we'll see if it can get to a top 5 or 10 first, haha. I understand some of you might think that this is redundant since thenextguess basically tells us that in their rankings, but this is different. The way the previous guy did it, he talked about the players like they were real people and gave a preview of each team for examples. I thought it was awesome, while at the same time funny as sh*t giving a nerdy simulation game a more realistic feel, if that makes sense? If anyone who was around back then is still here, I think they would have a similar opinion...or maybe tango is still around?

I would have put this out sooner, as new coach signup has already started, but I only renewed my Earlham team a couple of days ago. Maybe if we can get the word out to the active coaches, and also some of the former coaches who are inactive, we can get some interest between the Discord site and things like this. I know some of you have each other's contact info, spread the word if interested. For my part, I am not promising it will be to the creative level of the previous poll I mentioned, they went above and beyond, but something to try out to see if it has any interest.

And if there is no interest, no big deal either...more time for me to do real life. I don't know any of you "nerds" anyway. ;)
3/15/2024 12:20 PM
There's now 6 coaches in the SCAC in Stagg. It's a start anyway.
3/15/2024 9:30 PM
Fond recollection of Stagg: Won my very first NC there . Beloit in D3.
3/16/2024 12:23 AM
Looks like nine new D3 coaches so far, not bad considering we had a late start on getting the word out and it being St Patty's Day weekend with a lot of college basketball going on. Hopefully we can build on it next season.

Also Mojo, Beloit is open and rated top 10 preseason, just saying....

3/17/2024 8:06 PM
Hey, following up here...

It was kind of short-notice/bad timing on doing a pre-season poll before this Stagg season, with St Patty's Day and March Madness and being busy at work in-between. I plan on doing a playoff breakdown preview instead this season. Then next season, I will do at least a top five preseason poll, and if we get more to join, it will be more teams included.

Thanks to those of you who joined with less than two days notice, hopefully we can get more to come to Stagg again next season to make it more enjoyable and competitive!
4/3/2024 4:29 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.