Ohtani Gambling Scandal Topic

Posted by italyprof on 3/23/2024 11:24:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, the first problem is how Mizuhara could run up $4.5 million of Ohtani's money in debt. Why would an illegal bookie think he was good for that much money unless he had some guarantee that Ohtani and his money were backing up his friend.

Second problem is that the two of them are together 24/7. He is not just an interpreter they practice together, eat together, etc.

So how could Ohtani not know his money was missing or thst his friend was gambling.

Third problem is that Mizuhara was always in the Angels' locker room interpreting, so he had insider info.

Fourth, I have no doubt that the Dodgers and MLB want to cover for any involvement by Ohtani, but this is an FBI investigation. Ohtani sent two bank transfer payments for half a million each to an illegal bookie.
Agreed
3/23/2024 12:27 PM
Ohtani denies any gambling.

meanwhile

Mizuhara‘s resume includes a college he never attended, and stints with the Bosox and Braves that never happened. So at least we know he is not on the up & up!
3/25/2024 7:35 PM
Posted by fatguyrd on 3/25/2024 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Ohtani denies any gambling.

meanwhile

Mizuhara‘s resume includes a college he never attended, and stints with the Bosox and Braves that never happened. So at least we know he is not on the up & up!
But I bet that Ohtani knew that his resume was ridiculous. It seems like they are Frick and Frack.
3/25/2024 8:39 PM
I think that this guy's analysis of at least how this has been handled makes a lot of sense:

https://www.youtube.com/live/-19t592NnSA?si=Ss0yU_SUoo_74ShU

3/27/2024 5:43 AM
Posted by rbow923 on 3/31/2024 12:37:00 AM (view original):
They don't need proof that you threw games to be convicted. All they need is that somebody who knows you gambled like millions of people do and even though you played your heart out there are unfounded allegations that maybe just maybe you dogged it because helping a friend out with a few pennies you were too broke(?) to give him yourself was more important than the game you love and that pays you millions of dollars along with fame and adoration. Yeah, right. MLB has lost its friggin mind. If he goes back to Japan then baseball idiots get what they deserve.
No. Of course they require proof. Pete Rose for example was extensively investigated. It took a long time and a lot of people were interviewed and there was forensic criminal analysis standards. Although he denied it for a long time Rose eventually admitted gambling on baseball games because the evidence deduced was overwhelming and he knew it.

I see no rush to judgement on this thing in MLB or even the media. There has been NO rush to judgement.
If anything Othoi has been handed only a scintilla of doubt by most people. If you are saying that there is a witch hunt you would be wrong. Me, I am very cynical and I think there was a massive amount of stupidity and a transparent cover up.

ps. Not being sardonic but it is much easier to read individual sentences and separate paragraphs.

And players gambling on their own sport is a potentially fatal attack on the integrity and life of the sport.
It is bad enough that people already think that wrestling is fake.
3/31/2024 11:47 AM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The Federal Indictment indicates that Mizzuhara controlled Ohtani’s signature and accounts since it was first established, and didn’t use it to gamble until 2021. He is charged with stealing 16 mil to illegal gambling.

It concludes Ohtani is innocent
4/13/2024 9:44 AM
George Strait. Baseball can breathe ez eh?
4/13/2024 11:41 AM
Posted by fatguyrd on 4/13/2024 9:44:00 AM (view original):
The Federal Indictment indicates that Mizzuhara controlled Ohtani’s signature and accounts since it was first established, and didn’t use it to gamble until 2021. He is charged with stealing 16 mil to illegal gambling.

Thanks for the post. I’m glad that their investigation has yielded nothing against Ohtani.
But I do not understand how a player whose importance is of such magnitude and who does not speak English is not professionally monitored and assisted especially in financial areas And where is the agent in all of this. Isn’t he supposed to be overlooking and protecting his client?
4/13/2024 2:18 PM
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 4/13/2024 2:18:00 PM (view original):

Thanks for the post. I’m glad that their investigation has yielded nothing against Ohtani.
But I do not understand how a player whose importance is of such magnitude and who does not speak English is not professionally monitored and assisted especially in financial areas And where is the agent in all of this. Isn’t he supposed to be overlooking and protecting his client?
His agent doesn't speak Japanese

The complaint also contains this:

'h. Agent 1 was aware of the x5848 Account and asked MIZUHARA on multiple occasions about the account. MIZUHARA told Agent 1 that the x5848 Account was “private” and that Victim A did not want anyone else to monitor that account. Agent 1 stated that he did not confirm these representations directly with Victim A, but stated that he had no reason not to believe MIZUHARA.'

4/13/2024 4:24 PM
Posted by akira_hokuto on 4/13/2024 4:24:00 PM (view original):

'h. Agent 1 was aware of the x5848 Account and asked MIZUHARA on multiple occasions about the account. MIZUHARA told Agent 1 that the x5848 Account was “private” and that Victim A did not want anyone else to monitor that account. Agent 1 stated that he did not confirm these representations directly with Victim A, but stated that he had no reason not to believe MIZUHARA.'

Thanks for the info. Dumb agent. He obviously was tremendous in negotiating but did not follow up as he should have. The agent should have employed someone who spoke Japanese or had a trusted translator on call. He also should have had authorization to monitor the financial accounts.

So much to understand and marvel at the 3 stoogery.
4/13/2024 7:34 PM
Posted by Lennybruce26 on 4/13/2024 7:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by akira_hokuto on 4/13/2024 4:24:00 PM (view original):

Thanks for the info. Dumb agent. He obviously was tremendous in negotiating but did not follow up as he should have. The agent should have employed someone who spoke Japanese or had a trusted translator on call. He also should have had authorization to monitor the financial accounts.

So much to understand and marvel at the 3 stoogery.
I mean sure and he did monitor multiple accounts it was only this one account that he did not. I think the other thing that is being missed is people keep referring to him as Ohtani's interpreter, but while that was his MLB role the complaint also contains this information:

'In addition, Victim A separately employed MIZUHARA to act as a de facto manager and assistant for Victim A. In this capacity, MIZUHARA would drive Victim A, handle daily tasks for Victim A, and translate and manage certain of Victim A’s business and personal matters outside of MLB.'

I think that changes the equation some and makes the agents behavior and the multiple other people that Mizuhara told that the account was private, and Ohtani didn't want anybody monitoring it more understandable.

Really read the complaint it makes for some fascinating reading
4/13/2024 9:56 PM
I still do believe that the agent was negligent. Very very surely his benefit has been far greater then this detriment that I think he bears some responsibility for. But the hairs on the back of his neck should have been standing up when he was told by an unqualified amateur Colonial Tom Parker that would not have access to an account.

He should have been suspicious or at least cautiously curious and he should have reached out to his client.
These agents are very smart people and are very insightful when it comes to dynamics and he was passive and ceded one of his important roles to the so called manager.

The agent is certainly not a culprit but he was negligent.
I think MLB and the Dodgers and the agent and Ohtani have all learned a lesson.
4/14/2024 2:01 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Ohtani Gambling Scandal Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.