Questions for Progressive League Commissioners Topic

Posted by JAMESA on 3/30/2024 11:35:00 PM (view original):
Q9 (other) - I have had this happen more than once. In each case I've first asked the 2 teams involved in trade #2 if they can work something else out. Every one of the cases have been worked out this way. I've had them bump it to a 2nd round pick and also 3rd round of next season.
I selected other and do the same. I sitemail both owners involved and give option or renegotiation or reversal of trade
3/31/2024 1:03 PM
Posted by fatguyrd on 3/31/2024 11:58:00 AM (view original):
7 We don’t have keeper list. You get your franchised roster for that season + 10 other non keepers to draft and use for one season.
Ok, I should probably have included “Not applicable” as an option for some of these. This isn’t really what I had in mind as “other.” I appreciate the clarification!
3/31/2024 1:11 PM
The league I run the draft order is in reverse order of keeper salary and theres an evenly weighted lottery for the first six picks in the draft. Exactly 15 keepers so many questions N/A.

I misread Q7, its the third option the error has to be noticed immediately or the team who took the guy gets him.

In the event someone leaves a team in shambles, I would not give any supplemental draft picks. Depending on how bad the situation is, I'd either advertise as is with a warning label, or take it on myself until the roster was a bit better.
3/31/2024 3:23 PM
Same as GSP, if a team is left in shambles, I’ll either advertise as such, or run it myself for a year or two.

3/31/2024 4:03 PM
#1: The Jubilee progressive returns your roster to match its real-life counterpart every 7 seasons. For drafts in-between, the draft order is determined by the real-life records of the teams.

#7/8: The bottom line is that it's the responsibility of each owner to make sure their keepers are not on the available list. The commissioner can't be held responsible to never make any mistakes when setting up a draft for a whole league's worth of teams. Other teams who built their draft strategy around getting a certain player shouldn't be penalized for someone else's error either.

#9/10: I've only seen this happen and get caught very shortly after the mistake happened. If the season completed and it hadn't been caught, I would encourage the two teams to work out a deal. If they couldn't come to a quick resolution, I'd probably say the Boston team would instead trade their 2nd pick to New York. That's kind of a built-in penalty since they're losing a higher draft pick than intended.
3/31/2024 4:37 PM (edited)

My League carries 30 man Rosters. But I don't separate the Last 5 players as AAA Players. Each Team Drafts 30 players and then puts there worst 5 players in there AAA Spots. (There Choice) So, everyone would draft a Total of 30 Spots.

If any Owner Trades the their #3 Pick twice. Whoever the First Trade that Traded for the 3rd rd Pick would then now Move up and Claim the #2 Pick or recieve the Offending Teams 2nd rd pick. So that would make the offending Team Drafting 2 spots Later in the Draft in a row. Or if the Player that the receiving Team would then also would have the option of Canceling the Trade all together if they decided to and wasn't Happy.

If a Player was on the availables Player List to be Drafted. Keeper or Not. I Ask all owners to Check for Errors. As a Commissioner of a League. I can make a Mistake just anyone else. So, If they check for Errors. They can see the Mistake and have it Corrected. Everyone could reclaim their Player before Rd#1 was Completed. After Rd#1 was Completed, All Players would be available and be Free Game to be Drafted again. Doesn't matter if it was the Commissioners error or the Owners error. The Player was the Property of the New Drafting Team.

3/31/2024 7:34 PM
FWIW, my answers to the questions are:
1) I have used both (c) equally-weighted lottery of all non-playoff teams and (e) equally-weighted lottery of all teams. In general, I prefer (e).
2.) A
3.) C - I really think this is the most logical was to handle it.
4.) A - absolutely not a problem; I've had multiple debates on this with others and it seems to be an issue where neither side can be convinced otherwise.
5.) A
6.) A - if I can't find someone to take the team, I will run it until a new owner is found
7.) A
8.) A
9.) I can only recall this happening once, and I went with option B. I think I prefer the option, stated by others above, of asking the owners involved in the 2nd trade to work something out.
10.) B, but this was because I went with option B in question 9. If the owners can work it out, then I think no penalty would be assessed.
4/1/2024 6:55 AM
1. If I am remembering correctly, when I ran the Space Age League, we used the cumulative 5-season W-L record to determine draft order, with the weakest team over 5 seasons getting the first pick and so on down, with the idea that while people might tank, no one would find it fun to tank for five whole seasons. I forget what we did for the first four seasons though.

2. I think Space Age used 35- man rosters, so the number of picks needed to fill that number, with IR/DL players not counting against the total.

3. Boston gets a third round pick, Chicago no longer gets its 8th round.

4. The "Not a problem" answer.

5. I guess in the end none, it's part of being in a progressive. But when you take over a team that was tanked by the previous owner it is a drag.

6. Mostly the same answer as above..but if the commissioner is convinced that the draft picks were purposely traded away as part of an intentional tanking and/or way of punishing a league the previous owner knew they were leaving, the commissioner should have the discretion to add a maximum of two additional draft picks in rounds where the picks were traded way, ideally at the end of the round, without the teams acquiring the picks losing out in any way.

7. Chicago gets the player.

8. If Boston notices the error during the draft they can keep the player, but only if it is before the end of the round. Boston will obviously need an additional pick (not in that round, but after their already scheduled picks) to complete their roster.

9. Tough one. Reverse the second trade I think.

10.I think Boston forfeits their third round pick in the following year's draft.

4/3/2024 4:56 PM
I run 2 Progressives that aren't much like any others.
One uses a random draft order for the non-playoff teams 1-12, and the 4 playoff teams draft 13-16 based on their W/L records, Worst 13th to Best 16th.
This league Keepers/Cuts aren't due until after the draft thus allowing everyone to see who they get in the draft before making Cuts. Then an Add/Drop follows for anyone who wants to pick up a player that was Dropped.
The other has a weighted lottery but opposite of most, with the 1st place teams getting 4 chances, 2nd place teams get 3, 3rd place teams get 2, and 4th place teams get 1. Then it is serpentine each round. This is to encourage No tanking. No player versions above $7M are allowed so variablility of player quality isn't that great, decreasing the value of picking first verses last. Keepers/Cuts are due at seasons end and you only get enough picks to fill your vacancies due to Cuts.
4/3/2024 5:06 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 12
Questions for Progressive League Commissioners Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.