Round 1 Themes, 2024 Topic

2024 WIS Championship - Round 1 Themes

All leagues will have:
  1. No Waiver Wire
  2. No AAA
  3. No Trades
  4. Random Division Alignment (except $70M theme)
  5. Injuries ON
  6. No restrictions on split season players (can use either combined or partial, except $70M theme)
  7. No 300k exception (except $70M theme)
  8. Team name requirements (see individual themes, as some have them)
4/7/2024 7:31 PM (edited)
$70 Million - Swap 2
Pick any real-life team. Add one free-agent pitcher and one free-agent hitter from the same season. The other players must be full/partial seasons from your selected team (or 300K exceptions - see below).

Seasons: All (Full/Partial only)
DH: No
Clones: No
Ballpark: Use the one your team called home (or What-If Park if it’s not available)
Alignment: Chronological (Earliest teams in the NL East, most current in the AL West; tiebreaker is the salary of your pitching free agent)
300K exceptions: You can use players from any team from your chosen season who cost $300K or less to fill out any needed roster spots or replace players you can't afford to roster.
Team name: Please include your selected team as part of your team name.
4/7/2024 7:31 PM (edited)
$70M Q&A

Q: For 70m, can our bonus players be combined seasons?
A: Yes, your free agents can use combined seasons.
4/9/2024 12:22 PM (edited)
$80 Million - Run, Forrest, Run
You must draft at least 300 stolen bases on your roster (using real-life totals, as shown in the Draft Center). No catcher arm can be better than D+.

Seasons: 1944 (Forrest Gump’s birth year)-2023
Ballpark: Any
Alignment: Random
4/4/2024 2:34 PM (edited)
$80M Q&A:

Q: I assume this means that if a player has played even one game at Catcher, they are ineligible if the arm rating is > D+ (even if they played another position as their primary position).
A: That is correct. Because otherwise, he'd just get used as the everyday C more than likely.
4/4/2024 5:19 PM (edited)
$100 Million - 12 Boxes
To build your roster, choose one player from each of the 12 boxes and one player from each of the 12 rows (i.e., you must draft one player each from the rows OF1, OF2 & OF3, not two players from OF1). Then use one teammate from each of your 12 players from the season you select for them. Your 25th player will be a second teammate from one of your players. (None of your teammates may be a player that appears in any of the boxes).

(In Round 2, you will have to use different players from every box to build a 120M team. This restriction will not apply to teammates.)

Seasons: 1920-1980
Ballpark: Choose the home park of any of your 12 selected players
Pos Box 1 Box 2 Box 3 Box 4 Box 5 Box 6
C Torre, Joe Bench, Johnny Campanella, Roy Dickey, Bill Cochrane, Mickey Hartnett, Gabby
1B Gehrig, Lou Foxx, Jimmie Greenberg, Hank McCovey, Willie Mize, Johnny Sisler, George
2B Hornsby, Rogers Morgan, Joe Carew, Rod Robinson, Jackie Gehringer, Charlie Collins, Eddie
3B Brett, George Allen, Dick Mathews, Eddie Rosen, Al Schmidt, Mike Santo, Ron
SS Vaughan, Arky Boudreau, Lou Banks, Ernie Appling, Luke Cronin, Joe Stephens, Vern
OF1 Ruth, Babe Williams, Ted Musial, Stan Klein, Chuck Speaker, Tris Yastrzemski, Carl
OF2 Dimaggio, Joe Mays, Willie Simmons, Al Heilmann, Harry Aaron, Hank Wilson, Hack
OF3 Mantle, Mickey Rose, Pete Singleton, Ken Smith, Reggie Cullenbine, Roy White, Roy
RHP1 Vance, Dazzy Feller, Bob Wyatt, Whit Chandler, Spud Cooper, Mort Luque, Dolf
RHP2 Sutton, Don Gibson, Bob Marichal, Juan Tiant, Luis Horlen, Joe Chance, Dean
LHP1 Hubbell, Carl Spahn, Warren Brecheen, Harry Grove, Lefty Newhouser, Hal Gomez, Lefty
LHP2 Koufax, Sandy Guidry, Ron Blue, Vida Carlton, Steve Cuellar, Mike McNally, Dave
Pos Box 7 Box 8 Box 9 Box 10 Box 11 Box 12
C Simmons, Ted Berra, Yogi Howard, Elston Fisk, Carlton Freehan, Bill Munson, Thurman
1B Cash, Norm Camilli, Dolph Terry, Bill Kluszewski, Ted Bottomley, Jim Cepeda, Orlando
2B Doerr, Bobby Frisch, Frankie Lazzeri, Tony Schoendienst, Red Herman, Billy Fox, Nellie
3B Killebrew, Harmon Clift, Harlond Robinson, Brooks Hack, Stan Boyer, Ken Traynor, Pie
SS Pesky, Johnny Sewell, Joe Joost, Eddie Bancroft, Dave Reese, Pee Wee Bartell, Dick
OF1 Snider, Duke Waner, Paul Ott, Mel Averill, Earl Cobb, Ty Ashburn, Richie
OF2 Robinson, Frank Kiner, Ralph Medwick, Joe Foster, George Kaline, Al Clemente, Roberto
OF3 Carey, Max Buford, Don Tresh, Tom Russell, Jim Henderson, Ken North, Billy
RHP1 Adams, Babe Johnson, Walter Roberts, Robin Lemon, Bob Lucas, Red Alexander, Pete
RHP2 Hunter, Catfish Seaver, Tom Drysdale, Don Palmer, Jim Perry, Gaylord Messersmith, Andy
LHP1 Peters, Gary Rixey, Eppa McDowell, Sam Pierce, Billy Ford, Whitey Pennock, Herb
LHP2 Tanana, Frank Peterson, Fritz Wood, Wilbur Jones, Randy Matlack, Jon Koosman, Jerry
4/4/2024 2:42 PM (edited)
$100M Q&A

Q: For the 100m is it ok to have four players from the same team and season if two of them are in the boxes? It says someone in the boxes can’t be a teammate but I assume it’s okay to take, say, George Foster and Joe Morgan from the same season as long as you take two other guys from that Reds team.
A: Yes, as long as the other players aren't Bench, Rose, or anyone else who is in any of the boxes. But yes you can use Foster and Morgan with other Reds teammates from the same season, if you choose.

Q: Can we play the players drafted from the boxes in alternate positions or do we need to play them in the position they were drafted?
Also, do we have to draft a season at that position? For instance Pete Rose is in an OF box. Do I need to a) draft a season Rose is eligible at OF and b) play him in the OF?
A: There are no restrictions on how you manage the team. You can take any eligible season of the players in the boxes and use them however you want. You can take any Rose season (up to 1980) and play him wherever you choose.

Q: I recognize that the teammate that I choose has to have been a teammate of my selected box player in the year that I'm using for my box player, but do I have to use that same season for my teammate? For example, let's say I choose 1927 Babe Ruth, and want to use Earle Combs as his teammate. In this case, would I have to specifically use the 1927 Earle Combs?
A: Yes, you must use a teammate from the season of your player from the box. In this case, yes, if you use '27 Ruth then you'd need to use '27 Combs (or anyone else from the 1927 Yankees).
4/10/2024 4:02 PM (edited)
$110 MillionThe 13th Warrior
Pick any of the ten digits and then make your team from each of the 13 years that end in that number from 1894-2023 (i.e., if you chose #6 you would be picking from 1896, 1906, 1916, 1926, 1936, 1946, 1956, 1966, 1976, 1986, 1996, 2006, and 2016). Further, you must select exactly one hitter and one pitcher from 12 of those years. That will leave one player (your Warrior) to be selected from the 13th year. Your Warrior must also be the most expensive player on your roster.

Seasons: 1894-2023
DH: Yes
Ballpark: Must be the home ballpark of your Warrior
Team Name: Please include the last digit of your season in your team name

4/4/2024 2:37 PM (edited)
$110M Q&A

Q: What do we do if the ballpark of the 13th Warrior is not in the database? For instance, the 1890s Orioles?
A: Use What If Sports Park
4/7/2024 7:22 PM (edited)
$120 Million - Take Five
Pick 5 real-life teams (from 5 different franchises) and use exactly 5 players from each of them. You must use at least 2 hitters and 2 pitchers from each of your teams. Each of your selected teams must be at least 20 years apart from each other (i.e., using 1920 and 1940 would be legal).

Seasons: All
Ballpark: Must be the home park of one of your 5 teams

4/4/2024 2:38 PM (edited)
res for Q&A
4/4/2024 12:30 PM
$140 Million - Attack of the Clones (and Babes)
This is a Diamond structure clone league where you will have 9 unique players with 7 of them cloned in this way: 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1. So you will have 5 clones of one player, 4 clones of two players, 3 clones of two players, 2 clones of two players, and one version each of two players. One of your seven players with at least two clones must be Babe Ruth.

Seasons: 1920-2023 (except you can use any of Ruth’s seasons 1915-)
DH: Yes
Clones: YES!
Ballpark: Any
4/4/2024 2:40 PM (edited)
res for Q&A
4/4/2024 12:31 PM
$80M: I assume this means that if a player has played even one game at Catcher, they are ineligible if the arm rating is > D+ (even if they played another position as their primary position).
4/4/2024 5:02 PM
Posted by justinlee_24 on 4/4/2024 5:03:00 PM (view original):
$80M: I assume this means that if a player has played even one game at Catcher, they are ineligible if the arm rating is > D+ (even if they played another position as their primary position).
That is correct. Because otherwise, he'd just get used as the everyday C more than likely.
4/4/2024 5:17 PM
1234 Next ▸
Round 1 Themes, 2024 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.