Round 1 Themes, 2024 Topic

Posted by barracuda3 on 4/25/2024 1:51:00 PM (view original):
So am I the only one struggling to create a $120M team that's better than my $110M team?
No, the $120m has been the bane of my existence...

No joke, I've probably spent more time on this team than any team I've ever built... at least 3+ hours on 4-5 separate days, plus a little here and there as I get time to put something together. Most challenging themes I build 3-4 teams trying different ideas or iterations of ideas, occasionally I'll get to around 7-9 teams. I'm at least 18-20 iterations in and have built 4 full teams that I'd have considered entering... One, the team had a $105m salary... second had a $111m salary. third had a $115m salary. The latest has $119m salary, but I just dumped $8m into two completely frivolous and useless bench players... they aren't better than any of the starters, are barely passable as PH, just have 600+ PA... and the team is already carrying potentially 100 excess IP.

I'm definitely going back to the drawing board. I just can't fathom how anyone spends their whole $120m without drafting 1500+ IP and/or 6500+ PA with a bunch of wasted $...

One one I even tried to just draft high $ guys and had four $10m+ hitters, including two over $15m, and still didn't eclipse $115m...
5/9/2024 2:54 PM
I have a couple usable teams with only ~1M in wasted salary. But I don't particularly like the lineup construction (i.e. my weaker hitters have the most ABs, while my sluggers would have to bat in the bottom half of the order to not get fatigued).

I've enjoyed it though. My biggest challenge is that I have a couple RL teams I like, and I inevitably work myself back to using them again, and it messes up my flow for creating a new team.

EDIT: Just finished a team with 5600 PA and 1500 IP, $119.8M salary. 113 mopup innings and one useless bench scrub, all totaling $1.15M. I'd say that's a keeper.
5/9/2024 3:21 PM (edited)
The 140m and 120m are really fun draft but I've spent so much time trying different combinations ... I think I got them down to their best versions... we'll see... the 100m is a real nightmare
5/9/2024 3:42 PM
Please remind/advise how/where to create rosters.
5/9/2024 4:36 PM
Posted by Qhadow123 on 5/9/2024 4:36:00 PM (view original):
Please remind/advise how/where to create rosters.
You'll need to purchase new teams and build rosters in the draft center.
5/9/2024 4:39 PM
and then just assign them to the designated league numbers when the commishes generate them?
5/9/2024 5:21 PM
Yes, create them as open league teams for now. Build your rosters and then when league numbers come out you can edit the league option to enter them.

Good luck.
5/9/2024 5:31 PM
Posted by The_Creeper on 5/5/2024 12:01:00 AM (view original):
WTF...this is my first one of these and I kept double checking to see if I followed all the rules. My Take 5 team was great, 5 different seasons and came together nicely.....BUT I just realized I used 1 FRANCHISE TWICE ... well, I guess I am not done.
I helped create and proofread these themes…..and I still double and triple check the rules and catch myself making mistakes
5/9/2024 5:33 PM
Posted by redcped on 5/5/2024 1:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The_Creeper on 5/5/2024 12:01:00 AM (view original):
WTF...this is my first one of these and I kept double checking to see if I followed all the rules. My Take 5 team was great, 5 different seasons and came together nicely.....BUT I just realized I used 1 FRANCHISE TWICE ... well, I guess I am not done.
Yeah, I think a few people have run into that. I just realized I had built my 70M team using one combined season, and it really fell apart without that player. So I had to go to Plan G or H or maybe it's ZZ by now. That one tested my patience.
Lol.

I did the exact same. I struggled with this theme the most and finally squeaked a roster under the 70m cap a few weeks ago. Then when I was recently double checking the rules (as per my post above) it finally clicked that no combined seasons were allowed (I honestly don’t remember that distinction when we were first discussing this theme) and that completely destroyed the roster I had created. So I was forced to revisit this and have now wrestled another team down to 71m. I’m confident I can get it under 70m with a blindfold and some random cutting of players. Not so confident it has a pitching staff capable of getting an out however.
5/9/2024 5:41 PM
My personal ranking of difficulty

1: 70m. Pure torture
2. 110m. Not so difficult, maybe, to create a roster but this one has driven me crazy in trying 20 different variations of every digit to try and maximize an effective roster that meshes with its stadium. I have no idea which of my many rosters is actually worth entering.
3. 100m. The boxes was a difficult puzzle but my roster came together fairly quickly and I’m not going to attempt to tinker with this one any further.
4a140m. Again, not so hard to make a roster. I’ve found it hard trying to make an effective roster that doesn’t include a lot of waste
4b 120m. Maybe a tie with the above for similar reasons.
6. 80m. I find all 80m and lower themes difficult just because my brain likes to focus on good players. But beyond that, and in comparison to the puzzles above, it’s fairly straightforward.
5/9/2024 5:50 PM
I have 5 themes done (maybe with some tinkering). Once I finalize those 5, I will go balls-out on the 70M theme. Save the hardest for last, right?
5/9/2024 6:03 PM
I probably won't be entering teams over Mothers Day weekend, and I'm probably not the only one, so I assume the deadlines are pushed back?
5/9/2024 6:44 PM
Posted by jfranco77 on 5/9/2024 6:44:00 PM (view original):
I probably won't be entering teams over Mothers Day weekend, and I'm probably not the only one, so I assume the deadlines are pushed back?
I’m thinking of pushing it out a few days, maybe to next Wednesday? I want to try to keep the final deadline if at all possible though.
5/9/2024 6:54 PM
Posted by schwarze on 5/9/2024 6:03:00 PM (view original):
I have 5 themes done (maybe with some tinkering). Once I finalize those 5, I will go balls-out on the 70M theme. Save the hardest for last, right?
It’s only narrowing it down from every team in history without a ton of insight into which ones might work. So yeah sure.
5/9/2024 6:55 PM
Can the free agent pitcher/hitter be a combined season on the $70M team?
5/9/2024 7:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...11 Next ▸
Round 1 Themes, 2024 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.