Do you need a QB for running the Wishbone? Topic

Another season ended, we went 14-1,finished #8, winning the CC, losing in the first round of the playoffs, embarrassing.
8/10/2021 3:19 AM
My recruiting class (22 recruits) was ranked #13 (two 5stars, six 4stars) by GUESS, full roster #16 (down from #6). Roster now has 11 RB (2 RS), 12 OL (RS), 8 DL, 7 LB, 10 DB, P, K.
8/28/2021 3:32 PM
Another season comes to an end, we went 13-2,finished #18, losing in the second round of the playoffs to the #2 ranked team..
9/15/2021 3:34 PM
This is a cool experiment.

One thing I noticed when looking at your play by play is that you are mostly handing off to RB1. I like that.

However, as soon as RB1 drops below the effectiveness level you set (90%) he then enters the game at QB which makes him unavailable to return for the rest of the drive.

One option might be to create two separate Wishbone formations that each use a different RB depth chart. In the first one, you would use RB1 to get most of the carries. and then put your 2nd best RB somewhere down towards the bottom (3rd to last maybe?) of the DC, In the other one, swap them so RB2 gets most of the carries and RB1 goes 3rd to last on the depth chart. You'll need to play with this a little so that the RB you want to rest is not going in at another position. Ideally your best two RBs should be getting most of the carries.
9/16/2021 3:14 PM
Hey, jeffn48. Thanks for your thoughts. That's really a problem and I am playing around with formations and settings for some time. Didn't find the right answer yer.
9/17/2021 4:36 AM
Fun read. I decided to pick up a few teams and I am going wishbone with one each in D1 and D1AA. I was planning kn throwing a little out of it but I am now thinking of going 100% run.
10/2/2021 12:25 AM
My recruiting class (7 recruits) was ranked #18 (two 4stars) by GUESS, full roster #13 (up from #16). Roster now has 11 RB (RS), 10 OL (RS), 9 DL (RS), 8 LB, 10 DB, P, K.
10/2/2021 3:11 PM
Another season comes to an end, we went 16-2,finished #8, lwinning the CC, losing in the semi-finals of the playoffs.
10/21/2021 3:43 PM
My recruiting class (6 recruits) was ranked #13 (two 4stars) by GUESS, full roster #7 (up from #13). Roster now has 12 RB (RS), 10 OL (RS), 8 DL, 9 LB, 9 DB (RS), P, K.
11/6/2021 3:47 PM
Another season comes to an end, we went 16-1,finished #6, lwinning the CC, losing in the quarterfinals of the playoffs.
11/25/2021 3:01 PM
My recruiting class (12 recruits) was ranked #16 (one 5star, four 4stars) by GUESS, full roster #9 (down from #7). All recruits have H or VH potential. Roster now has 16 RB (3 RS), 9 OL, 9 DL, 7 LB, 7 DB, P, K.
12/12/2021 6:41 AM
Another season comes to an end, we went 16-2,finished #12, winning the CC, losing in the second round of the playoffs (1point defeat to the new NC....)
1/3/2022 11:28 AM
This is a fun experiment; but if you want my 2 cents, I can't help but feel roster composition, and class distribution, is holding it back.

I get it's a no QB/WR/TE offense, but 16 RBs is a bit excessive. If you recruit 2 a year, redshirting one, you'd have a RS SR, SR, and RS JR to start every year. You could then recruit 3 OL a year, RS one, and then start a RS SR, 2 SR, RS JR, and 2 JRs (or 1 RS SO) at the 5 OL and TE spot. You can easily run this offense, with nothing but upper classmen starting, recruiting just 5 offensive players per year (TBH, you could probably get away with even 4 every other year) freeing up the rest of your class for defense. The biggest benefit this experiment offers you is there are 3 positions you can entirely ignore on your roster, but you don't really take advantage of that by adding so many additional RBs and/or OL.

I realize this would take some time and creativity to adjust, but I also think a more evenly distributed FR-SR class would allow you to take more advantage of this potential roster composition instead of having one giant class (22), one medium (12) and two small ones (7, 6) particularly when the largest classes are back to back.

I just feel like you're sacrificing something very significant (throwing the ball) attempting this experiment, while not truly maximizing what you're getting in return (extra roster space for your defense by not using QB/WR/TEs).

Regardless, I am enjoying following the process
1/4/2022 12:31 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, Ben. Much appreciated.
1/4/2022 5:35 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...11 Next ▸
Do you need a QB for running the Wishbone? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.