Let's Build a Theme Together (DEAD) Topic

I was also nosing around in this theme, but there were a few rules that felt like they might suck the fun out of it. In particular, the D+ catchers, narrow range of years for pitchers, D-Train and WMD rules all felt a bit too prescriptive. The 60M cap was less of a deterrent for me than some of the more specific prohibitions.
10/7/2021 1:20 PM
Low cap leagues are to sim leagues as sour beers are to the craft beer world. Despite the fact they will leave you puckering up, they have quite a following. This metpahor also applies to dark roasted coffees, black licorice, and dark chocolate.

10/7/2021 1:29 PM
I’m a little late to the party. I’d join as-is. Think the rules are fun and lend themselves to some creative roster building.

my rule addition would have been an IP limit on individual pitchers. Something like: “With exception of Dontrelle Willis, no pitcher can have more than 200 IP or less than 60 IP”
10/7/2021 2:21 PM
if you had ever played a progressive, or other themes with restrictive rules you would not think 20 years is a narrow range for pitchers. Especially not in a 16 team league.
10/7/2021 2:42 PM
Posted by gworear on 10/7/2021 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Low cap leagues are to sim leagues as sour beers are to the craft beer world. Despite the fact they will leave you puckering up, they have quite a following. This metpahor also applies to dark roasted coffees, black licorice, and dark chocolate.

I love dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, black licorice and low caps. Not a fan of sour beer though.

:)
10/7/2021 2:53 PM
Posted by _jwillis on 10/7/2021 1:20:00 PM (view original):
I was also nosing around in this theme, but there were a few rules that felt like they might suck the fun out of it. In particular, the D+ catchers, narrow range of years for pitchers, D-Train and WMD rules all felt a bit too prescriptive. The 60M cap was less of a deterrent for me than some of the more specific prohibitions.
I agree here. There were a few rules that made it hard to conceive of a team. The D-Train rule and WMD rule looked especially tricky. I was a little turned off by the infield platoon rule that tied up 10 of your players. Maybe if there was an overriding rule that let you break a few of the other rules, except for the DH and $60 million cap. Commish sets a few unbreakable rules, and the owners get to break a few of the others.
10/7/2021 6:20 PM
Posted by bgreenblatt on 10/7/2021 6:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by _jwillis on 10/7/2021 1:20:00 PM (view original):
I agree here. There were a few rules that made it hard to conceive of a team. The D-Train rule and WMD rule looked especially tricky. I was a little turned off by the infield platoon rule that tied up 10 of your players. Maybe if there was an overriding rule that let you break a few of the other rules, except for the DH and $60 million cap. Commish sets a few unbreakable rules, and the owners get to break a few of the others.
I've been looking at the rules everyday and i was interested but yes the platoon rule was a little rough because one owner dictated a majority of your roster. I was ok with the specific player rules and pitching years. With so many restrictions i think having a higher cap would also help so taking a WMD would be more feasible. I'm not a fan of anything less than 80M but that's my own problem.
10/7/2021 6:31 PM
The rules as-is were fine and would have allowed plenty of flexibility. I expect we would have seen a lot of '68 Mantles for the WMD rule, but not exclusively.

I am toying with the idea of restarting this with a couple of tweaks, but there will be absolutely no rule that lets owners disregard other rules - that completely defeats the purpose of the league.
10/7/2021 10:53 PM
The most important tweak I will likely make is that we get 16 owners to sign up FIRST - then do a random order for the setting of rules. So 16 owners have to commit without knowing what they will end up with.
10/7/2021 10:58 PM
I’ll still do it
10/7/2021 11:03 PM
Count me in
10/8/2021 1:36 AM
10/8/2021 6:50 AM
◂ Prev 1234
Let's Build a Theme Together (DEAD) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.