Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Except there's no way to prove that to be true.    The fact of the matter is that very few people, at any level, take groundballs in the face.    That is a fact.  "the vast majority of people would have been hit in the face by that baseball, if they were standing in the same position, and was as tall, as Miggy" is not.   Pure speculation.
I'm using the fact that he's a professional athlete and obviously has fantastic reactionary skills based on his god-like ability to hit a baseball. The fact that you assume that you would have moved out of the way of the ball is silly.
I'm assuming most of the population that plays stick/ball games would have gotten out of the way(something I've said a 100 times in this thread).    Is there a push to make CIF wear face gear?   Why is that?  3B coaches have to wear helmets(as do batters).  There is a discussion about headgear for pitchers.  
3/25/2014 2:28 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/25/2014 2:03:00 PM (view original):
That he knows how to avoid getting hit in the face by ground balls better than some professional athletes?
Pretty much everyone who plays a stick/ball game is better at getting their face out of the way of a ground ball.   Otherwise, we'd be hearing arguments for making infielders wear protective gear on their face. 
3/25/2014 2:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 1:41:00 PM (view original):

To put it another way, there is talk of mandating that pitchers wear some sort of padded hat.   They don't get hit with line drives in the noggin very often but it's often enough that it's a discussion worth having.    Is there a discussion about 3B wearing face protection that I'm unaware of?

Bueller?
3/25/2014 2:30 PM
They do exist.   Maybe Miggy should look into them.

3/25/2014 2:35 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 2:13:00 PM (view original):
That he knows how to avoid getting hit in the face by ground balls better than some professional athletes?
Sounds like that is his argument. Which is insane.
This.
3/25/2014 2:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 2:30:00 PM (view original):
Pretty much everyone who plays a stick/ball game is better at getting their face out of the way of a ground ball.   Otherwise, we'd be hearing arguments for making infielders wear protective gear on their face. 
This.
3/25/2014 2:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 2:28:00 PM (view original):
Except there's no way to prove that to be true.    The fact of the matter is that very few people, at any level, take groundballs in the face.    That is a fact.  "the vast majority of people would have been hit in the face by that baseball, if they were standing in the same position, and was as tall, as Miggy" is not.   Pure speculation.
I'm using the fact that he's a professional athlete and obviously has fantastic reactionary skills based on his god-like ability to hit a baseball. The fact that you assume that you would have moved out of the way of the ball is silly.
I'm assuming most of the population that plays stick/ball games would have gotten out of the way(something I've said a 100 times in this thread).    Is there a push to make CIF wear face gear?   Why is that?  3B coaches have to wear helmets(as do batters).  There is a discussion about headgear for pitchers.  
And I'm saying that's a dumb assumption. Have you watched the play?
3/25/2014 2:57 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 2:57:00 PM (view original):
I've watched many plays.    At many levels.    I can't even imagine how many grounders I've seen in 45+ years of watching/playing.     As previously stated, I've seen three people, before Miggy, get hit in the face.  

Why is there a discussion over pitchers wearing protective headgear but no such discussion for CIF face gear?
3/25/2014 3:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 2:57:00 PM (view original):
I've watched many plays.    At many levels.    I can't even imagine how many grounders I've seen in 45+ years of watching/playing.     As previously stated, I've seen three people, before Miggy, get hit in the face.  

Why is there a discussion over pitchers wearing protective headgear but no such discussion for CIF face gear?
Because it's more likely that a pitcher would get hit in the face with a batted ball than an infielder.  The line drive directly at his head is a more likely scenario than the bad hop grounder to an infielder's face that he can't react to in time. 

Tell me more about how your reaction time is better than professional athletes.  It's hysterical.
3/25/2014 3:45 PM
I've seen so much baseball, and I can only remember one time where a player caught a popup in foul ground, several feet from the end of the playing field, and couldn't stop himself from falling face first into seats, becoming such a bloody mess than he had to leave the game.  I obviously have better balance and body control than that guy.
3/25/2014 3:48 PM
How often do pitchers take one off the noggin?    Once, twice a year?    And IF obviously get hit in the face less than that, right?   Why is that?

I doubt my reaction time is better than very many professional athletes.   But me, along with many, many others(almost everyone with even the tiniest of athletic ability), are quite adept at not getting hit in the face with projectiles we see coming.    A certain Detroit Tiger can't say the same.

But would you like to know what's really hysterical?   You acting as badluck's mini-me.    If you want to make a dumbass argument, be original.    Wanna discuss exit speeds and how long it take a ball to travel 60/90 feet?   Perhaps you'll prove to be just as dense as your hero/role model.
3/25/2014 3:51 PM
How often do pitchers take one off the noggin?    Once, twice a year?    And IF obviously get hit in the face less than that, right?   Why is that?

Already answered. Bad hops on fast-moving ground balls that end up bouncing 5 feet in the air happen much less often than screaming liners back to the mound. Especially when talking about MLB-level playing fields.

I doubt my reaction time is better than very many professional athletes.   But me, along with many, many others(almost everyone with even the tiniest of athletic ability), are quite adept at not getting hit in the face with projectiles we see coming.    A certain Detroit Tiger can't say the same. 

He didn't see it coming. If you saw the play, you'd understand why.  It was bouncing a foot or 2 off the ground, hit the dirt, and bounced 5 feet into the air. He had little to no time to react.  From bat to face, the play lasted a second at most.  Probably less.

But would you like to know what's really hysterical?   You acting as badluck's mini-me.    If you want to make a dumbass argument, be original.    Wanna discuss exit speeds and how long it take a ball to travel 60/90 feet?   Perhaps you'll prove to be just as dense as your hero/role model.

You arguing that you have better reaction time than professional athletes is much funnier/sad than me taking the same side of someone else in the forums. And you're arguing about the mechanics of a play that you've never even seen.  That is original, so I'll give you that. 
3/25/2014 3:57 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 3:49:00 PM (view original):
I've seen so much baseball, and I can only remember one time where a player caught a popup in foul ground, several feet from the end of the playing field, and couldn't stop himself from falling face first into seats, becoming such a bloody mess than he had to leave the game.  I obviously have better balance and body control than that guy.
Yea, I'd definitely be able to stop myself from busting my face open on this catch.  Obviously I'm better at not falling than this guy.

3/25/2014 4:01 PM
How could he NOT see it coming.  Hit him right under the eye. 

If you could read, you'd know I'm not arguing that I have better reaction time than professional athletes.  ****, burnsyluck, you quoted me saying EXACTLY that 5 minutes ago.   But I did say I, like most people are quite adept at not taking projectiles square in the face.    Why do you insist on stating something that I clearly denied moments ago?   Because you're badluckjr?  He does that a lot.
3/25/2014 4:02 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 4:02:00 PM (view original):
How could he NOT see it coming.  Hit him right under the eye. 

If you could read, you'd know I'm not arguing that I have better reaction time than professional athletes.  ****, burnsyluck, you quoted me saying EXACTLY that 5 minutes ago.   But I did say I, like most people are quite adept at not taking projectiles square in the face.    Why do you insist on stating something that I clearly denied moments ago?   Because you're badluckjr?  He does that a lot.
So you're arguing that you don't have a better reaction time than Miggy, but that you'd be able to react quicker than Miggy on that play.  OK, biz.
3/25/2014 4:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...53|54|55|56|57...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.