NEW PROGRESSIVE - Hindsight Manager Topic

Posted by macattack87 on 4/13/2011 1:18:00 AM (view original):
Pittsburgh please =D
Thanks, mac. Glad to have ya!

<shameless plug>

By the way, since you like Pittsburgh, maybe you (or any one else reading this) would like the Pittsburgh franchise in my other progressive. As soon as someone claims it, we're ready to draft!

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=437453&TopicsTimeframe=30

</shameless plug>
4/13/2011 9:12 AM
Oops, my bad on missing those parts!

Also, if you can't find a good opening day source for teams, it could be done by players. I know baseball-almanac.com lists the player's seasons in order of what team they played for, even if they did switch teams mid-year. For example, Gaylord Perry started out with the Rangers in 1980 before going to the Yankees, that's how they have it listed. As long as all the owners looked this up for their team's players, I think that method would work out for determining opening day rosters.
4/13/2011 9:35 AM
Posted by bringinsxybc on 4/13/2011 9:35:00 AM (view original):
Oops, my bad on missing those parts!

Also, if you can't find a good opening day source for teams, it could be done by players. I know baseball-almanac.com lists the player's seasons in order of what team they played for, even if they did switch teams mid-year. For example, Gaylord Perry started out with the Rangers in 1980 before going to the Yankees, that's how they have it listed. As long as all the owners looked this up for their team's players, I think that method would work out for determining opening day rosters.
I could do that, and I still might, but I would have to go and check them all, and quite frankly, that could be a lot of work and it would be easy to miss someone. Surely there's gotta be someplace we could find historical opening day rosters.
4/13/2011 11:09 AM
The idea is that you are handed the reigns of your team on opening day 1980 and have the opportunity to rewrite history. You have to decide - not the real life manager - if making a deal mid 1980 is in your best interest. So, ideally, I'd like everyone to start with exactly the same roster as the team really did to give us the most accurate starting point for comparing how your managing skills measure up.
4/13/2011 12:18 PM
Does "the champion" in 1989 get anything special?
4/14/2011 6:49 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/14/2011 6:49:00 AM (view original):
Does "the champion" in 1989 get anything special?
I was just thinking about that. I've never offered a prize before, but I probably should here. What kind of prize would entice you to join us? :)
4/14/2011 8:59 AM
what is the DH policy?
4/14/2011 5:11 PM
Posted by macattack87 on 4/14/2011 5:11:00 PM (view original):
what is the DH policy?
Good question. The AL will use DH, the NL will not - just like in real life.
4/14/2011 5:48 PM
I'll try this with the Reds.
4/15/2011 10:36 AM
Posted by mattedesa on 4/13/2011 9:10:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bringinsxybc on 4/13/2011 12:23:00 AM (view original):
This is cool as hell. Just getting back into progressives now... I will take the Dodgers.

However, I do have one question. Some players appear on multiple teams after being traded. Would both teams keep the player, or how would that be figured out?
Also, how would wins be decided for the 1981 season?

Either way, cool concept.
Uh, oh...someone who doesn't read the whole post before asking questions. I'll let it slide because of the compliment :)

Anyway, a recap on your questions:

1) If I can locate a reliable source to determine teams' opening day rosters (any help here would be appreciated), I'd prefer for the traded players to be on the team they began with. If I'm not able to locate such a source, the only method I can think of is to award players who played for multiple franchises to the team they had more PA with.

2) For the 1981 season, I will extrapolate the expected wins for a full season from their winning percentage during the shortened season. For example, if they played at a .500 clip in the shortened 1981 season, I would count that as an 81 win season. If they played at a .400 rate, I would call it a 65 (rounded up from 64.8) win season.
Baseball-reference.com shows most trades and such so any player in question should have the exact date of the trade listed. Anyone who traded after 4/9/1980 would stay on the original team.
4/15/2011 11:50 AM
I'll Take the Cardinals if that is okay!
4/15/2011 12:55 PM
I'll grab the Red Sox.
4/15/2011 12:58 PM
and just to clarify: this progressive will end with the 89 season, correct? 

And how about "the champion" gets all the league credits you can get from the site for long-running progressives? 

(The champion could be the team that has the highest increase in number of wins in the decade over its real-life counterpart.)
4/15/2011 1:00 PM
A couple of questions.
1) If I have more than 25 eligible players on my 1980 roster can i trade them before I actually set my roster?

I don't see this discussed but will the number of draft picks for my team be based on how many players I drop/loose from the previous year's roster or upon the number of players in the upcoming years draft pool?.  In other words, will  I be able retain my current roster (discounting any players no longer in the database) until after I draft/trade for the upcoming year and then make my cuts?.
4/15/2011 3:56 PM
Thanks to crazy, ben, and mw for joining up!

Good thoughts and questions. It's a particularly busy weekend for me right now, so I've only got a minute. I'll address them further in a couple days if questions remain.

1) Several ideas have been given about how to determine which team a traded player should play for. I think we can say the team he started the season with will get him. Between all the ideas mentioned, I'm sure we can figure it out.

2) For prizes, I thought of giving a prize to the winner of the world series and a prize to the team with the greatest win increase. Exactly what the prize would be, I'll need to take some time to figure.

3) You have to enter the league with a 25 man roster. I don't think I like the idea of trading someone before you enter your roster. If enough people think otherwise, I can be persuaded.

4) Cuts must be made and keepers for the next season announced between games 120 and 162.

Again, thank you all for joining up and for your questions. It's good to know other people are there helping me think through all these little details!
4/16/2011 12:55 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
NEW PROGRESSIVE - Hindsight Manager Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.