Posted by mw100 on 4/20/2011 1:12:00 PM (view original):
What interests me about this league is the concept -- progressive with limited span. It's a new dynamic and changes drafting philosophy, team-building philosophy, etc. Something new.
I would only play through 1989. As far as incentivizing owners to stay -- reward the teams that most exceed its real-life counterparts decade win total. Use the credits you can obtain through admin for every 5-years of running progressives to pay out. Could be something like 40 dollars to first, 20 to second, 15 to third. That could keep a team that has been crappy, but perhaps exceeding win totals, interested.
Thanks for the input. I tend to agree.
I was already thinking about giving prizes for both the 1989 WS winner and to the team or teams that best improve upon real life. I've just got to sit down and figure out exactly how to break it down. I've never run a league like this before :)
My concern (and I think the one originally voiced) is if someone takes a team that was good in real life in the late 80's. What if they, by poor management, run it into the ground in the middle 80's? They've no chance of winning the WS in 1989, and no chance of outperforming a good real-life team. Unless it's someone with a strong sense of finishing what they started, they could understandably ditch on the league, and that team would be VERY hard to re-fill.
Maybe I could arrange the prizes where I would still have a couple of free teams available in case this comes up. That way myself or another owner could take over the derelict franchise to finish up the league without having to pay for it.