In a progressive league where salary influences draft order (lower salary = better pick) is it fair for a VERY GOOD team with a HIGH salary to trade three (3) AAA players to a VERY BAD team with a LOW salary for nothing.

I am interested in opinions.


( I posted this in the Main Forum's but I think this is a better venue.)
5/4/2011 10:32 AM
How does trading AAA players for nothing (I assume that means worthless AAA guys coming back?) affect anything? Unless the return is a future stud with a low-salary upcoming season, I'm not sure what the issue is.
5/4/2011 11:50 AM
nothing means nothing....one team sent three AAA players to another for the sole purpose of lowering it's salary.
5/4/2011 12:05 PM
I think it is gaming the salary formula.  Team A (high salary) reduces salary thus potentially improving their draft pick and not really taking loss of performance as they obviously  have good players/pitchers because their salary is high.  Team B (low salary) greatly increases their PAs/IP for 600K...dramatically improving thier chances to win without taking on salary and hurting their draft pick.

I would have vetoed the trade.  If you get enough people in your league to agree, push for a rule where only drafted players can be traded and AAA guys cannot.
5/4/2011 1:00 PM
Posted by frazzman80 on 5/4/2011 1:01:00 PM (view original):
I think it is gaming the salary formula.  Team A (high salary) reduces salary thus potentially improving their draft pick and not really taking loss of performance as they obviously  have good players/pitchers because their salary is high.  Team B (low salary) greatly increases their PAs/IP for 600K...dramatically improving thier chances to win without taking on salary and hurting their draft pick.

I would have vetoed the trade.  If you get enough people in your league to agree, push for a rule where only drafted players can be traded and AAA guys cannot.
What if wins are good in the draft order formula?   In this league you improve your draft standing with wins so it is advantageous for Team B to win games.
5/4/2011 2:08 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/4/2011 2:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by frazzman80 on 5/4/2011 1:01:00 PM (view original):
I think it is gaming the salary formula.  Team A (high salary) reduces salary thus potentially improving their draft pick and not really taking loss of performance as they obviously  have good players/pitchers because their salary is high.  Team B (low salary) greatly increases their PAs/IP for 600K...dramatically improving thier chances to win without taking on salary and hurting their draft pick.

I would have vetoed the trade.  If you get enough people in your league to agree, push for a rule where only drafted players can be traded and AAA guys cannot.
What if wins are good in the draft order formula?   In this league you improve your draft standing with wins so it is advantageous for Team B to win games.
Then team B really makes out like a bandit.  

They pick up valuable PAs and IPs without taking on salary (assuming the AAA players are 200K each).  We all know that these AAA players are real life players who will have salaries far exceeding 200K, and will perform at a much higher level than a true 200K player.  To team B, these are not only free players (since they didn't trade away anything to get them), they are most likely adding more than $3 million in salary for a true pricetag of 600K. 

It not only helps them win more games (better draft position), but it also helps them do it effectively salary-wise (better draft position).  They get double the bonus this way.
5/4/2011 2:27 PM

In most of the progressive leagues I am currently in, teams are allowed to draft their own players to replace the sim-generated AAA players, and in leagues where a salary-based formula is used, the real life salaries are factored in to the team salary totals. (Customer support will adjust the salaries showing at the AAA level once the league schedule has been set .  The sim-generated guys ($200K) would not be permitted to be used or in trade (although I have seen some exceptional cases made)

The situation you described seems unfair.
 

5/4/2011 3:45 PM

I have been commissioner of many leagues (both fantasy and WIS sim).  As long as both owners think they are improving their teams, the trade should not be vetoed.  Heck, I've even made a lopsided trade where I got the worst of it because I wanted another team to have a better chance of winning against a division rival of mine.

Unless you can proove some kind of collusion, I don't see a problem of two people trying to improve their teams in any way possible.

5/5/2011 11:39 AM
Collusion=Heck, I've even made a lopsided trade where I got the worst of it because I wanted another team to have a better chance of winning against a division rival of mine.

5/11/2011 4:49 PM
a couple of the leagues i'm in uses a salary formula, but AAA are not included in the salary formula. But the something for nothing trade would still help the low salary team. I would have vetoed the trade as there was no vlaue going the other way.
5/11/2011 5:48 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.