Progressive SOX League (Dead) Topic

I'll reserve a team please.  Griffith Stadium
8/26/2011 11:18 PM
I'll reserve a team please.  Griffith Stadium
8/26/2011 11:18 PM
bump
8/30/2011 3:04 PM
did you give any thought to maybe have 2-3 players "twist" to whatever season you want, thus helping out the great "rookie" class?  I think that was the one thing that killed the RPL, people joined and then didnt want to wait 4-5 seasons to get good.  
8/31/2011 1:55 PM
Posted by chargingryno on 8/31/2011 1:55:00 PM (view original):
did you give any thought to maybe have 2-3 players "twist" to whatever season you want, thus helping out the great "rookie" class?  I think that was the one thing that killed the RPL, people joined and then didnt want to wait 4-5 seasons to get good.  

I am open to the idea. I think there definitely should be a limit to the number you could twist, such as you suggest. I am assuming you are thinking for the 1st year or two only?
8/31/2011 4:27 PM
Posted by bheid408 on 8/31/2011 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chargingryno on 8/31/2011 1:55:00 PM (view original):
did you give any thought to maybe have 2-3 players "twist" to whatever season you want, thus helping out the great "rookie" class?  I think that was the one thing that killed the RPL, people joined and then didnt want to wait 4-5 seasons to get good.  

I am open to the idea. I think there definitely should be a limit to the number you could twist, such as you suggest. I am assuming you are thinking for the 1st year or two only?
Lets NOT do a twist.This was advertised as a PROGRESSIVE league.As far as a cap with all rookies I doubt that $100 will be a problem.
8/31/2011 6:45 PM
I like the idea of no twisting, but  the cap could hurt in a few seasons though
8/31/2011 7:10 PM

A 100 million cap is going to make for some hard decisions after a few seasons. That is the main reason why I want a mid-range cap. I don't want teams loaded with all-stars up and down the lineup every year. If you've got 14 good rookie hitters drafted in the initial draft and they all hit their expensive seasons at the same time you will have to choose which ones to keep and which ones to cut. The turnover of players will be good for future drafts. If you have to cut 5 or 6 good players and replace them with cheap rookies, which is what I'm after, then the league concept is working the way I want it too. In theory, you'll be constantly rebuilding because some of your established players will get too expensive too keep. Kind of like in today's world unless you're the Yankees or  Red Sox. Most small market teams can't afford a whole teams worth of expensive superstars. Now, will you have to cut your 3 or 4 top long-term players? Probably not, but if keeping them means losing a short term stud then that will be your choice. As your established players get older and less appealing to keep then the rookies you drafted a few seasons back will be the better option of course.

The more I think about it the less I'm inclined to go the twisting route as well. If you recall, chargingryno the difference between the RPL and this league is that the RPL only used players from the '69 season and reverted everyone back to their rookie season. This league is using players from 60 seasons. There are a lot of rookies that had full, excellent seasons their 1st year in the WIS database. There really is no reason why you couldn't build a competitive team for season 1 right off the bat. If you draft for future seasons then that is your choice and you evidently are planning for that, so why would you leave?
 

8/31/2011 8:28 PM
count me in.....
9/5/2011 6:28 PM
ok thanks mark
9/6/2011 6:51 PM
I'd like to join. Yankee Stadium II please.
9/6/2011 9:05 PM
thanks scottyboy4
9/6/2011 10:42 PM
Since I already miss the TSP, I'll come aboard in Shibe Park.
9/10/2011 5:05 PM
awesome AKlopp, good to have you along for the ride!
9/11/2011 9:20 AM
If a Player is cut, as I understand it, he goes back into the Pool.  If he is then drafted again, does he go back to his Rookie Year?  Would there be any restrictions from the orginal Team who drafted him the 1st time, drafting him again?
9/11/2011 8:29 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Progressive SOX League (Dead) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.