Beheadings Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 9/4/2014 12:24:00 PM (view original):
How would you suggest we kill the terrorists?
Boots on the ground.  We go in after them.
9/4/2014 12:42 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/4/2014 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Because that worked out so well before?

I don't think anyone wants a ground war.
9/4/2014 12:43 PM
Do you think a stern talking to would be more effective?
9/4/2014 12:50 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/4/2014 12:43:00 PM (view original):

And which ground war are you referring to?  Afghanistan (al-Qaeda) or Iraq?
9/4/2014 12:52 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/4/2014 12:50:00 PM (view original):
Do you think a stern talking to would be more effective?
Since the group hug wasn't very effective, I think that's Obama's next move. 
9/4/2014 12:53 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/4/2014 12:52:00 PM (view original):

How about all of them since, say, 1955?

We basically land, stir up ****, kill a bunch of people, get a bunch of our people killed, and then leave, failing to make any real change.

Do you really believe that we could go into the middle east and sort out the tribal and religious battles that have been going on for 4000 years in a reasonable amount of time and miraculously void the area of the sentiment that leads to terror groups?

I mean, ****, that's an incredibly naive way of thinking.

9/4/2014 12:59 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/4/2014 12:59:00 PM (view original):

We basically land, stir up ****, kill a bunch of people, get a bunch of our people killed, and then leave, failing to make any real change.

Do you really believe that we could go into the middle east and sort out the tribal and religious battles that have been going on for 4000 years in a reasonable amount of time and miraculously void the area of the sentiment that leads to terror groups?

What do you suggest we do about the terrorist groups who have stated their intentions to attack us and indiscriminately kill as many Americans as they can?
9/4/2014 1:01 PM
I don't have a good answer to that. And I don't think anyone does.
9/4/2014 1:02 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/4/2014 12:59:00 PM (view original):

And for what it's worth, there have basically been four ground wars since 1955 that the U.S. has been involved in:

1)  Viet-Nam - we had no plan, and we were unprepared to fight a guerrilla war.  That was a total cluster ****, with no goal and no exit strategy.

2)  Desert Storm - highly effective, well planned and well executed.  The only problem was that we were stopped by our allies from finishing the job, which would have been the removal of Saddam Hussein.

3)  Afghanistan - we took out the Taliban effectively enough, but then got sidetracked by Iraq and lost focus.  We needed to eradicate al-Qaeda and Bin Laden.  But GWB and company decided that Iraq needed to be taken care of (it didn't), so we pretty much diverted our attention from Afghanistan and never finished the job properly.

4)  Iraq - another cluster **** from the beginning.  We should never had gone in there to begin with.  But once we did, and removed Saddam Hussein and his regime, we had a moral obligation to stay there until the country and the government was stabilized.  But them came Obama and his pandering to his constituency and public opinion about Iraq, and we pulled out before the country was stable.  And so, here we are now.

9/4/2014 1:11 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/4/2014 1:02:00 PM (view original):
So we do nothing while they behead American citizens?

Awesome.  I'm surprised the Obama hasn't nominated you to be part of his Cabinet.

9/4/2014 1:12 PM
"Hey you.  Yeah, you over there in the corner.  Knock off that terrorist stuff right now!!!"

9/4/2014 1:12 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/4/2014 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/4/2014 1:02:00 PM (view original):
So we do nothing while they behead American citizens?

Awesome.  I'm surprised the Obama hasn't nominated you to be part of his Cabinet.

Me not having an answer is not a suggestion that we do nothing. I just don't think there's an easy answer. As you pointed out, we haven't accomplished much of anything in any ground war since 1955.

The beheading of journalists is horrible. But as horrible as it is, it's two guys who went over there voluntarily. How many Americans would die in a ground war?
9/4/2014 1:17 PM
While none of us want to see Americans being killed, assuming that people are going to die, I would prefer it be volunteer soldiers on foreign soil fighting for their country than innocent citizens on American soil who are just trying to go on with their daily lives.
9/4/2014 1:22 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/4/2014 1:22:00 PM (view original):
While none of us want to see Americans being killed, assuming that people are going to die, I would prefer it be volunteer soldiers on foreign soil fighting for their country than innocent citizens on American soil who are just trying to go on with their daily lives.
I don't think a ground war in the middle east will stop terror attacks at home.
9/4/2014 1:24 PM
It's a moot point anyways.  I would have less than zero confidence in any kind of war run under the command of our current commander-in-chief.
9/4/2014 1:28 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...20 Next ▸
Beheadings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.