Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 11/14/2014 1:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/14/2014 1:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/14/2014 12:30:00 PM (view original):
Here's my spiel on climate change and whatever "man" might be doing to the planet:

The earth has been around for billions of years.  It has thrived, and survived through multiple "extinction events", and has always bounced back to thrive again.

Mankind has only been around for an extremely small fraction of the earth's existence.  Yet, we somehow have the arrogance to believe that we have some sort of inherent "ownership" of the earth, that it "belongs" to us, and that change (which has been the one constant in 4.5 billion years of the history of the planet) should not occur.  People get all up in arms over rising sea levels, while sea levels and land masses have been constantly changing for billions of years.

The earth's population has been growing at an unsustainable level.  We are soon to be, or already are in many aspects, at the point where we do not have the resources to sustain the population and it's demand on resources.  Wars, disease, famine, etc, are inevitable.  Yet many people refuse to acknowledge this, or are in denial, of what is destined to be.  There will be another extinction event on this planet.  Maybe sooner, maybe later.  It may be caused by man, or it may be caused by an external force (i.e. a meteor strike).  Life as we know it today will perish.  Maybe a few will find a way to survive from the ashes, or maybe it will be a 100% loss of mankind.

But in the end . . . the planet will survive, like it always has.  It will thrive, like it always has.  The climate will change after all the people are gone, like it always has.  Sea levels will rise and fall, like they always have.  Land that is thriving with life today will become deserted and barren.  Land that is deserted and barren today will thrive with some sort of life.

And the cycle will continue until our sun finally dies, and the earth dies with it.

In other words . . . nothing to be concerned about.

Carry on, and enjoy the rest of your day.

It's not arrogance or ownership. It's survival. I don't care if the world continues to exist once I'm dead. The idea that, "well, the world will survive with or without humans," is not a good reason to continue to do things that will cause all humans to become extinct.

I challenge the idea that we're doing things with respect to the climate "that will cause all humans to become extinct".  Climate change happens with or without humans,  It goes beyond rational belief to say that 150 years of industrialization is bringing the planet to the brink of self-destruction.  The inevitable mass loss of life due to population growth outpacing the availability of the necessary resources to sustain it will be a tipping point long before whatever the climate change alarmists try to insist is happening will have any tangible effect.

Plus, the planet is much more resilient and self-regulating than the alarmists want you to believe.  A drastic reduction of the planet's population, whether by war, disease, famine, etc., will do wonders.

I challenge the idea that we're doing things with respect to the climate "that will cause all humans to become extinct".  Climate change happens with or without humans,  It goes beyond rational belief to say that 150 years of industrialization is bringing the planet to the brink of self-destruction.

Slow, gradual climate change happens naturally. Rapid climate change kills life on earth. When that change is caused by an asteroid hitting earth, there isn't much we can do. But when that change is caused by several billion people burning things for a couple centuries, we should take steps to try to slow or stop the damage.

The inevitable mass loss of life due to population growth outpacing the availability of the necessary resources to sustain it will be a tipping point long before whatever the climate change alarmists try to insist is happening will have any tangible effect.

Maybe we will run out of resources. The future availability of water is a very real issue. You're delusional, though, if you don't think that things like food and water and the availability of habitable land are tied into climate change.

Plus, the planet is much more resilient and self-regulating than the alarmists want you to believe.  A drastic reduction of the planet's population, whether by war, disease, famine, etc., will do wonders.

Again, the drastic reduction of population is what we're looking to avoid. You may not miss Bob from accounting, but his kids probably will.
11/14/2014 1:55 PM
11/14/2014 1:56 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Couldn't I say comparing oil accidents to nuclear accidents is like comparing car accidents to plane accidents?

I'm not against exploring nuclear options, I'm just saying, if were talking "safe", nuclear might not be the best option.    Would you live next to a nuclear plant?

11/14/2014 2:23 PM
You didn't answer the question, moyluck23.    Would YOU live by a nuclear plant?
11/14/2014 3:26 PM
Do you live near a beach now?
11/14/2014 3:39 PM
OK, fair enough.

Would you move if they started building a nuclear power plant across the street from where you're at now?
11/14/2014 3:49 PM
This is rather pointless because, regardless of what you say, I know you're not choosing to put your family next to a nuclear plant.   Anyone with the means to avoid living next to a NP would avoid doing it.   They can be 99.99% "safe" but there's no sense in risking that .01%. 
11/14/2014 3:59 PM
50 miles is a long way. 
11/14/2014 4:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...285|286|287|288|289...462 Next ▸
Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.