coaches corner for future reference Topic

9/06
8:52 PM
whompus   The amount of talent within 100 miles of Utah has been crazy the last few seasons
9/06
8:47 PM
buddhagamer   Don't look at me... don't have any schollies this season and not even close to having high enough prestige to even consider it in the past.
9/06
8:39 PM
doomey   Top ten, sorry. And I don't blem him a bit, we've allowed it.
9/06
8:24 PM
doomey   I know we as a conference are dropping the ball vs the MWC when the southern schools let Utah walk away with the in-state haul he did AND leave Him with enough cash to even consider making a play for a top ten kid in the bay area. Incredible.
9/10/2012 11:32 PM
9/07
7:24 AM
shqipta Utah
(MWC)
doomey-IMO what you call "planning", the Fair Play Guidelines define as "collusion." Of course if the PAC10 agrees not to recruit against each other and instead tries to consistently ensure that Utah is engaged in multiple battles ...
9/07
7:24 AM
shqipta Utah
(MWC)
...it will be effective, but that is because it is cheating, not because it is a viable strategy.
9/07
5:32 AM
doomey   I'm just saying that we don't plan well, or for the good of the conference. Instead of going all in on my ineligible on the last cycle, wsut, you could have instead done so on one of his (they were not all locked down hard according to FFS), same ...
9/07
doomey   ...with ams. Instead, I'm down a guy, ams is out money and he's got the best class in the west AND going for a bay area recruit because he has extra cash from not being challenged. We can cover our own rears AND keep the MWC teams in check instead of ...
9/07
doomey   ...weakening ourselves as a conference. If this were the first ime, that would be one thing, but this is an annual affair.
9/07
12:01 AM
amsiegel   I've taken players from Utah some seasons, but I haven't had enough scholarships the last 2 years. This year, I needed a PG and had a very good one instate and needed a big and had the best one in the country 380 miles away. My only intelligent move ...
9/07
amsiegel   ...was to put some $ in them and wait. I ended up with a lot of $ which I planned to throw at a Utah player final cycle if anyone else had given him a battle. Since no one did, I made a half-hearted play at the SD st. PG and now have a lot of $ ...
9/07
amsiegel   ...going to waste. But, the key point, is that I would have lost the guys I actually need if I had made a suicide run at one of the Utah players, none of whom I needed.
9/06
11:59 PM
buddhagamer   Great...looking forward to battling again next season then =(
9/06
11:47 PM
whompus   Id call my class a success, had another elite big considering me only most of the recruiting cycles but Kansas swooped in and didn't want to risk leaving myself vulnerable. Ill take the big carryover and hope there are some decent guys in the PAC NW ...
9/10/2012 11:34 PM
9/07
12:24 PM
sweetpeapapa   ...would have had big time carry over if SDST didn't jump my guy. Still I got a healthy amount, but probably not what whompus has. You probably could have gotten that WYO C whompus if you wanted him with all that cash you must have left over.
9/07
11:17 AM
kmasonbx Notre Dame
(Big 10)
Not stressing it at all, but you're going to have to spend a little bit, :-). Had some money left over, but I feel like you had a ton left over, and with your prestige should get you him.
9/07
10:51 AM
kmasonbx Notre Dame
(Big 10)
siegel, guess we'll find out how much that A+ is really worth. Will be interesting to see if you can go over that magical 1400 mile barrier and take a recruit away from a C- school that's 30 miles away. GL.
9/07
10:44 AM
wsut   doomey, you act like I would have won a kid from Utah if I jumped on him late. I spent $43k on Powell, there's just no way that gets it done out of pipeline against a team with A- prestige, more money, and a distinct distance advantage. He would have ...
9/07
wsut   ...stiff armed me within a few cycles and I'd have been left with one guy instead of two. You got on five of the best kids in California and expected to keep them all? Especially after re-appearing on Teixeira after you were knocked off the first ...
9/07
wsut   ...time. It was a no-brainer. I'm for avoiding conference battles if it makes sense for me. But it didn't this time and hasn't made sense for me in the past. I also think you're underestimating the influence of SDSU, who if you didn't notice, was ...
9/07
wsut   ...waiting for any of us to overextend so he could come in and grab a second player in addition to Teixeira. I'm not going to risk taking three walk-ons just to avoid a conference battle.
9/07
9:13 AM
amsiegel   Look, this is always hard, particularly out west, where there are so few good players. I have had 3 choices: (1) be an aggressive idiot, going after all the good players within 1000 miles; (2) be a selfish *******, jumping on conference foes when ...
9/07
amsiegel   ...they are vulnerable; or (3) recruit conservatively, locking down what I need, saving $ until late, taking some walkons, looking for late opportunities, recruiting vs conference mates only when necessary or when they are already battling each ...
9/07
amsiegel   ...other. Option 3 has been the obvious choice and has worked pretty damn well. I'm not going to pick #1 and would prefer not to have my team in a world where the norm is #2.
9/10/2012 11:37 PM
9/07
1:50 PM
whompus   its possible I could have won the Wyo C but far from a certain thing and every other recruit I had (including the 797 Oregon guy) would have been a sitting duck waiting to get taken
9/07
1:35 PM
doomey   I'm not saying anyone should work against their own interests, wsut, but it aslo isn't in our interest to have MWC conference teams coming in an recruits in our territory or to weaken our conference by taking recruits late and weakening each other's ...
9/07
doomey   ...positions. Instead of making HIM decide on a recruit, you did it to a conference mate. I'm just using Powell as an example, I'm really not that upset about him into himself. 45k and A prestige is a big hammer to use to send a message, my friend. ...
9/07
doomey   ...The mere fact that he had enough cash to get on my guy on the last cycle and win tells you he wasn't protecting all his guys... Shiqpta may think this discussion is about colluding, but it is really just about owning the territory, which he ...
9/07
doomey   ...apparently does right now despite having 7 schools in the neighborhood...
9/07
1:22 PM
doomey   I'm not complaining about my own situation, wsut, I made my mistake going after a juco in Oklahoma. I got on 5 kids with 7 scholarshops, so what? I wasn't deep on any until people jumped on them (SDSU and you). Never assumed I'd get them all, but I ...
9/07
doomey   ...also never dreamed that two would be taken by MWC teams, one in my backyard. I'm definately of the opinion that 43k would have taken one of his guys. Especially if papa and/or had also. Again, it boggles that Utah is now the big dog out west and ...
9/07
doomey   ...that, for instance, you'd rather drop hard and late to battle a conferencemate ineligle that could decide to go JUCO as opposed to doing the same against somone who was exteded over 5 top recruits that WASN'T in conference. I was certainly ...
9/07
doomey   ...planning on it if I did't suddenly have you to deal with that last cycle.
9/07
12:24 PM
sweetpeapapa   I would have jumped on a Utah kid, but there was nobody else battling him. I figured Washington would have jumped on another if I did, but I wasn't sure. I didn't want to open myself to getting poached (which SDST tried anyway for some reason). I ...
9/10/2012 11:39 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
coaches corner for future reference Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.