Five Eras Keeper League w/ prizes (8 in) Topic

The Rosebud Five (edited 10/12/10)

Five seasons:
Season 1: 1885-1909
Season 2: 1910-1934
Season 3: 1935-1959
Season 4: 1960-1984
Season 5: 1985-2010

Five exclusive players drafted each season (can be KEPT)
Snake draft
Other 20 players (non-exclusive) can be filled up to cap
You can use any season that a player has available during that time span. 
120 Cap
no AAA
No DH
yes trades
Live limited to current series
Standard league format
Stadium (drafted each season from period - round 6)
Draft order from random.org (new order each season)
$50 in admin prizes will be awarded after season 5.  Breakdown of prizes to be determined before season 1 draft.
 
Season 2-5: 
Up to five keepers posted.  There is no penalty for keeping players.  An owner may elect to keep five players and then draft five more the next season.

Owners:
1.  harrelson
2.  pmars2001
3.  trentonjoe
4.  teveritt
5.  toddleduc
6.  shawbigred
7.  skunk206 
8.  sgsmith

 

 

 

Anything I missed?

10/28/2010 9:06 PM (edited)
In
10/6/2010 10:40 PM
Couple Questions:

1. Is 1910 used in league 1 and 2 on purpose?
2. How would the $50 in prizes get dispersed?
3. Do you think with a cap that high, teams will looks similar?
10/6/2010 10:44 PM
Trentonjoe
1. mistake, edited.
2.  Going to talk to admin about it to see if funds avail.  If so, I'd like to reward most regular season wins for five seasons but I'm undecided if other prizes besides winner take all.  I'm open to suggestion but I will make a final decision before 1st draft.
3.  I was originally going with 100 but I think with the top 120 players (or closer to 240 in season 2-5) drafted, I think we'll see quite a variety of players drafted to fill the remaining players.


10/6/2010 11:21 PM
I'll play.   


10/7/2010 9:11 AM
Also, there might not be 24 unique stadiums in the early years.   If we have to draft a time specific stadium there may be some overlap.
10/7/2010 9:15 AM
Thanks for all your input Trentonjoe.  I'll check the stadium issue.
10/7/2010 1:01 PM

It looks like there are 26 stadiums available for Season 1.  Much more for season 2 so I figure the rest are good.

10/7/2010 7:13 PM
I'm in Bud
10/8/2010 10:14 AM
Thanks Tom and welcome!
10/8/2010 1:14 PM
Five exclusive players can be kept from season 1 to season 2, correct?  If I have 5 players from 1885-1909, what season do I use of theirs in season 2 (1910-34)?  Or maybe I'm not understanding this ...  And are there enough decent players from the early era to fill up 24 teams?  And is this gonna be a 24-team league?  Would you go with 16 or 20 teams, which would seem to suit the old-timers better?
10/12/2010 2:55 PM (edited)
So first round picks in this draft are going to include Christy Matthewson, Mordecai Brown, Walter Johnson - Guys that have good seasons for the time period but also will have value in the 1910-1934 period.  You are only drafting 5 keepers, and then fill in with the rest.  Should be plenty for for 24 owners.

So say you draft Mordecai Brown 1908 in the first draft.  You keep him for the next round, and use say 1915, or what ever year you prefer. 

Got it?
10/12/2010 5:07 PM
teveritt has it right.  A player can be used in any season that he played during that time span.  Walter Johnson will be drafted for season one and kept for season 2.  Sam Thompson will get drafted in season 1 but he retires before season 2.
10/12/2010 10:30 PM
Posted by Kings_Kid on 10/12/2010 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Five exclusive players can be kept from season 1 to season 2, correct?  If I have 5 players from 1885-1909, what season do I use of theirs in season 2 (1910-34)?  Or maybe I'm not understanding this ...  And are there enough decent players from the early era to fill up 24 teams?  And is this gonna be a 24-team league?  Would you go with 16 or 20 teams, which would seem to suit the old-timers better?

Each season time span is 25 years, so if there are 24 teams, each has the equivalent of an all-star team.  I'm open to switching to 16 or 20 teams but I don't believe it will be necessary.  btw, I think this league will fill once the 2010 new season craze is over.

10/12/2010 10:35 PM
Giddy Up !!!! In like Flynn...
10/20/2010 1:02 AM
12 Next ▸
Five Eras Keeper League w/ prizes (8 in) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.