Rooskie is right on all counts. Free teams is sometimes all there is to entice a new progressive owner. The fact that progressives continue for many many years, and generate pretty regular income, should count for something. I am in a league that is nearing year 10. Not season 10, year 10. It started in 2006 and has been going ever since.
I understand where they are coming from, and how the system could be abused. But each case should be review individually. There is a pretty clear paper trail for everything progressive league commissioners do, and I would think it would be pretty easy to determine that there is nothing nefarious going on.
Running a progressive is a pain in the ***. Tools for progressive owners were promised many years ago and have never materialized. There was a time when some admins were playing in progressive leagues and were in direct communication with progressive league commissioners in an attempt to understand how much work running a progressive can be. That was many years ago though, and nothing came of it.
I don't think the new policy needs to be changed. It just doesn't have to be applied unilaterally. Exceptions need to be made, and giving a team to new progressive owners should be one of them.