Tom Brady Topic

So, when Mahomes stops throwing those (panicked) avoid sack at all cost throws (Kylar Murray anyone??) then He can start to be talked about in top shelf level QB's.

Not til then.
Until then, he's John Elway or Dave Kreig but with wheels!!
Still prone to throws that make you go WTF was he doing!!
2/3/2022 2:54 PM
Posted by Jetson21 on 2/3/2022 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 2/3/2022 2:30:00 PM (view original):
OK, give examples of other QB's being as lucky as Brady. I gave 4 examples where the game is OVER if not for a wacky 1 in a million coincidence that was out of Brady's control. Can you do that with anyone else?
You could if you tried.
Personally i would not even try.
If David Tyree didn't make a "no effing way" catch, brady would have one more.

If Mario Manningham didn't make another 'no effing way, its happening again" catch, brady would have one more.

It works both ways.

2/3/2022 3:01 PM
Tom Brady has thrown more interceptions over the past 4 years than Mahomes btw

Since Mahomes entered the league, he has 151 TD to 36 INT, Brady has 136 TD to 43 INT

Mahomes also has more Y/A, yards per game, more rushing yards, comp %, just across the board better
2/3/2022 3:02 PM
Posted by bottomlee on 2/3/2022 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jetson21 on 2/3/2022 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 2/3/2022 2:30:00 PM (view original):
OK, give examples of other QB's being as lucky as Brady. I gave 4 examples where the game is OVER if not for a wacky 1 in a million coincidence that was out of Brady's control. Can you do that with anyone else?
You could if you tried.
Personally i would not even try.
If David Tyree didn't make a "no effing way" catch, brady would have one more.

If Mario Manningham didn't make another 'no effing way, its happening again" catch, brady would have one more.

It works both ways.

Both of those plays aren't comparable because the game wouldn't have ENDED if those plays weren't catches -the Giants could still have won.

But Brady scored 14 and 17 points in those games, he didn't deserve to win
2/3/2022 3:04 PM
His TEAM scored 14 and 17 Pts. Not Brady. Without Brady at QB how many points do you think his team would have scored those 2 days?
2/3/2022 4:01 PM
Depends on the QB that replaces Brady.

Although I note that the TEAM is NEVER brought up when Brady wins. It's only when he loses that it's on the team.

I would argue that the TEAM was more responsible for a bunch of Brady super bowls.
2/3/2022 4:17 PM
You're not giving the defense in those games any credit?
2/3/2022 4:36 PM
I think you're not
2/3/2022 4:47 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
don't read it if it bothers you, dude.

2/4/2022 12:25 AM
Posted by wylie715 on 2/4/2022 12:25:00 AM (view original):
don't read it if it bothers you, dude.

Doesn't really bother me. Just seems out of place. Agree?
2/5/2022 10:09 PM
No, I don't think a thread about Tom Brady is out of place on a sports website.
2/5/2022 10:37 PM
Posted by tangplay on 2/3/2022 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Depends on the QB that replaces Brady.

Although I note that the TEAM is NEVER brought up when Brady wins. It's only when he loses that it's on the team.

I would argue that the TEAM was more responsible for a bunch of Brady super bowls.
This is what I was going to say.

I do believe Brady has been incredibly lucky in his career. Not for the reasons you have enumerated. He's had some lucky wins in the postseason, but I just don't agree that they are "one in a million" type events. They're mostly just garden-variety lucky games. As has already been discussed, he lost some of those too. That's just what you'd expect from a guy who's started almost twice as many postseason games as any other quarterback in history. Although I would point out that he gets way too much credit for being the youngest QB to start and win a superbowl and getting MVP in that game. He threw for under 150 yards. Yes, he led a great game-winning drive. Credit where it's due, he's always been great under pressure. But that wouldn't even have been necessary if he hadn't been so totally ineffective for virtually the entire game prior to that drive. He had under 100 yards at the 2-minute warning. Of the 2nd half. Ty Law or Willie McGinest clearly should have been the MVP of that game.

The reason Brady was lucky was because he was drafted by a great team with a great coach, and through their combined efforts it remained a great team where veterans regularly took below market value to try to win a Super Bowl. Tom Brady arguably played on more elite teams than any other QB in history, except maybe Terry Bradshaw. Lest we forget, in 2008 the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as the starting quarterback. Matt Cassel was not, as it turned out, good at football. When he left Kansas City and they brought in Alex Smith (and Andy Reid, to be fair) they went from 2 wins (Cassel) to 11 wins (Smith). The Patriots didn't need Tom Brady to be a very good team. Was he a part of the equation that made them the all-time best dynasty? Definitely. But he didn't need to carry the team.

Everybody loves to talk about the fact that Brady was taken in the 6th round. That means anyone could have drafted him. What if he had gone to the Browns? The Jaguars? Bengals? Lions? Washington? Would he still have been TOM BRADY? I know there are plenty of Brady worshippers out there who will absolutely answer yes to this question. Those people are clearly wrong. Nobody was going to succeed with those teams at that time. Guys drafted in the 6th round don't tend to get 2nd and 3rd chances to prove themselves. What if he'd been drafted by the Packers? He might well never have started a game. Tom Brady was all-time lucky in terms of the circumstances in which he found himself throughout his career.

Brady is the greatest player in NFL history by virtue of his longevity and consistency. I think it's important to define what we mean by GOAT, though. Interestingly enough, I think there's a valid argument that he was never at any point in his career the best quarterback in the league. Early he was clearly behind Manning. Manning peaked earlier than Brady, and I actually think peak Manning vs. peak Brady is still an interesting question. I'd probably still lean towards Peyton, but it's really really close. But by the time Brady was hitting that peak, Aaron Rodgers was doing his thing. I would say that probably for one year in 2007 Brady was actually the best quarterback in football. I don't think he's in the discussion for best passer of all time. Rodgers clearly is. Mahomes probably will be, I think his sample size is probably still too small. Marino belongs in that conversation. I know a lot of people would put Montana in the mix. I've always had a soft spot for Elway, but he probably had too much Favre-y recklessness in him. But I think all of those dudes have been, at parts of their careers, better quarterbacks than Brady ever was.
2/6/2022 12:07 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by lostnfound74 on 2/6/2022 5:14:00 AM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 2/5/2022 10:37:00 PM (view original):
No, I don't think a thread about Tom Brady is out of place on a sports website.
but Wylie, this IS a NoN Sports forum. You can read that, right??

In case you missed it, I copied it from the Title:

Non-Sports
Non-Sports

Are you able to see it now?
Aren’t you being a little bit too conservative.
Listen to what Sgt. Hulka said and relax.
A little bit of veering off track once in a while is not a capitol crime.
2/6/2022 8:23 AM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12|13 Next ▸
Tom Brady Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.