Full 3.0 New Player Guide Topic

Posted by shoe3 on 4/8/2021 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by A_B_G on 4/7/2021 10:05:00 PM (view original):
This is phenomenal. I definitely agree about Passing being absolutely the highest priority at PG, especially at lower levels. I can live with a guy with mediocre BH if their PA is high. And, additionally, I’ve noticed that high Passing is the “rarest” attribute there is to find in recruiting. I usually have no trouble finding high ATH/DEF, PER, LP, etc. but for whatever reason high passing is always a scavenger hunt. May be a personal problem but curious what others think about that.
Passing is often the last missing piece of the puzzle in my almost-championship caliber teams, I’ve found. The most disappointing teams I’ve had are the ones that lacked a true point guard, and/or have mediocre team passing.

I find that the amount of BH needed from a guard is generally based on how much scoring you need. If you don’t need a guard to score, fairly low BH doesn’t really hurt. They’ll get plenty of assists with good passing, and the offense seems to function fine. But the more distribution you give a guard with low BH, the more turnovers, and lower fg%; true whether he’s at the pg or sg slot.
This kid is a great example of how a combo of SPD/PASS/ST can be pretty solid in a PG at D3 despite poor BH: https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Ratings.aspx?pid=4491605

I relied him on for scoring a little too heavily (though I can't complain, he was pretty efficient) - if I had used him as a true point that AST/TO ratio would be a bit better.
4/13/2021 11:04 PM
Bump
4/15/2021 6:46 PM
Bump
4/19/2021 1:15 AM

I never look at shot blocking. Ath, Reb, Def overrides Shot blocking by a large %. If I happen to land a big that has green Shot blocking it is just a coincidence. Because I never looked at it.
4/19/2021 4:05 PM
Agree with skinndogg.

And belated thanks to cubcub for putting this post together. Nice work.
4/21/2021 9:09 PM
One of the best posts I’ve ever seen. Very well done!
4/27/2021 7:44 AM
Why isn't this pinned?

side note- aejones was legendary in the gaming community
5/11/2021 10:10 PM
pin?
1/16/2022 1:39 PM
If this is going to be pinned.....

Dear HD headquarters, as gil previously mentioned, can you please remove the pinned thread regarding the promotional deal? The deal is no longer running (I believe you told us that) and it takes up space that could be used for more helpful threads such as this one. Also, you could probably go ahead and remove the "New Mentor thread" that I revised a bit. At the time of pinning, it seemed to be a great idea. But discord was just getting started. And now, you can see that not many are interested in the mentor thread. It doesn't get many views and there are other avenues in which new coaches can use to find the help they seek.

Signed,
TopDogg
1/17/2022 3:06 AM
It’s DIII but I’m going to disagree with where cubcub says bigs with LP 20-30 will not be good scorers.

behold the exception:

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?tid=6745&pid=4969377
1/17/2022 7:38 AM
Posted by topdogggbm on 1/17/2022 3:06:00 AM (view original):

Dear HD headquarters, as gil previously mentioned, can you please remove the pinned thread regarding the promotional deal? The deal is no longer running (I believe you told us that) and it takes up space that could be used for more helpful threads such as this one. Also, you could probably go ahead and remove the "New Mentor thread" that I revised a bit. At the time of pinning, it seemed to be a great idea. But discord was just getting started. And now, you can see that not many are interested in the mentor thread. It doesn't get many views and there are other avenues in which new coaches can use to find the help they seek.

Signed,
TopDogg
Selfishly, Id also like to see my guide pinned too but I agree it's getting crowded up there. A more thoughtful approach might be a single post from the admin with links to all of the various guides (this, mine, chapels, aejones) with a very short description of who should be using it and what is contained. I think a link to the mentor lists could still be pinned or included therein.

They have asked for help in giving helpful content. I think we have done that. Would be nice to see it displayed in a way that is useful to everyone.
1/17/2022 11:16 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 1/17/2022 7:38:00 AM (view original):
It’s DIII but I’m going to disagree with where cubcub says bigs with LP 20-30 will not be good scorers.

behold the exception:

I guess it depends on how you’re defining “good scorer”. 45% FG% is not good efficiency from a post player, at any division, so his volume of points are coming from a higher-than-optimal distribution. Cut his distribution down by 33-50%, and you will see better results from your offense, under normal circumstances.
1/17/2022 11:51 AM
Posted by texashick on 1/17/2022 11:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by topdogggbm on 1/17/2022 3:06:00 AM (view original):

Signed,
TopDogg
Selfishly, Id also like to see my guide pinned too but I agree it's getting crowded up there. A more thoughtful approach might be a single post from the admin with links to all of the various guides (this, mine, chapels, aejones) with a very short description of who should be using it and what is contained. I think a link to the mentor lists could still be pinned or included therein.

They have asked for help in giving helpful content. I think we have done that. Would be nice to see it displayed in a way that is useful to everyone.
Your guide is also elite. We should combine them into one post and open a support ticket.

Then Promo Deal needs to be removed, and I agree the Mentor thread should also be removed.
1/17/2022 4:06 PM

behold the exception:

I agree I completely overgeneralized, and this guy will be solid (as a senior especially) but you do need to turn the distro down in the short term for him. Low FG% and turnover machine. But given he's averaging 12 you can decrease it to 6-8 and he'll be scoring solidly at good efficiency.
1/17/2022 4:08 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 1/17/2022 4:08:00 PM (view original):

behold the exception:

I agree I completely overgeneralized, and this guy will be solid (as a senior especially) but you do need to turn the distro down in the short term for him. Low FG% and turnover machine. But given he's averaging 12 you can decrease it to 6-8 and he'll be scoring solidly at good efficiency.
Yes distro too high. Agree that 45% is not elite from bigs at all. And 2 TOs is too much from a big
1/17/2022 9:51 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Full 3.0 New Player Guide Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.