Posted by Landry19 on 11/12/2021 6:48:00 PM (view original):
From what I understand Koufax, quite possibly, might never be drafted.
When/if he gets taken, IF the random year is 1955, he plays for 5 years and then disappears forever.
Those random rookie players do NOT go back into the draft pool.
I think you may be correct. I had miss read or just missed that part of the rules, so it doesn’t look like some players like Koufax just probably won’t be drafted. It could be fun to allow those guys to go back into the pool with all the other free agents, but I refer back to the commissioner as it is a lot of recordkeeping and I can understand why wouldn’t necessarily want that.
I had originally read that rule to refer to the year in general. So if that year 1955 was selected,it could never be selected again in a future random draw.
Example - 1970 is the first year of play so rookies will be included for one of the following years: 1890, 1910, 1930, 1950, 1990 or 2010. 1971 is the second year of play so 1891, 1911, 1931, 1951, 1991 or 2011 will be the year of the random rookie.
You only get one bite at the apple in regard to the random rookies from years past. The random year rookies will not re-enter the draft once their eligibility expires. The exception is rookies from the future - they will cycle in to the league in the appropriate year of play.
So I saw that to mean that in 1995, 1955 wouldn’t be available for a 2nd time
11/12/2021 11:32 PM (edited)