1904 Prog w/1984 All Stars! Full Topic

Posted by midknight on 2/6/2025 8:27:00 PM (view original):
I'll play - sounds interesting.

A couple of questions:
  1. Will the initial draft be a snake draft?
  2. Regarding the 54 shorted players, instead of $200K players, would you consider allowing players from 1984 with salaries up to $500-$750? No studs, but a little more respectable backup players. They would not be held over season to season.
I did a little research and this is what I found and kinda decided.

1. There are plenty of PA and IP, just not bodies. Each team should have an average of over 800 PA per position. Now, I realize someone might take two 2b or something like that but there's enough PA to go around for everyone.
2. The reason there aren't enough bodies is because the MLB roster wasn't 25 in 1904. The Giants actually had 25 (or 27 I can't remember) players over the season but only 20 of them have enough PA or IP to make the WIS database. Interestingly enough, I did learn the HOF'er Jim O'Rourke played on that team. He was 53. He got a hit. He also had a law degree from Yale. His wikipedia page is interesting. Just saying.
3. I am in the process of putting together a list of players to be "roster fillers". They are all bad but, I don't know, playable? You'll only want to play them as a last resort. I don't like the idea of AAA in this league or really any players that could somehow contribute. I want the old timers to play. The parameters I am using for the list are:
  • Last season in the WIS database (I don't want anyone, and I mean me, getting confused and thinking you, I, can keep them)
  • No HR's
  • D in Fielding
  • low OBP and BA
  • Nothing approaching league average in ability
4. We will all use these guys to be roster fillers. There will be no restrictions on using them but you won't want to.
5. I'll post the dudes later today or tomorrow.
2/7/2025 9:21 AM
Here are the universal scrubs. You can use these guys to fill out rosters.

Player Team B PA/162 HR AVG AB/162 OBP SLG SO/100 SPD Salary C 1B 2B 3B SS OF
Poquette, Tom 1982 Kansas City Royals L 69 0 0.145 62 0.206 0.161 8.06 72 $203,278 -- -- -- -- -- D/C-
Berardino, Johnny 1952 Pittsburgh Pirates R 108 0 0.125 93 0.245 0.17 15.91 63 $213,389 -- D-/D- D/D- D+/D- D/D- --
Oldfield, Dave 1886 Washington Nationals S 103 0 0.141 96 0.197 0.169 21.13 47 $219,346 D/A/D- -- -- -- D-/D- D-/D+
Barton, Daric 2014 Oakland Athletics L 64 0 0.158 57 0.234 0.175 24.56 53 $204,121 -- D/D- -- -- -- --
Schmees, George 1952 St. Louis Browns L 67 0 0.131 65 0.159 0.18 29.51 70 $201,083 -- D-/D- -- -- -- D/D-
Player Team T IP/162 W L SV ERA WHIP OAV K/9 IP/G BB/9 Salary F/R
Wiltse, Snake 1903 New York Highlanders L 31 0 3 1 5.4 1.64 0.33 2.16 6.25 2.16 $217,950 B/C
Jordan, Taylor 2014 Washington Nationals R 26 0 3 0 5.61 1.64 0.309 5.96 5.13 2.81 $221,792 B/D
2/7/2025 3:13 PM
A little more digging found that only 43(ish) players leave the league in 1904 and 108 will join 1905. That puts us over the magic #. I don't think the universal scrubs will be needed much if any after that.
2/7/2025 3:23 PM
Count me as a wannabe
2/7/2025 7:10 PM
I can do that.
2/8/2025 7:56 AM
I'm in
2/8/2025 8:34 AM
Awesome! Thanks man!
2/8/2025 9:05 AM
Just some random thoughts in the player pool:

1. there are more Patsy’s and Claude’s than I thought there would be-in 1904.
2. I am really interested to see how the modern guys (I am looking at you Tim Wallach) with low BA’s but 30ish HRs do. I think there’s going to be a lot of doubles.
3. “Wahoo” Sam Crawford got his name because he’s from Wahoo, NE.
4. I have no idea how to rank/rate the pitchers. The 1904 guys don’t walk anyone and the hr/9 is sooo low. I feel a little like I am guessing.
5. I want Dwight Gooden to dominate so bad.
6. I had forgotten how good Don Mattingly was.
7. I fancy myself a bit of a baseball historian but I had no idea Sherry Magee was a person and so darn good at hitting a baseball.

That is all, expect random musing like this in the league. When given a soapbox, I try to use it.
2/9/2025 7:50 AM
Pretty close to filling! I am pumped!
2/10/2025 9:15 PM
Available Ballparks
Ballpark (Location) Franchise (Years) Effects Park
Factor
1B 2B 3B HR LF HR RF
Exposition Park (III)
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh Pirates
1891-1909
0 0 0 -2 -2 0.98
Polo Grounds (IV)
New York, NY
New York Giants
1891-1911
-1 1 0 -1 -1 0.98
Robison Field
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis Cardinals
1893-1920
-1 0 0 -1 2 0.97
South End Grounds III
Boston, MA
Boston Braves
1894-1914
2 0 1 -1 -1 1.07
West Side Grounds
Chicago, IL
Chicago Cubs
1894-1915
0 0 0 -1 0 0.98
Baker Bowl
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia Phillies
1895-1938
0 4 1 2 1 1.14
Washington Park III
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Dodgers
1898-1912
-1 0 0 -1 1 0.97
Bennett Park
Detroit, MI
Detroit Tigers
1901-1911
1 0 -2 3 3 1.02
Columbia Park
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia Athletics
1901-1908
1 0 0 0 0 1.02
Huntington Ave Baseball Grounds
Boston, MA
Boston Red Sox
1901-1911
1 0 0 0 0 1.01
League Park (I)
Cleveland, OH
Cleveland Indians
1901-1909
0 0 0 0 0 1.01
South Side Park (III)
Chicago, IL
Chicago White Sox
1901-1910
-3 -1 1 0 0 0.9
Palace of the Fans
Cincinnati, OH
Cincinnati Reds
1902-1911
2 4 3 -3 -3 1.08
Sportsman's Park (II)
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis Browns
1902-1908
-2 0 1 0 0 0.93
American League Park (II)
Washington D.C.
Washington Senators
1903-1910
-2 0 1 0 0 0.94
Hilltop Park
New York, NY
New York Yankees
1903-1912
3 3 3 0 -3 1.14
Candlestick Park
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco Giants
1960-1995
-1 0 -1 0 0 0.95
2/11/2025 8:49 PM
Will franchises move when the team moves in RL? Or will we be given the option to relocate, but not forced?
2/11/2025 11:20 PM
I don’t think we will force anyone to change stadiums but the new ones will be available as they open.
2/12/2025 7:35 AM
This league is set up and ready to go! The available players, draft board, private forum, and draft order is set. All you need to do it sign up (and maybe bring a friend!).

Once you sign up, I can give you access to the private forum and your draft slot!
2/12/2025 10:38 AM
i'll play
2/14/2025 9:34 PM
I'll give this a try!
2/15/2025 11:36 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
1904 Prog w/1984 All Stars! Full Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.