Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

bistiza, also, please stop conveniently IGNORING every post made about how players in this game really DO have differences in how they will react to PT as juniors, and how you CAN discover those things. thats what you said you wanted, originally (ok, not originally, but maybe the second or third time). well, you have it. so now the truth comes out. you just are ****** you have to deal with this player losing work ethic (which, by the way, doesn't impact their performance, and most upperclassmen are nearly maxed so it shouldnt really matter), and so you are going off on this tangent. just admit it already, stop making an *** of yourself. or at least, address the points laid in front of you, and stop railing about how nobody else addresses the points laid in front of them. stop being such a god damn hypocrite!
9/4/2012 3:38 PM

I've never seen a difference in how players react to playing time. It may exist, but I haven't seen it. If it exists, there isn't any way to know which players would react in what way.

Even if it exists, it doesn't address the problem of my specific situation.

I'm not being a hypocrite at all. I don't hold anyone to any standard I don't have for myself.

9/4/2012 3:41 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/4/2012 3:38:00 PM (view original):
llama,

This thing called the internet allows you to do research fairly easily. Check out logical fallacies. You may want to check out specifically "straw man" and "bandwagon", but there are a whole host of logical fallacies at work here, and this grand old internet can teach you all about them.

?you have a mediocre team with mediocre prestige and mediocre players...
My team is the ninth most talented in DIII by ratings. That's not mediocre by any standard.

In fact, the teams talent and ability is the chief "problem" which has resulted in the player in question playing less minutes than he'd like.

milkamania,

I said he exists  not because he probably exists, but because PROBABILITY indicates he would exist. Go look up the definition of statistical probability and then come back and respond once you've done that and you'll make more sense.

nice, continue ignoring the points of posts, and continue living in your dream world.

9th most talented and by ratings DONT FIT IN THE SAME SENTENCE. overall ratings have VERY LITTLE to do with the quality of the team.

but lets go with it, your way. you have the 9th most talented team, yet you are SUCH A ****** COACH that you coach them to 59 rpi. nice job. stand up and take a bow! guys, lets give bistiza a round of applause, he has the 9th most talented team, and with his awesome coaching, he is coaching them right to the PIT!!

no wonder your player is ********. if i was playing for a coach who was running the team into the ground, i would complain that i didn't play, too. your player probably is sitting there going, you know, im not that good, but i have to be able to go out there and do better than this sorry excuse for a coach is doing with this team. can you blame him?

or do you want to change you opinion yet again, and concede THE MOST OBVIOUS DAMN POINT IN THE WORLD, that your team is NOT great, and NOT EVEN CLOSE.
9/4/2012 3:42 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/4/2012 3:18:00 PM (view original):
rednation,

Of course he's in a third string position. He won't be next year, though.

Sometimes things happen that way. Sometimes you don't get what you want when you want it.

Personally I think the sooner real life kids learn those life lessons, the better off they'll be.

As for in the sim, I'll play who I want when I want. But if he is less effective next year or transfers and doesn't play for me, I'm going to be unhappy about it because I don't think it's realistic at all.
In real life a third string d3 kid is more likely to quit your team and transfer somewhere else rather than learn your life lesson and play 10mpg as a junior, especially considering that he's probably paying his own way in d3.

As far as the sim yes you can play who you want but in the simulation programming dictates an upperclassman will be unhappy playing third string as well. You do what you like but there are always consequences. In this case, I don't see the value of a third string upperclassman whining about minutes. You can always cut him as he must be terrible at playing bball. I also don't understand why you'd be upset he transfers or think its unrealistic. You're treating the guy like trash. Why wouldn't he leave? And to make it worse if you're doing this to him and not winning or not having great postseason success, what are you really saying here?
9/4/2012 3:42 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/4/2012 3:41:00 PM (view original):

I've never seen a difference in how players react to playing time. It may exist, but I haven't seen it. If it exists, there isn't any way to know which players would react in what way.

Even if it exists, it doesn't address the problem of my specific situation.

I'm not being a hypocrite at all. I don't hold anyone to any standard I don't have for myself.

uh, someone posted earlier, about page 16, with an example for you, showing juniors react differently. there is a way to know which players would react that way, you just aren't smart enough to know how. deal with that one, Your Lordship.

but yeah, even though there is a system just like you requested at the start of this, it does not address your specific situation. your specific situation is that you are a whiner and aren't getting what you want, so you are throwing a tantrum. good grief. grow up already. you can't always get what you want. maybe you should take your own advice and instead of complaining, you should work harder to be more successful. OH MY GOD WHAT A CONCEPT.
9/4/2012 3:44 PM
I don't think you know what the word "logic" means.  Fallacy you seem to be good on, but the whole logic thing really eludes you based on things you are calling "logical" that aren't based on logic whatsoever.  I'm not saying they're illogical.  It's just that they aren't even remotely similar to what would generally be considered a logical construct.
9/4/2012 3:44 PM
alogical?
9/4/2012 3:46 PM
or do you want to change you opinion yet again, and concede THE MOST OBVIOUS DAMN POINT IN THE WORLD, that your team is NOT great, and NOT EVEN CLOSE.

My team is doing just fine and I'm satsified with their performance. Sure, I would have liked for them to have won a few more games, but that's the way it goes sometimes. What you think of the team doesn't matter to me.
You can always cut him as he must be terrible at playing bball.

ACtually, he's not bad, which is why I wasn't happy with the scenario the sim put me in, hence this thread to discuss it.
 I also don't understand why you'd be upset he transfers or think its unrealistic.

Because I plan to use him next season. I already said that.

My team is winning. Sure, I expected them to win even more, but as I said, sometimes it doesn't happen.
there is a way to know which players would react that way, you just aren't smart enough to know how. deal with that one

You're making that one up or you'd be saying what it is to show you're right.
your specific situation is that you are a whiner and aren't getting what you want, so you are throwing a tantrum. good grief. grow up already. you can't always get what you want. maybe you should take your own advice and instead of complaining, you should work harder. 

Again with the personal attacks. That's always a sure sign I gave someone a good thrashing in a debate - when they've got nothing left and they are so frustrated they feel they must resort to personal attacks.

gillespie, perhaps you should just agree to disagree as I am willing to do and move on. There's nothing left if all you have are cheap insults.

9/4/2012 3:54 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/4/2012 3:44:00 PM (view original):
I don't think you know what the word "logic" means.  Fallacy you seem to be good on, but the whole logic thing really eludes you based on things you are calling "logical" that aren't based on logic whatsoever.  I'm not saying they're illogical.  It's just that they aren't even remotely similar to what would generally be considered a logical construct.
he knows what logic means. logic means that players should be willing to sacrifice for a great coach (meaning bistiza), and for a great team (meaning his team), and that a great coach with a great team who is so fantastically motivated will take the 9th most talented team to a fantastic 59 rpi.

thats what logic means. it just so happens that he is talking about logic, as it exists in his fantasy world in his simulated world. not logic in our world. really, we are the fools, because this whole time we have been arguing about logic and reason like it is in our world. instead, we should have been using the logic and reason as it exists in bistiza's head. let me give you an example.

ASDKFJASLDKFJASKDLFNAKSETNKAL$#JKJ#$KASDFKJASFDK.  I AM A GREAT COACH WITH A GREAT TEAM, THATS WHY WE ARE GOING TO THE PIT. PIT STANDS FOR "THE BEST TOURNAMENT EVER". THE NT IS FOR SUCKERS WHO PUT WINNING ABOVE TEAMSMANSHIP. NT STANDS FOR EL TOURNAMENTE DE SELFISHE RETARDEE. BOTTOM LINE, EVERYONE IN THE NT IS A DUMBASS AND SHOULD REPENT THEIR SINS TO HIS HOLY MASTER. HIS HOLY MASTER IS THE MASTER OF LOGIC AND ANYONE WITH TEAMS WHO ACTUALLY MAKE THE NT IS A LOGICAL FALLACY. BOTTOM LINE, YOU MUST MAKE A JOURNEY TO CONFESS YOUR SINS, A JOURNEY TO THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE, NAZI GERMANY. GOOD LUCK FINDING A TIME MACHINE! I HAVE ONE, BECAUSE I AM THE HOLY LORDSHIP AND MASTER OF ALL THINGS LOGICAL. BUT YOU DONT BECAUSE YOU ARE SIMULATED. BWAHAHAHA. BOTTOM LINE, IT MUST BE TRUE BECAUSE I WOULD SAY IT WAS TRUE IF YOU CONVINCED ME IF IT WAS TRUE AND YOU DIDNT SO I DIDNT. aksdfj;asdlkjhsdaflkh34298y23104hlKJHF8AY5HLIAHSDLFK

see how its done?

9/4/2012 4:07 PM (edited)
You may have already said you plan to use him next season... but it still doesn't make sense. What difference does next season make if he can't play this season as a JR? You say he's not that bad but he's a 3rd string JR... he can't be all that great either.
9/4/2012 3:58 PM
gillespie is one of the best coaches this game has ever seen - you should probably care a little about what he thinks of your team.  Even though it really isn't your team - you like touting that "9th best rating" stat around, but really that credit goes to rliedtky, not you, given this is your first season there and your recruits are terrible.

You recruited:
A slow PG that can't shoot, can't dribble and can't pass.
A PF that isn't particularly good at anything.
A Jr PF that isn't terrible career role player.

Good work.

9/4/2012 3:58 PM
Posted by rednation58 on 9/4/2012 3:58:00 PM (view original):
You may have already said you plan to use him next season... but it still doesn't make sense. What difference does next season make if he can't play this season as a JR? You say he's not that bad but he's a 3rd string JR... he can't be all that great either.
yeah, actually the player in question is total ****, as would be expected from a player who isnt allowed to play as a junior. if bistiza was a good coach (i know, i know, stop living in a fantasy world in a simulated world), he would recruit a decent freshman and give him the playing time, because that senior will suck bad enough to only be marginally better than a decent freshman, and you want the freshman who will one day be worth a **** to improve faster.
9/4/2012 4:06 PM
there is a way to know which players would react that way, you just aren't smart enough to know how. deal with that one

You're making that one up or you'd be saying what it is to show you're right.

He's not making that one up, the language in the h.s. coach e-mails and scouting visits can tell you whether a kid will be likely to take a big work ethic hit if he doesn't play much.  That's likely, but not certain, and it shouldn't be certain.  A 17-year-old kid may tell you he'd be okay with not playing or not playing very much, but three years later he may have changed his mind.  You can't predict that with certainty.

You just have to know the implications of other information provided to you by the h.s. coach or your own assistant.  The messages are not the least bit subtle.
9/4/2012 4:11 PM (edited)
Posted by bistiza on 9/4/2012 3:38:00 PM (view original):
llama,

This thing called the internet allows you to do research fairly easily. Check out logical fallacies. You may want to check out specifically "straw man" and "bandwagon", but there are a whole host of logical fallacies at work here, and this grand old internet can teach you all about them.

?you have a mediocre team with mediocre prestige and mediocre players...
My team is the ninth most talented in DIII by ratings. That's not mediocre by any standard.

In fact, the teams talent and ability is the chief "problem" which has resulted in the player in question playing less minutes than he'd like.

milkamania,

I said he exists  not because he probably exists, but because PROBABILITY indicates he would exist. Go look up the definition of statistical probability and then come back and respond once you've done that and you'll make more sense.

Wait ... Wait ... You have been here HOW long and you still use total ratings as an adequate measure of team quality????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

And moreover ..if it is such an all-fired superior roster, why do you have a 17-9 record against a number 56 SOS?
9/4/2012 4:12 PM (edited)
bistiza - calling a team "great" (your words) and saying:
My team is doing just fine and I'm satsified with their performance. Sure, I would have liked for them to have won a few more games, but that's the way it goes sometimes. What you think of the team doesn't matter to me. (also your worlds)

are totally different. are you that stubborn, that you cannot even concede that point?
 yes, yes you are (if not, prove me wrong, and concede it already). im not the guy who claimed to be a great coach earlier in the thread, and who later claimed to have a great team, but sits here with the 59 rpi in d3. drop both greats, and we can at least continue without you making yourself out to be so pompous.

if you want to change your stance (again)
 to say, i think my **** junior should be happy to play for my mediocre (or even you can say, moderately good, decent, not total ****, any of those will fly) team, then thats one thing. but your last statement was -
" Very few real players would complain over five minutes of playing time, and even if they did, they wouldn't lose that much effort over it. They'd talk to the coach and probably concede the five minutes because they play for a great team and will get more minutes their senior year. "

care to amend? and dont tell us you didn't amend, unless you want us to tell you you are a straight-up liar. this was your earlier stance:
"Athletes in real life should NEVER lose their work ethic because they assume it might not lead somewhere, unless we're talking kids under the age of 12 or so.

If I coached a team in real life and found out someone wasn't give it their all when they should just because they didn't think it would go anywhere, I'd probably want to kick him off the team. "

well, you've "added information" to the effect that "never"
 is not "never" (the rest of us living on planet earth call that change, but sure, go with providing additional information. im sure a lawyer has argued that the definition of never is not unambiguous, and provided more information, clarifying a prior statement... so why cant you?). 

why don't you take your own suggestion... AND
 KICK HIM OFF THE TEAM? and be done with it? its amazing how the solution is obvious to you one minute, and so far from obvious the next.

anyway, since you've already changed your statements, why not change it once more, instead of continuing to support this silly claim about your teams greatness?

9/4/2012 4:22 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...32 Next ▸
Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.