Full 3.0 New Player Guide Topic

updated player game plan and scheduling
1/20/2022 3:05 PM
About to start the game at DIII for the first time and enter scouting/recruiting and I remain confused.

The OP says, "At D3, D3 projected players generally end up being unsignable, so most coaches tend to focus on scouting projected D1 players or projected D2 players."

1) Am I correct that this is in error and should say that DI players are basically unsignable for those coaching in DIII, and that DIII coaches should focus on scouting DIII and DII?

2) How likely am I to sign DII? Am I able to host two private camps - one for each level? If not, will I be able to sign enough solid DII players to only scout there?
3/6/2022 10:32 AM
First, welcome to HD, bugs!

I'm way less experienced at 3.0 than many others, but here is what I can share in my limited D3 experience under the latest release.

1) No, the OP is correct. What he means by "unsignable" is that they aren't going to be very good in most cases and it's generally not worth it to spend scouting dollars on projected D3 players. D3's can and do routinely sign projected D1 players. Projected D1's won't sign with a D3 until the final 24 hours of RS2 so it does require patience and choosing your battles very carefully.

FWIW, I find scouting dollars to be considerably more important that recruiting dollars at D3. You can sign players - good players - off of APs alone in the right situations without spending a dollar from your recruiting budget.

2) You are very likely to be able to sign a D2, and even a D1, at D3. When you run a private camp, you can choose what level of players to invite, and you can combine levels, so you don't need to run separate camps. There are competing opinions on whether or not you need to get players scouted to L4 in D3, but you at the very least need to get as many scouted to L3 as possible. There are also several opinions on how you should spend your scouting dollars (specifically, camps vs. assistant search) but so far I've found that the right approach seems to be relative to your geographical area.
3/6/2022 1:47 PM (edited)
1) Yeah, in cubese, “unsignable” = “you can easily sign this player, but you don’t want to”.

2) You can live mostly on lower D1 recruits, with a few select D2 thrown in. You have to be willing to move off of the good D1 players though. Don’t invest dollars too early. The big key of moving up quickly at lower levels is figuring out how to place these players, how likely better teams will end up going after them, and avoiding *unwinnable* battles.

In California, a private camp could be a good idea. You won’t pull from a bunch of states, so you won’t have a ton of FSS to do. You can’t do 2 separate camps, but you could theoretically invite both D2 and D1 players to your camp. (I would stick to just D1 personally, and scout D2 separately).

Here’s a more detailed description of what I recommend at D3. As noted above, there are other good ways to do it, this one works well for me, and a number of others.
3/6/2022 1:45 PM
Recruiting section updated. Thanks to chapellhillne.
3/23/2022 2:53 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 3/6/2022 1:47:00 PM (view original):
1) Yeah, in cubese, “unsignable” = “you can easily sign this player, but you don’t want to”.

2) You can live mostly on lower D1 recruits, with a few select D2 thrown in. You have to be willing to move off of the good D1 players though. Don’t invest dollars too early. The big key of moving up quickly at lower levels is figuring out how to place these players, how likely better teams will end up going after them, and avoiding *unwinnable* battles.

In California, a private camp could be a good idea. You won’t pull from a bunch of states, so you won’t have a ton of FSS to do. You can’t do 2 separate camps, but you could theoretically invite both D2 and D1 players to your camp. (I would stick to just D1 personally, and scout D2 separately).

Here’s a more detailed description of what I recommend at D3. As noted above, there are other good ways to do it, this one works well for me, and a number of others.
(1) Thanks guys, I updated this so it is more clear.
3/23/2022 2:54 PM
what's fss?
3/24/2022 4:09 AM
Future Stars Scouting, basically HDs version of a scouting service. If you hover over your recruit tab, then hover over scouting, you will see scouting service. You can also find it by clicking scouting and clicking scouting service from that page. If you are looking at a map of the United States with numbers on it, you're good to go, those numbers are the current amount of available recruits in those states.

3/24/2022 6:25 AM
Posted by deejazz80 on 3/24/2022 4:09:00 AM (view original):
what's fss?
FSS is the simplest scouting action. You click on a state and a projected division and gain 1 level of scouting for each player that fits the criteria.
3/24/2022 8:40 AM
Thanks for the help!
3/24/2022 2:43 PM
added new section titled "Player Development"
added more detail to "Recruiting Strategy" section
3/31/2022 11:54 AM
added a lot of info, and created two new sections: "Recruiting Budgets" and "General Advice."
3/31/2022 5:01 PM
I should know this but I don't, and I can't find a specific answer easily.

If you run a private camp, it will scout recruits up to level 2 for $60 per recruit.

Public camps cost around $25 per recruit, but I can't find any specific information as to whether they also scout up to level 2. Who can confirm that about public camps?
4/4/2022 6:28 PM
Can someone clarify this first couple of sentences concerning scoring traits please

"Scoring can be either Perimeter based (outside) or Low Post based (inside). Other than PER, Spd/Bh/Pa (in that order) are really important for shooters. Other than LP, Ath/Per/Spd/Bh are really important for interior scorers. Note that guards can score better down low with lower LP than bigs."
6/1/2024 10:59 AM
Posted by kwheeler on 6/1/2024 10:59:00 AM (view original):
Can someone clarify this first couple of sentences concerning scoring traits please

"Scoring can be either Perimeter based (outside) or Low Post based (inside). Other than PER, Spd/Bh/Pa (in that order) are really important for shooters. Other than LP, Ath/Per/Spd/Bh are really important for interior scorers. Note that guards can score better down low with lower LP than bigs."
Perimeter is one aspect of a player's ability to score from the outside. From the recent developer Q&A - "Speed, Perimeter, and Ball Handling are factors that determine if a player will attempt a 3-pointer over a fg. Perimeter, BallHandling, Athleticism, and IQ are the factors that will determine if they make it." Not listed, stamina also plays a good part in keeping good shooters from fatiguing.. thus, more 3s made.

For big men, low post is the biggest factor. However, ath/spd/BH/IQ all matter for scoring as well as FT and Stamina.

Now, if you're looking for a guard who can slash. Ath/spd/LP/BH/IQ all matter (as well as stamina/FT). But a D1 guard can get away with, say 50LP with 80-90 in ath/spd/bh.. while a big man needs that 90 LP but can sacrifice spd/bh.

Hope that helps! Join the discord here to get easier and faster tips!

6/2/2024 3:31 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Full 3.0 New Player Guide Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.