Icon/ 1989 Progressive League Warning Topic

I don't remember what year I joined this progressive league. I think it was in the 60s (could have been the 50s), but let's say it was 69 to make the math easier.

At least 20 years invested in this progressive league. Using 6 packs to keep the cost down, that's 179.85 for three 6 packs and another $25.90 for the 2 other seasons. Not even considering the time investment (these drafts are labor intensive), that's over $200 invested into a progressive where the commish can just take it away for any reason (and that is literally ANY reason). If they have a friend that wants the team? You're gone. Nothing you can do about it.
6/29/2022 10:18 AM
If a large majority of the league prefers you exit. They should proceed without you.

if you and epup hate/dislike each other, but you are a good owner, the franchise should be yours still.

being a passionate owner has its pluses and minuses. You and others have to live with it.
Coexist.

I would have liked to have read the epup version of events,you denied him that opportunity here.
6/29/2022 11:20 AM (edited)
Posted by coldfoot on 6/29/2022 11:20:00 AM (view original):
If a large majority of the league prefers you exit. They should proceed without you.

if you and epup hate/dislike each other, but you are a good owner, the franchise should be yours still.

being a passionate owner has its pluses and minuses. You and others have to live with it.
Coexist.

I would have liked to have read the epup version of events,you denied him that opportunity here.
I did not. His post was off topic. WIS ultimately removed it (them?) while allowing others to remain. I guess you can interpret that as you wish...

If you read the posts from others in the league I believe they are fair even if I don't agree with everything in them. Nobody expected me to be removed and I'd be willing to bet that few outside of the commish and former commish would have wanted me removed.
6/29/2022 11:49 AM (edited)
That does sound like a really frustrating trade, and it's hard to enjoy the game when trades like that happen. About the only decent reasons I can imagine for it are if the Oakland owner figured he's better off with Griffey in the NL than in his own division, or if that owner simply didn't notice that he had a sitemail. (I have overlooked them before... sometimes the new message icon pops up, sometimes it doesn't.) But that's just trying to imagine the reasons, I can only wonder what the owners involved would say.
6/29/2022 9:02 PM
This sounds like a lotta bad blood between owners in a league spilling out into the open. Bad trades happen all the time - as others have said that doesn’t equate to collusion. Sometimes people don’t open sitemails - or at least not all of them when looking at offers.

there have been a lot of people I respect who’re in the league and while they agree the trade wasn’t the best, you’re alone in your feelings of collusion and slander against epup. Epup is an owner who has garnered nothing but respect from me over the many years we’ve played together.

being a commissioner is hard work. Not only the running of drafts and compiling available player lists, but in trying to manage the opinions, frustrations, and outcries from the 15-23 other owners in the league. I know I’ve made mistakes as commish, sometimes changing course too suddenly after knee jerk reactions, but I always try to maintain an open league that allows for owners to post concerns/opinions in the league forum or through sitemail. However, If an owner is just trying to disrupt the league and isn’t posting for any benefit, I’ve sitemailed owners asking that they vent their frustrations to me through sitemail rather than muddy the league chats. I’m not in the league, it I can definitely understand why epup felt the need to ask you to stop posting, and there’s a lot more to it than just the issue being discussed.

I hope both sides are able to come to an peaceful understanding. Threads like this don’t do any good for the site, this league, or progressive leagues in general imo - maybe having an off-season veto measure that allows owners to object to trades even when not in the league will help all parties involved. Measures of that nature can slow a draft down tremendously though if it’s concerning draft picks that get put on hold.
7/2/2022 12:09 AM
Nobody was posting to disrupt anything; I was posting to make people aware of what was happening. He didn't handle this well at all. It was personal and not only not in the best interests of the league, but not something a commish should have the power to do. I've played in leagues for years with people I didn't necessarily like and people that I didn't always agree with. The only ones I've ever aired grievances about were epup and a commish in the NBA progressive world that was caught by wis running 2 teams in a world he was commish of. If I'm posting about it here, you earned it.
7/2/2022 11:36 AM
◂ Prev 123
Icon/ 1989 Progressive League Warning Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2026 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.