Posted by anthatortc on 9/26/2026 10:58:00 AM (view original):
It certainly depends on the type of league you want. I wouldn’t play a full lottery league for my first league where I expect to be bad. If you’re going to have a draft based on pick order having 1/3rd of the league eligible for the bottom pick with equal chances is a lot. 4 teams sounds little but in a 12 team league it’s tons of teams.
Maybe I’ll change my mind eventually after seeing other leagues but as a first time player who expects to be bad getting 4th pick with a bottom record basically means not improving.
FWIW. I agree w/ CG1s comments completely. Also the fact that having played this exact era recently in another progressive...there are MANY really good players and with only 12 teams it will be competitive. My prediction is the guys who Win in this league will be those who best manage the CP challenges. Its not about being able to draft Walter Johnson and keep him for 15 years...its about drafting good players and staggering the CPs so you dont lose your 5-6 key guys in a year and then get a bad draft pick and have no way to replace. It will drive trades and draft strategy. Also understand some guys will draft to Win in Yr 1 and others will draft to Win in out years..that is what makes initial drafts SO much fun.
I always welcome newer folks to WIS because many drop out (veteran owners using cookie teams repeatedly, or exploit them in trades, or it just gets old playing the same owners over and over). Whatever the reason, this is a good game, its not just about drafting stars, the settings, the normalization #, the parks, the fielding, etc. all come into play vs. just the historical stats and HoF. If you are newer to WIS, you may struggle in a league like this but
you will also learn a lot. There are some very good owners on this site that after 20+yrs I am still amazed at the things they have figured out or the analytics they do to Win. I just enjoy the competition.
Good luck w/ whatever you decide but I would say listen/think about the advice of guys who have been here/done that...they know a lot. Doesnt make them right, it may sound crazy and you dont have to like them but more often than not, you learn.